Loose USB port

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I use a Galaxy A23 5G. It doesn't matter what type of USB-C cable I use - new or old, or even the official Samsung cable itself -- they all sit very loosely inside the port and can pop out at even the most slightest vibration. I have woken up to go to work with my battery life being drained by %25+ sometimes because it would just slide out overnight just enough to where the connection is no longer present. I have tried looking inside and cleaning it out with a thin sharp tool meant for reaching such areas, but I can't figure out what is the cause. Is it me needing a different type of USB-C, or is my port permanently damaged? I've had this phone for a few years so I don't know if it's maybe wear and tear?

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Actually does anyone know if there are specific USB-C cables that are meant for smartphones, or does it not matter? I have noticed after doing more tinkering that some of my cables (mostly the thick heavy-duty ones that have the high speed data) feel like they "snap" into place, whereas my other longer cables -- i.e. my Anker one I use at home -- only just "slide" in, but I don't feel that snap or feeling of security. These are the cables that will slide out if I am holding my phone sideways for a while and the side of my finger rubs up against it causing it to slide out. Am I thinking way too deep into this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't matter. Anker is a well-known and well-respected brand, so their cables ought to fit any USB-C port well, regardless of what kind of device it is.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
It shouldn't matter. Anker is a well-known and well-respected brand, so their cables ought to fit any USB-C port well, regardless of what kind of device it is.
I understand. I just went again to inspect and clean the port. I used my instrument with a thin metal point meant to get into such crevices, and also brushed around the port and sprayed some compressed air into it. Absolutely nothing seems to be inside there, and the pin appears to be perfectly straight and undamaged, so I'm feeling like it's more on just the way the cable is reacting with the way I hold/handle my phone.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Forgot to report an update here: After going at it once again with my crevice cleaning pen scraper tool as well as brushing around the port, and using a can of compressed air a few times, it seemed to have resolved; all cables now fit snug, and no longer randomly pop out, even the most problematic ones that used to, and under stressful conditions where normally it would for sure come out. Hoping it will hold out.

Reactions: B. Diddy

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to report an update here: After going at it once again with my crevice cleaning pen scraper tool as well as brushing around the port, and using a can of compressed air a few times, it seemed to have resolved; all cables now fit snug, and no longer randomly pop out, even the most problematic ones that used to, and under stressful conditions where normally it would for sure come out. Hoping it will hold out.
That's great !(y) Congrats on your well done cleaning/repair job !

Reactions: NJMike