Optimus V Community Build Server

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to try it out but don't want to clog it up with my learning time. I can't seem to get any flavor of Linux running on my machine I have now. Usually always hardware incompatibilities, with either my video card (GeForce 5200FX) or my wi-fi dongle which is a Ralink RT5370 (ethernet is broken).

Is it totally stupid to just use a really old version of a distro? I'm thinking of trying out Ubuntu 8 or 9 and see if I get better results that way.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is super fast and awesome. Thanks so much Leslie.
So, since it has everything we need on it already, it doesn't matter if I don't have java, SDK, other stuff or even if I switch to a dif version of Linux right. I guess so but thought I'll double check before doing so.

Thanks again. :)
:)

The only requirements on your end is an ssh client to build and sshftp client to download the rom after.
Jave, Linux, Windows, Android, Mac, Beos, whatever, it doesn't matter as long as yuo have at least an SSH client. All your end does is connect to my machine through SSH, my machine does the rest.

You are just a "thin client" or terminal, that is the beauty of it, you can actually build from any internet connected system that has an ssh client, including your phone since my machine does the actual physical work.

You could actually start a build with your phone when you get off work, drive home, and download the resulting rom with your computer when you got home. Provided nothing fails.

I almost splurged on a 6core AMD and board for it tonight that could have used the 16gigs of ddr3 I have sitting around. Hard to justify when the box is as fast as it is. Yeah, I'm a geek. LOL

I'd love to try it out but don't want to clog it up with my learning time. I can't seem to get any flavor of Linux running on my machine I have now. Usually always hardware incompatibilities, with either my video card (GeForce 5200FX) or my wi-fi dongle which is a Ralink RT5370 (ethernet is broken).

Is it totally stupid to just use a really old version of a distro? I'm thinking of trying out Ubuntu 8 or 9 and see if I get better results that way.
That is the problem with Linux, if everything works the way you want "out of the box", everything goes fantastic. As soon as you leave that comfort zone, all hell can break loose. Windows may be a bit rough to start, but it's usually not super hard to fix.

You might want to consider using Dropbox.
It will be slower, but you can keep using Windows. If you have an older slower spare computer, try setting that up and use VNC or TeamViewer to remote control it. Speed won't matter as much when it's a box sitting in your closet as opposed to slowing down your personal computer. If you don't have one, ask around, people often have spare, old, junk computers laying around that they are happy to get rid of to someone who won't steal the info from it.

These days you can get a P4 with2gigs of ram and a 17in monitor for $100 of you know where to look, so there is a lot of cheap hardware out there if you look for it.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry about "clogging it up". It only takes a few minutes to build. If you're really worried, limit your "-j" option to 2. ;)

I'd be surprised if recent versions of Ubuntu didn't support your hardware. But if they don't and you have a pretty fast machine, running Linux under VMWare might be an option to consider.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The only requirements on your end is an ssh client to build and sshftp client to download the rom after.
Yes, but rsync does wonders for bandwidth and speed. I can usually pull a rebuild of a ROM with rsync in less than 10% of the time it takes to scp it down.

I almost splurged on a 6core AMD and board for it tonight that could have used the 16gigs of ddr3 I have sitting around. Hard to justify when the box is as fast as it is. Yeah, I'm a geek. LOL
That would rock. Your build server is just begging to have 16gb. Come on, you know you wanna. ;)

I think a second drive in a striped configuration would also do wonders for performance.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
These days you can get a P4 with2gigs of ram and a 17in monitor for $100 of you know where to look, so there is a lot of cheap hardware out there if you look for it.

About two months ago I made my mom really mad because I spent like 10 minutes trying to make 4 machines like that fit into her Mazda miata (with me and her in it) after my internship. Ended up only fitting two. (Work had 11 of them they were pretty much throwing away. I wanted to take all 11... would have made a nice cluster computing project).
I sold one for $50, the other I build android and dslinux on

Last edited:
Reactions: pbailey212

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but rsync does wonders for bandwidth and speed. I can usually pull a rebuild of a ROM with rsync in less than 10% of the time it takes to scp it down.

That would rock. Your build server is just begging to have 16gb. Come on, you know you wanna. ;)

I think a second drive in a striped configuration would also do wonders for performance.
Yes, I do wanna. :)

When drive prices fall a bit more or I find a real good deal on a 1TB WD Caviar Black to match what's in it I will be getting a second drive.

The problem with the 6 core was that while the CPU was on sale for $20 off, the only boards they had in stock to fit 4sticks of ddr3 were full ATX or $140. At that rate I could have gotten a 2500K and MATX board. I'm switching all my systems to matx for space reasons and while I like you guys, spending $250 to upgrade an already fast server is a bit much.

I am keeping my eyes open though.
Like I said, I have 16gigs of ddr3 sitting on a shelf from another project and I want a second drive, it's only a matter of time and what cpu/board it ends up with.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tip about rsync! I've been using scp, usually takes about 10 minutes to transfer. After the speed of the build (mine usually take about 20 minutes on Leslie's beast), waiting for scp to complete is a drag. ;)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The only machine I have now, the one I use daily, is a P4 2.8ghz. A pretty old Dell. Because of how much learning I'd have to do (starting from the VERY beginning here), I would be comfortable learning on my own hardware before I touch anyone else's.

Ubuntu 11 has heaps of trouble with my video card, but the wireless works after messing around with the drivers. I couldn't ever find drivers that would work right with my video card. It would stick in 800x600 or 1024x768 which isn't terrible, but I have a widescreen monitor and it really bugs me seeing everything stretched out. It just overall ran REALLY slow. Windows XP and 7 both run like a champ though. I know I can develop in Windows, but I'd like to do it the 'right' way, which from what I can tell is doing it from a Linux environment.

I'm thinking that I may just grab some more RAM and a cheap video card and see if that helps things, but I almost hate dumping money into it at this point.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Status update...

As I mentioned in the one thread, my router has taken a fall.
My router has two bands, one for Wireless N and a second for Wireless G. The G side of it has died so I have a spare router covering for that. The second is known to lockup, but that won''t effect the build box. It may not sound like a big deal, but this could signal that the entire router is failing, it has been showing signs lately and this is the latest and biggest.

I'm looking into it to see if a firmware update will fix it or not. If not, I will be replacing it.
In the meantime, if the primary router should fail entirely, I will have to switch to the backup and it will suffer from lockups (which I will try and stay on top of). In which case I should have a replacement in less than 24hours, 48 tops.

I'm hoping I can fix the primary, and if not, I'll wait for a good sale and hope things holds out, but if it goes, I will just go get one as quick as possible.

Reactions: Discovered

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Status update...

My router has two bands, one for Wireless N and a second for Wireless G. The G side of it has died so I have a spare router covering for that. The second is known to lockup, but that won''t effect the build box. It may not sound like a big deal, but this could signal that the entire router is failing, it has been showing signs lately and this is the latest and biggest.

I'm looking into it to see if a firmware update will fix it or not. If not, I will be replacing it.
In the meantime, if the primary router should fail entirely, I will have to switch to the backup and it will suffer from lockups (which I will try and stay on top of). In which case I should have a replacement in less than 24hours, 48 tops.

I'm hoping I can fix the primary, and if not, I'll wait for a good sale and hope things holds out, but if it goes, I will just go get one as quick as possible.

Could this be the reason I have been getting connection socket fails (something like that)?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I thought about that and doubted it, but now that I think back, I started having issues around the same time the wireless started having issues.

It's looking more and more like the router is dying.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Status update...

Are you running the stock firmware on it? I have an e2000 and run tomato on it and it hasn't had issues yet. But I run very few services on my computer with very few connections compared to your build server..

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I thought about that and doubted it, but now that I think back, I started having issues around the same time the wireless started having issues.

It's looking more and more like the router is dying.

I wondered. I'm trying to work on a secret project and I couldn't get a sync

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I ran it with stock firmware for two years and NEVER had a single problem. I updated it to the latest and it ran well, but not quite the same. My model is actually not an e3000, it's the WRT610-N v2, which was renamed the e3000. Last I saw DD-WRT was all that could run on it, and I have lost a lot of faith in DD-WRT over the last year.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty convinced the router is failing. There is too much evidence against it, so I went and picked up a Netgear N750 tonight (hour and a half trip!). The 750 will run Tomato (without 5ghz or so I hear).

I plan to experiment with the 610 a bit and see what can be done, but I now have the 750 for a primary.

Earthnfire, I just looked at the TP-Link load balancers, I may end yup grabbing one when I get my new line, since I may have to keep my current and get the second, which would really beef up my load capacity. As it is, I already have a gigabit network, I don't run the server over wireless.

I will be pulling the server offline in a bit for the swap out.
I will try and catch it in a lull, but this time of night, I will be kicking someone. Hopefully this will fix the issues.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Server is back online!

I could see a difference in responsiveness in the first 5 minutes. I noticed that the old router was quite hot compared to normal and that was with one radio not even enabled, so the old router was definitely having issues.

At any rate, it was a good excuse to upgrade to 450mb wireless. :p

Reactions: tdm and sellers86

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap. I didnt think the server could get much better but it did. instead of 240-500 kbs im getting 2-3 mbs. Thanks so much.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap. I didnt think the server could get much better but it did. instead of 240-500 kbs im getting 2-3 mbs. Thanks so much.

Sending to up, or downloading?
If it's on upload to you, I probably missed a throttle somewhere. LOL
Still, it should be much better regardless. I gave to hand it to that old router, it worked flawless for years, and even as it died, it did so gracefully.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at the TP-Link load balancers.

This wireless for my computer is a TP-Link, and as cheap as it is it is the only one that I have had that as not failed: running three years strong. Though TP-Link wireless adapters are not very well supported on Linux systems, the driver is buggy.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Sending to up, or downloading?
If it's on upload to you, I probably missed a throttle somewhere. LOL
Still, it should be much better regardless. I gave to hand it to that old router, it worked flawless for years, and even as it died, it did so gracefully.

download speeds. running great. though it didnt fix my error, its faster now. had to change something in the default.xml and now its going. Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana