jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: [MOD] Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0

finally got it working :)

Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0:

HarmoniousBumblebee2.zip

MD5: 28a21112d4686c994cdf944dbad9a104

I'd recommend a full wipe only because this one is drastically different from 1.0.

Check the first post for full details.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Nice MOD!

One issue I ran into...
I went from BB 2.4 to Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0 and my Links2SD could no longer mount the 2nd partition on my SD card. Did a full wipe and ran the Bumblebee Wiper 1.3 for good measure before installing the new ROM. Went back to BB 2.4 and was able to mount the ext3 partition again. Not sure why.

Also, any way to have the "Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0" take up only one line in the Notifications pull-down?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice MOD!

One issue I ran into...
I went from BB 2.4 to Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0 and my Links2SD could no longer mount the 2nd partition on my SD card. Did a full wipe and ran the Bumblebee Wiper 1.3 for good measure before installing the new ROM. Went back to BB 2.4 and was able to mount the ext3 partition again. Not sure why.

Also, any way to have the "Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0" take up only one line in the Notifications pull-down?

It must be something Bumblebee has that Harmonia doesn't...I dunno what though. I know ticojpunk said that he got links2sd to work with regular harmonia but he had to set it up as fat 32. The farthest I've gotten was that it wouldn't mount the second partition at all. I'll have to take a look at bumblebee to see if there's anything I can do to fix that.

As for the notification area, you'd have to edit the build.prop file. Find "ro.cdma.home.operator" and then if you delete the 2.0 off the end, or maybe just the .0 it could fit on the one line.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

It must be something Bumblebee has that Harmonia doesn't...I dunno what though. I know ticojpunk said that he got links2sd to work with regular harmonia but he had to set it up as fat 32. The farthest I've gotten was that it wouldn't mount the second partition at all. I'll have to take a look at bumblebee to see if there's anything I can do to fix that.

As for the notification area, you'd have to edit the build.prop file. Find "ro.cdma.home.operator" and then if you delete the 2.0 off the end, or maybe just the .0 it could fit on the one line.
Thanks, I'll try FAT32 and let you know if it works. The recovery I'm using (CWMA V-edition) creates 2nd partition as Ext3.

EDIT: I reformatted the 2nd partition to FAT32 and it works fine now. Thanks for the suggestion!

For editing build.prop file, is that something I can do with the ROM already installed? (and easiest way to do it?)

Last edited:

brian117

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

For editing build.prop file, is that something I can do with the ROM already installed? (and easiest way to do it?)

Yes, you can edit it with the ROM already installed. The build.prop file should be located under your /system/ folder. Use some kind of file explorer that allows root exploring and edit it from there.

Also thank you OP for making an update! I will flash this soon and post what I think.

Installed successfully and working great. Smooth as butter and performs great. Love the feeling of having 2 ROMS combined. Thanks for your hard work.

Last edited:

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you can edit it with the ROM already installed. The build.prop file should be located under your /system/ folder. Use some kind of file explorer that allows root exploring and edit it from there.

Also thank you OP for making an update! I will flash this soon and post what I think.

Installed successfully and working great. Smooth as butter and performs great. Love the feeling of having 2 ROMS combined. Thanks for your hard work.
I tried with the bundled File Manager and got an "Error occurs during saving" after editing the build.prop. Do I need to use something like Root Explorer instead?

I agree! Great ROM! Was thinking of switching to Harmonia after Bumblebee development stopped. This gives me the best of both worlds and some nice addons too!

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried with the bundled File Manager and got an "Error occurs during saving" after editing the build.prop. Do I need to use something like Root Explorer instead?

I agree! Great ROM! Was thinking of switching to Harmonia after Bumblebee development stopped. This gives me the best of both worlds and some nice addons too!

I'm not sure if the bundled file manager has root permissions or not. I don't use it, I use root explorer but that isn't free lol and I did want a simple file manger in here for those that need just a simple one.

