Stuck on Boot Loop

rolyfbaby

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an LG Optimus V, rooted via Superoneclick, with ClockworkMod Recovery on it. I did an LG Style Wipe yesterday that put my phone into "recovery boot loop". I had an old backup, I backed it up and didnt help. Still in the loop.

I've tried reading guides and they all talk about ADB, Emulators, Xionia, flashing, and roms. I have no idea what any of the above vocabulary means. Please help. I dont know how to do ANYTHING.

Symptoms:
Shows LG Screen then goes to ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.1

Tried Battery Pull, and nothing. Reboot system now doesnt help.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanecko

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Steps courtesy of Eollie from another thread:

Pull the battery out wait 5 minutes.

Put battery back in. DONT TOUCH POWER YET.

Hold down the volume down, home and push power.
Keep them held down until you see the LG screen flash on and then off.
Release the buttons.

This should put you in custom recovery.
Plug your phone into the computer with the usb cable
Using the volume buttons to go up and down to mounts and stoarage select it with the camera button.
Go down to mount sdcard using the camera button select that.

You should now see a pop-up on your computer asking what to do do with the new drive.
Select view folder.

Now download this file.
Xionia_CWMA_12518.4_VM_Recovery.zip

Once you get it downloaded DO NOT UNZIP IT.
Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
No back on the phone select unmount sdcard.

Use the back key to go back to the main screen, on it you should see a option to flash zip from sdcard.
Select it, then choose zip from sdcard choose that.
It will open your sdcard up, scroll down until you see the zip you downloaded and transfered to you sdcard.

Select it. You will be prompted with are you really sure. Select yes.

Go to the main menu again. Scroll to advanced then select reboot recovery.
It should reboot to the new recovery.

In the xionna recovery there is a option to fix bootloop. Select that and wait till its done. then reboot your phone.

rolyfbaby

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Steps courtesy of Eollie from another thread:

Pull the battery out wait 5 minutes.

Put battery back in. DONT TOUCH POWER YET.

Hold down the volume down, home and push power.
Keep them held down until you see the LG screen flash on and then off.
Release the buttons.

This should put you in custom recovery.
Plug your phone into the computer with the usb cable
Using the volume buttons to go up and down to mounts and stoarage select it with the camera button.
Go down to mount sdcard using the camera button select that.

You should now see a pop-up on your computer asking what to do do with the new drive.
Select view folder.

Now download this file.
Xionia_CWMA_12518.4_VM_Recovery.zip

Once you get it downloaded DO NOT UNZIP IT.
Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
No back on the phone select unmount sdcard.

Use the back key to go back to the main screen, on it you should see a option to flash zip from sdcard.
Select it, then choose zip from sdcard choose that.
It will open your sdcard up, scroll down until you see the zip you downloaded and transfered to you sdcard.

Select it. You will be prompted with are you really sure. Select yes.

Go to the main menu again. Scroll to advanced then select reboot recovery.
It should reboot to the new recovery.

In the xionna recovery there is a option to fix bootloop. Select that and wait till its done. then reboot your phone.

Since I had changed to ThunderC I didnt have the last option to reboot to recovery, I just reboot phone and it worked. Thank you so much, I had been trying to fix this since 10am... so its been around 6 hours of research!

Reactions: crickie

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
give the person 5 minutes to read the rest of the instructions before rushing the process.

it does nothing for the phone.

5 minutes might be overkill, but allowing them to slow down & read the instructions carefully is a good idea. I believe old RAM technology required about 30 seconds of off-state to reset and completely "forget". I'd say 1 minute may be the longest technical requirement.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
give the person 5 minutes to read the rest of the instructions before rushing the process.

it does nothing for the phone.

Really close and a good idea.
However if your at the point of throwing this phone through a window or taking a monkey wrench to it. The five minutes is a let me collect my thoughts period. I should have added in walk away during this time period but I figure if I had people would wait like 20 seconds and start again.

Im glad my half arse instructions helped somebody. And man the typos good lord I have spell check also.../sigh.

jamisonmorris

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone is looping into ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.1 every time I boot it. I accidentally formatted my SD Card and wiped my original backup after doing a factory reset due to data connection issues, but the problem that I can't seem to resolve is that no matter what method I try, and I've tried many, my phone boots into the Clockwork. Even if I successfully flash a rom, kernel, and my stock recovery. The only error that has occurred at all is when I try to either format or mount /sd-ext. Can someone please help me it would be much appreciated, I have tried been trying to find a solution for almost 16 hours straight now with no luck. My device is an Lg Optimus V and I also am not covered by my warranty anymore.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re-read post #2 of this thread. You need to flash the xionia recovery, boot into it, and select the 'fix bootloop option'. Then flash a new ROM, root properly (using Gingerbreak), and reflash a ROM. AND DON'T EVER USE ANDROID SETTINGS "FACTORY RESET" on this PHONE. EVER. Only do factory resets in recovery mode.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I am very grateful for all the info in this post. It was a real butt saver, as well as having all my
info backup. My beloved OV was stuck in that boot loop going nowhere untill I found this post.
It's working again just fine now. Thanks again guys!!!

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Trust the info in this post. I had the same symptoms going on in my phone and had to start from scratch (wiped everything option which was chosen by mistake at 3 am ) I downloaded the stock ROM from xda developers web, Xionia Recovery from this forum link, and all the drivers from LG.
Fortunately I keep backup of everything on my phone on my pc. ( the backup recovery file will not work because Clockworkmod 3.2.0 doesn't have a bootstrapper subroutine or doesn't work due to broken code as a geek friend told me. ) It doesn't run it's own backup. If you have to go this extreme route, load everything on the sd card, mount everything you can, unzip & load stock rom first, then drivers, then Xionia Recovery last which will boot the whole thing. you will have to re-root gingerbreak or whatever you used, but you will have phone again I promise!

rdrgz1992

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
None of this works its just stuck at the black LG screen holding down said buttons does nothing i tried many times over.. no one has any other way?

hanachaiki

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh my goodness! Thank you very much! It worked on LG optimus S!
You saved my ass up! HAHAHA Or else I have to lie to my mom that it wasn't my fault.
And probably have to bring it back to Sprint and as always they'll get money from me. Psh, $$$$
However, I have a question. After you've done this, are you still rooted or not?

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
There is video posted on YouTube to show you how. Just type How To.. your phone make & model, and a great library of video will be there to assist. Whyzor hooked me up with info when I first soft-bricked my OV, and I still owe him many thanks! Still working perfect since!

josinella

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
i want to thank you for your post. I have read posts and tried the fixes in the past with no success. This is the first time that I have gotten something to work. Thanks again, the phone is in the process of rebooting as we speak and my son will be very happy.