[MOD] Harmonious Bumblebee 2.2

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: [MOD] Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0

Thanks! That worked.

Here's a post with a link to a more updated Hosts file than what's in Bumblebee.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...bumblebee-2-4-6-25-2011-a-87.html#post1311996

Have you tried the Adobe Flash 10.3 with Dolphin HD on this ROM?

I actually got the hosts file out of bumblebee and apparently it's a third-party host, so I went to the website and grabbed the newest update (October 13th, 2011)

I have tried it and it's a bit slow still but it works!

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Idk it's strange too...I mean when my phone was idle, it didn't last nearly as long when I overclocked it then when I just left it alone.
That may explain why my battery life on BB 2.4 was so bad when my phone sits idle most of the time. Will definitely give 480 a go to see if there's a difference. Thanks.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I actually got the hosts file out of bumblebee and apparently it's a third-party host, so I went to the website and grabbed the newest update (October 13th, 2011)

I have tried it and it's a bit slow still but it works!
Which website is that? And do you need to backup the existing hosts file (if there is one) before updating it, or does it not matter because the existing one is blank anyways?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Which website is that? And do you need to backup the existing hosts file (if there is one) before updating it, or does it not matter because the existing one is blank anyways?

I didn't see that Harmonia/this mod had that file. I'd back up the existing one if there is one just to be safe.

But I'm going to upload the host file now and add it to the ROM and re-upload that too.

EDIT: the updated host file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ip4np51u2ephx2/hosts.zip

The website is http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

That's interesting. Someone had done tests a while back (with a different ROM) and found that the sweet spot for good battery life was around 806Mhz. The rationale was that the chip doesn't undervolt when underclocked, so having it take longer to complete tasks actually used more battery (i've found this to be true with computer CPU overclocking...it's undervolting that actually reduces power usage...you underclock to be able to undervolt, but otherwise run at the fastest speed possible at a given voltage).

I was running 600/806, but will lower to 480/806 to see if I notice any difference while running Harmonia.

Please read the whole thread (or threads) regarding battery life, your information is wrong.
Someone took the info on the first page and didn't bother reading the rest, where A LOT of information was changed.

This is why the Harmonia thread has the overclock recommendations it does.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

The reasoning I got from the thread that Harmonia linked to was that the cpu should be clocked accordingly to what you'll be doing. Phone sitting idle = low Mhz, phone playing lots of games and videos = high Mhz.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Setting your minimum at full speed is like gluing the gas pedal in your car at full throttle and using the brakes to slow you down.

Your phone essentially has 3 speeds.
Idle or sleep mode - obvious
low speed - for low cpu intensive tasks, such as streaming or gps
high speed - for anything requiring hardcore processing

On top of that, 480mhz and below the phone actually drops the cpu voltage. Above 480 and the phone gives the processor full voltage.

For things needing lots of power, usually short term things like opening a program, the faster the CPU the better. Get it done as fast as possible and then put the cpu back to idle. This was the premise of the battery tests.

The problem is that in the real world, programs don't always work that way. Streaming/playing music and navigation require a constant process, and it doesn't matter how fast the cpu is, it will only stop when the music stops. Same for navigation. These processes are low cpu intensity, so by forcing the system to run at full speed, the CPU runs at full speed even for these low power applications.

Now, here is where it gets tricky and where people make mistakes.
Say you set the minimum at 240 (the lowest the phone actually supports) and the high at 806, your low is enough for widgets to run. It may even be enough for playing music. It is not however, enough to stream music or use navigation. When the processor needs more than the minimum you set, it jumps to maximum speed. Let me say that again, when an app exceeds the minimum speed, it jumps to MAXIMUM. So if you set 240, it's fine for playing music, but as soon as you stream, it forces you all the way up to 806. There is no in between. By setting 360 or 480 for a minimum, you have a speed that can be used for apps requiring a medium amount of processor, without jumping to the maximum.

Your high is irrelevant, set it one or two notches below stable, and then set the minimum based on your need. For no long term use programs, 240 is fine. For playing mp3's, 240 is probably fine. For streaming or nav you need at least 360, to stream and use nav, you want about 480. Remember, once you breech that minimum, the phone spikes to full speed. So if you are doing something minor and your phone is getting hot, you need to increase your minimum.

As for the high speed,
Stable, isn't always truly stable. Yes, you might get away with 806 or 840, and your phone may appear to run fine, but how many errors is it masking that you can't see? Just because it doesn't restart does not mean it's stable. Those minor errors means the processor has to work extra to redo them or work around them so as not to crash. Because the cpu throttles, you may not see any minor instability, you woudl need to run something that uses full cpu for several hours to be sure. Instead, the simple method is see what runs "stable", I.E. no rebooting, and then take it down one or two notches. That is likely your fastest, truly stable speed.

Reactions: funnybrains12

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Well that's what I'm saying though. In my real world tests, the phone was idle most of the time, so the lower speed gave the most benefits. Other people's situations may be different.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Well that's what I'm saying though. In my real world tests, the phone was idle most of the time, so the lower speed gave the most benefits. Other people's situations may be different.

I wasn't directing it at you, just trying to explain further.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

On top of that, 480mhz and below the phone actually drops the cpu voltage. Above 480 and the phone gives the processor full voltage.
Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Yes, I haven't followed those threads in some time. Back then, it was thought the processor ran at fixed voltage. Do you know how it was determined that the voltage was being dropped for 480Mhz or below? (i.e. are there apps that can report cpu voltage). And it's all the same voltage from 245Mhz to 480Mhz, right?

When the processor needs more than the minimum you set, it jumps to maximum speed. Let me say that again, when an app exceeds the minimum speed, it jumps to MAXIMUM. So if you set 240, it's fine for playing music, but as soon as you stream, it forces you all the way up to 806. There is no in between. By setting 360 or 480 for a minimum, you have a speed that can be used for apps requiring a medium amount of processor, without jumping to the maximum.
I had thought the Interactive governor had different speed steps, while it was OnDemand that would do the single step up? If not, what's the difference between those two governors?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Yes, I haven't followed those threads in some time. Back then, it was thought the processor ran at fixed voltage. Do you know how it was determined that the voltage was being dropped for 480Mhz or below? (i.e. are there apps that can report cpu voltage). And it's all the same voltage from 245Mhz to 480Mhz, right?

I had thought the Interactive governor had different speed steps, while it was OnDemand that would do the single step up? If not, what's the difference between those two governors?

I have no idea on any of that, sorry.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
How do I reformat it ext3 to fat32?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

You'll have to use your computer to do that. If you got Linux you can just use fdisk or Gparted or whatever you use. For windows there's a way to partition a removable device, but I forgot what it was. Google should help you with that though.

joshgee

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, ill try that when I get back inside. Also, big props to this rom. its sick as .

joshgee

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My sdcard is a 16gb samsung sdhc, I cant get to work on that or my sandisk 4gb. What kind of sdcard are you guys using?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

if you have windows, it's really picky about partitioning flash drives.
to use gparted without installing linux or downloading a whole huge live cd, you can use hiren boot cd.
lots of handy tools on that to have if your computer crashes thoroughly, too.
gparted works well. the only problem I've had using it is the fat partition isn't automounted in linux when turning on usb storage. widows still automounts it ok, though. I have successfully used gparted on (2) 8GB cards by different manufacturers, and the (2) 2GB cards that came with my ov's.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non