But otherwise the ROM is mostly Harmonia to be honest, because well they're both similar, and Harmonia still is updated

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure if the bundled file manager has root permissions or not. I don't use it, I use root explorer but that isn't free lol and I did want a simple file manger in here for those that need just a simple one.

But otherwise the ROM is mostly Harmonia to be honest, because well they're both similar, and Harmonia still is updated
Can you see if you're able to edit files with Root Explorer? I don't think it has text-editing capabilities.

And did Bumblebee 2.4 have a way to block the "Ads by AdMob" ads that show up in ads? I'm seeing them in apps now when I don't think I did with BB 2.4.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you see if you're able to edit files with Root Explorer? I don't think it has text-editing capabilities.

And did Bumblebee 2.4 have a way to block the "Ads by AdMob" ads that show up in ads? I'm seeing them in apps now when I don't think I did with BB 2.4.

I just checked and you can edit the build.prop file from root explorer. You have to mount the /system folder as read/write by hitting the button near the top, then long press on the file, scroll down, and select edit with text editor. You'll probably have to restart your phone for the changes to take effect.

Yes I'm pretty sure bumblebee had a script to block ads, I'll have to go look for it but I could include it once I find it (or just upload the file). A quick fix would be to go into airplane mode...lol but without internet there's no ads

Last edited:

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

You saved me the trouble of going on a scavenger hunt (for the file, or for the bumblebee ROM thread which most likely said where it was located in an update or something)

I'll still see what I can pull out of Bumblebee and put into this. If I'm lucky I can just copy/paste and re-sign (that's pretty much what this whole mod is lol just copy and paste)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

ive been using this rom for about a week now. Ive been using some form of CM7 on my OV since aosp was still actively building roms.

I gotta say, it truly felt like a downgrade from 2.3.7 everything was frustrating, moving the text cursor around was annoying. the lack of toggles in the notification shade bothered me to no end. had to go into the settings just to turn wifi on or off and to adjust the sound.

sure, there is a power widget for that but after having it in as accessible a place as the notification shade, I dont think I could live without it in any other rom

my reasons for using this for a week was for the supposed battery life, but it did worse than BACKside I.H.O.

one strange thing I did notice however, was that this rom got me on average 2 or 3 more bars of signal in places where I get less on IHO, and sure, the signal indicator is by no means a real guage, but the speed tests show I was getting over 1.9Mb/s consistantly on 3G, which surprised me becuase I dont see much higher than 1.3 on IHO, even in areas of great signal.

I would love to know if that is something to do with the official virgin mobile source code having been froyo specific and couldnt be ported 100% to GB, or some other factor.

all in all, for a froyo rom, its nice.

but for everyone here who has an Optimus V, you are truly, TRULY, doing yourself a great disservice by not installing a IHO CM7 based rom.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

my reasons for using this for a week was for the supposed battery life, but it did worse than BACKside I.H.O.

To be honest I can't make any claims about the battery life of this, after all it does have additional apps and mods not in Harmonia.

But with regular Harmonia and the 3000mAh battery, I've been able to get 2 1/2 days with wifi always on, and pretty crappy service at my house (always under 2 bars out of 6). Even with the regular battery I got about 20 hours in the same conditions. I've found that any sort of overclocking on Harmonia (even just up to 480Mhz) seems to reduce battery life. Possibly because froyo just isn't as cpu intensive...

one strange thing I did notice however, was that this rom got me on average 2 or 3 more bars of signal in places where I get less on IHO, and sure, the signal indicator is by no means a real guage, but the speed tests show I was getting over 1.9Mb/s consistantly on 3G, which surprised me becuase I dont see much higher than 1.3 on IHO, even in areas of great signal.

I would love to know if that is something to do with the official virgin mobile source code having been froyo specific and couldnt be ported 100% to GB, or some other factor.

I too noticed this. I thought it was my PRL or that Sprint updated their towers...

but I do have to agree, the possibilities are endless. Now if only LG/VM gave the source code to the public when the OV gets gingerbread so IHO can have an official base to start with

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I too noticed this. I thought it was my PRL or that Sprint updated their towers...

but I do have to agree, the possibilities are endless. Now if only LG/VM gave the source code to the public when the OV gets gingerbread so IHO can have an official base to start with

I updated my PRL to 11115 I think (off the top of my head) about 2 months ago. havent touched it since

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I updated my PRL to 11115 I think (off the top of my head) about 2 months ago. havent touched it since

I updated mine to 22081 about a month and a half ago probably, but I had just gotten back from a cross country trip (where I got really good service in Flagstaff, AZ lol) so I thought maybe I had to leave for like a week to clear my home towers out of my phone's memory or something...idk. not complaining lol

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

ive been using this rom for about a week now. Ive been using some form of CM7 on my OV since aosp was still actively building roms.

I gotta say, it truly felt like a downgrade from 2.3.7 everything was frustrating, moving the text cursor around was annoying. the lack of toggles in the notification shade bothered me to no end. had to go into the settings just to turn wifi on or off and to adjust the sound.

sure, there is a power widget for that but after having it in as accessible a place as the notification shade, I dont think I could live without it in any other rom

I noticed surprisingly good battery life from I.H.O after being on BB 2.4 for quite some time. I didn't find the toggles in the notification shade so useful because I want to see and control on/off status without having to pull down the notification shade...I use elixir's widgets for that instead of the standard Power Control widget.

It seems people are willing to put up with various quirks and issues to use these CM7 builds...the ones I experienced (with Mirage 10/22/11 build) in the short time I used it was that it would crash when I went into Calendars -> Calendars (to adjust which calendars were synced/viewable), and you can't easily charge the phone with it off (an issue with all IHO builds).

Once I saw Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0, I jumped ship back to Froyo and I'm happy with it. I was going to go to Harmonia, but this one has most everything I want.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I've found that any sort of overclocking on Harmonia (even just up to 480Mhz) seems to reduce battery life. Possibly because froyo just isn't as cpu intensive...
That's interesting. Someone had done tests a while back (with a different ROM) and found that the sweet spot for good battery life was around 806Mhz. The rationale was that the chip doesn't undervolt when underclocked, so having it take longer to complete tasks actually used more battery (i've found this to be true with computer CPU overclocking...it's undervolting that actually reduces power usage...you underclock to be able to undervolt, but otherwise run at the fastest speed possible at a given voltage).

I was running 600/806, but will lower to 480/806 to see if I notice any difference while running Harmonia.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I just checked and you can edit the build.prop file from root explorer. You have to mount the /system folder as read/write by hitting the button near the top, then long press on the file, scroll down, and select edit with text editor. You'll probably have to restart your phone for the changes to take effect.
Thanks! That worked.

Yes I'm pretty sure bumblebee had a script to block ads, I'll have to go look for it but I could include it once I find it (or just upload the file). A quick fix would be to go into airplane mode...lol but without internet there's no ads
Here's a post with a link to a more updated Hosts file than what's in Bumblebee.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...bumblebee-2-4-6-25-2011-a-87.html#post1311996

Have you tried the Adobe Flash 10.3 with Dolphin HD on this ROM?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

That's interesting. Someone had done tests a while back (with a different ROM) and found that the sweet spot for good battery life was around 806Mhz. The rationale was that the chip doesn't undervolt when underclocked, so having it take longer to complete tasks actually used more battery (i've found this to be true with computer CPU overclocking...it's undervolting that actually reduces power usage...you underclock to be able to undervolt, but otherwise run at the fastest speed possible at a given voltage).

I was running 600/806, but will lower to 480/806 to see if I notice any difference while running Harmonia.

Idk it's strange too...I mean when my phone was idle, it didn't last nearly as long when I overclocked it then when I just left it alone.