Any chance devs, Sense Port?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
More than likely not.
Sense does a lot of weird things, and there is a lot less documentation. It would require a lot more effort then porting something like CM.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The issue is that the custom UI's like Sense and Touchwiz are more then just a heavy skins, there is a lot of framework cooked into the base of the ROM.

It is a really hard port and the OV doesn't have the muscle to do much with current version of Sense, maybe and older one but the Developers are working on CM9 ports and maybe an MIUI port before they consider a sense port

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I.used to dev for the g1 and HTC magic. HTC devices, one with stock sense. Even on those (which would be a lot easier because they are HTC devices that work the way sense roms would expect) porting a sense rom to them is a pain in the a$$. Never got Bluetooth to work on the most popular rom I worked on...

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you value storage space at all on your phone, you do not want sense. Check out the HTC wildfire s forums. They get about 45mbs of app space because of all the htc stuff pre loaded. And the hardware specs are identical to the ov

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So you, devs, have ported CM9 over from the Optimus One/T. What about HTC sense? They have a port that works. :D Any chance?!!

[DEV HELP][PORT] SENSE 2.1 Port Of HTC Hero: G2 Touch--LG P500 - xda-developers

That one specifically can probably be ported to the Optimus S (using the ZVH baseband), but not the Optimus V because the V is still on the old-style baseband.

Clarification:
Radio won't work but in theory everything else could.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well this IS sense 2.1 port, and the newest one is 3.6, so it's pretty old. And, the HTC Wildfire (VM) is running sense 2.1 (I believe) and that is a pretty low end device. So, as it running right, there's no idea. I believe our phones could have the capabilities, but it's going to be a real pain. Trust me, I've seen some attempted ports..

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The issue is that the custom UI's like Sense and Touchwiz are more then just a heavy skins, there is a lot of framework cooked into the base of the ROM.

It is a really hard port and the OV doesn't have the muscle to do much with current version of Sense, maybe and older one but the Developers are working on CM9 ports and maybe an MIUI port before they consider a sense port
Correct on all accounts.

I.used to dev for the g1 and HTC magic. HTC devices, one with stock sense. Even on those (which would be a lot easier because they are HTC devices that work the way sense roms would expect) porting a sense rom to them is a pain in the a$$. Never got Bluetooth to work on the most popular rom I worked on...
So people understand, here is one example...
They use a custom bluetooth stack, which has been troublesome even for HTC and hated by devs.

zazilez

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
On XDA my friend gerbetta33 supposedly ported sense 3.0 over, idk if he was grabbing for attention, or if he actually did, but hes noy open to releasing it and i even asked a little, he said in the past whenever he ported something he never got enough thanks or help, but why keep such a great thing? Idk if u guys know him, but maybe u can convince him.

Sent fron my vm670 running cm7.2 IHO BACKside

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
On XDA my friend gerbetta33 supposedly ported sense 3.0 over, idk if he was grabbing for attention, or if he actually did, but hes noy open to releasing it and i even asked a little, he said in the past whenever he ported something he never got enough thanks or help, but why keep such a great thing? Idk if u guys know him, but maybe u can convince him.

Sent fron my vm670 running cm7.2 IHO BACKside

Interesting. I frequent xda quite often and I don't recall seeing it.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh gosh please no... Sense and other overlay UI's just bog down your phone and make doing even simple things like sending a text a pain in the @$$. Sense has issues running usable on the latest dual core phones, I don't even want to image how terrible it would be on the V....

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
People want what they want. I been looking at this off and on for a few weeks. First things first firerats repartitioning method would need to be implemented. Then picking the right one would be key because which version of sense do you want? I would like a version with the theme chooser but looking through the wildfire ROM it would already have data and mms working. So it would be easier to get tobeta status

Reactions: CuriousNoob