How I Built a ROM from Source (Hopefully?)

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen a machine power off during a compile. Only thing I can think of is overheating.

Overclock your fans. Might help.

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Tapatalk 2

Next time I try to build, I'll monitor the CPU temp while it's building to see if there's an unsafe increase. Thanks!

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
TheKraven and Bigsupersquid have both made suggestions that will help me to nail down the problem. Bigsupersquid suggested that I log the output from the terminal by adding a "> output.txt" to the end of the make command. Both said that they have had crashes during a build, one from hard drive issues, the other from RAM getting too full. TheKraven suggested that I increase the size of my swap partition to accommodate the needs of the build process. I'm going to do both of these things and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for all their help!

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So, because I didn't setup discrete partitions for all the system folders (i.e. just an ext4 / partition, and a swap), I had to reinstall Ubuntu to get an increased swap size. It's probable that there was a way to do it without reinstalling, but I tried Gparted, and it gave me a warning that moving the partition could cause boot issues. At any rate, my system is back up, with an increased swap partition, and I'm ready to start from scratch. No big deal, I just hope I've got a minute here or there to get everything ready for an overnight repo sync.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Even with the increased swap partition, it still crashed, although it seemed that it took a lot longer to crash. This is the last line of output it recorded:

Code:
[33mtarget Dex: FrameworksCoreTests

Unless anyone has any ideas, I guess I'm gonna try again overnight and see if it stops at the same line or not. I can't imagine that the swap is not large enough, as I've got 4Gbs of RAM, and a 10 Gb swap partition. If anyone at all has any suggestions, I'm willing to give it a try. Or if anyone needs to see more of the output, I'll upload it somewhere (1.6 Mb txt file).

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to TheKraven for fixing me on the real cause of my problem: heat. My little laptop was suffering without A/C in the Florida summer, and as it tried to do some of the more demanding parts of the build process, it simply overheated and shutdown. I had to put it on a cookie sheet, with a box fan in front of it, with an ice-pack situated wherever it seemed to be heating up.

And that did it! Keeping it cool allowed it to finish building. I'm going to add all the details later today to the OP so hopefully no one else has to go through a similar process. But hey, it's done now! Time to start tweaking it and making it my own!

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And I forgot that tvall mentioned the overheating issue first. Thanks tvall! Had I followed your advice when you offered it, I would've been a few days ahead already.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm totally working on this still, just, you know, life and stuff getting in the way. 10th anniversary with my lady tonight, but I still might add a little on later.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, thanks to all who have gotten me this far: Bigsupersquid, tvall, TheKraven, upconvert, and AndyOpie150. All of the feedback you all have given me has been indispensable. I am indebted to all of you, and hopefully this thread will be a useful contribution to what's left of the OV and OS community.

bkttk2

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, thanks to all who have gotten me this far: Bigsupersquid, tvall, TheKraven, upconvert, and AndyOpie150. All of the feedback you all have given me has been indispensable. I am indebted to all of you, and hopefully this thread will be a useful contribution to what's left of the OV and OS community.

Thanks for this! I still follow the OV forums but use a Reverb now. I have been wanting to try building from source and think this thread will be very informative. Appreciate you helping to expand the dev community.

Sent from my SPH-M950

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this! I still follow the OV forums but use a Reverb now. I have been wanting to try building from source and think this thread will be very informative. Appreciate you helping to expand the dev community.

Sent from my SPH-M950

Good to hear! I've got a little more work to do to make it usable, but it's getting there. I'd also like to add some sections on using git, which I'm still sorting out myself, and on modifying the various parts of the ROM to make it truly custom. It's a work in progress, so keep an eye on it, but I'm really glad to hear from someone that intends to use it, as most (if not all) of those who have commented are already knowledgeable on the subject. Good luck in your pursuits!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
...as most (if not all) of those who have commented are already knowledgeable on the subject. Good luck in your pursuits!
I've built other people's unmodified roms, and generic AOSP gingerbread, but never even got the device folders working for that.
I know how to force it to build, but wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable about building roms with modifications.
kernels, I've looked and poked at enough to claim a little know-how.
really, though, all my building and porting things is 90% cut and paste, and 10% googling errors and solutions.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've built other people's unmodified roms, and generic AOSP gingerbread, but never even got the device folders working for that.
I know how to force it to build, but wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable about building roms with modifications.
kernels, I've looked and poked at enough to claim a little know-how.
really, though, all my building and porting things is 90% cut and paste, and 10% googling errors and solutions.

Well, your "little know-how" has helped a lot of people. I guess I'm using the same cut/paste and Google method, but maybe by the end of this we'll all know a little more!

If anyone else decides to try this out, please let us know how it worked for you. I'll hopefully have a little time later to work on the thread some more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown