[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Tried fix_permissions.Still reboots when I get text

Now it's happening on cm7
Just happened again while trying to edit this post. Is there any way to revert to zv5?

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried fix_permissions.Still reboots when I get text

Now it's happening on cm7
Just happened again while trying to edit this post. Is there any way to revert to zv5?

No, flashing the radio is one of the only things that can't be undone.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

Reactions: dobbs69

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid of that. I'm thinking of taking it back to best buy and showing them my reboot problem. Maybe they will replace my phone. I've only had it for two weeks.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if the radio is causing any reboots.
I agree with that logic, Jerry, particularly that the radio itself cannot cause reboots. But there seems to be growing evidence that the combination of IHO and a (properly) updated radio IS causing reboots. And it's not arbitrary reboots using any kind of apps, it's on sending/receiving SMS and on airplane mode cycling. Possibly other actions too that use the cell radio.

I started as a programmer 32 years ago, I know where to look if things get wonky. You've not seen me complain about instability ever, since I first came to IHO in Sep/Oct. But this one has a different feel to it.

So far I'm thinking PRL is not affecting this - which I did suspect for a moment. I'll be doing more studies, including a complete reflash and rebuild (as I see some have already done). But not until Mon pm. Today is wife day!

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I agree with that logic, Jerry, particularly that the radio itself cannot cause reboots. But there seems to be growing evidence that the combination of IHO and a (properly) updated radio IS causing reboots. And it's not arbitrary reboots using any kind of apps, it's on sending/receiving SMS and on airplane mode cycling. Possibly other actions too that use the cell radio.

I started as a programmer 32 years ago, I know where to look if things get wonky. You've not seen me complain about instability ever, since I first came to IHO in Sep/Oct. But this one has a different feel to it.

So far I'm thinking PRL is not affecting this - which I did suspect for a moment. I'll be doing more studies, including a complete reflash and rebuild (as I see some have already done). But not until Mon pm. Today is wife day!

He should flash the stock update again. Then reboot and flash it a second time to insure radio updated.
:
If it were me I would run stock for a few days and see if it happens again. After passing that test I'd root and install a fresh copy of IHO making sure the md5 matches.

I have a properly updated phone, rerooted and happily running IHO. There are too many variables to trouble shoot with out stepping back and removing elements. Since the phone is 2 weeks old it could be hardware issue with the new radio firmware.

I believe its poppycock to say IHO has issues with the new radio.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I ran the update and I'm on an IHO Rom without any reboots or stability issues. Then again, I didn't just use the radio flash (tried, didn't flash) I did the full update then used the Gordita exploit.

Anonymo

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

The radio update is part of VM plan to eliminate the Optimus V and make us all upgrade to the newer phones.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The radio update is part of VM plan to eliminate the Optimus V and make us all upgrade to the newer phones.

How do you figure? They don't care what handset we use, from the network side they all look the same. If I could convince them to activate my old Treo 650 it wouldn't look any different from an Android, iPhone, WebOS, or winmo device.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
He should flash the stock update again. Then reboot and flash it a second time to insure radio updated.
:
If it were me I would run stock for a few days and see if it happens again. After passing that test I'd root and install a fresh copy of IHO making sure the md5 matches.

I have a properly updated phone, rerooted and happily running IHO. There are too many variables to trouble shoot with out stepping back and removing elements. Since the phone is 2 weeks old it could be hardware issue with the new radio firmware.

I believe its poppycock to say IHO has issues with the new radio.

You just jumped in here and clearly missed the context of earlier posts on this subject, from me and others:

I did do the full update twice, that's what I refer to as a "properly" updated radio, one where we can verify ZV9.

And I am specifically NOT claiming conclusively that everybody that run IHO has stability problems (noting there are posts to both effects). I went out of my way to say there is "growing evidence" because several posters have very similar issues. And they are not the same kind of old issues that fill the IHO thread.

And I said I'd be doing more tests myself, including a complete reflash and reinstall - which is what you so cleverly advise me to do.

So give me a break, please.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I ran the update and I'm on an IHO Rom without any reboots or stability issues. Then again, I didn't just use the radio flash (tried, didn't flash) I did the full update then used the Gordita exploit.

Thanks, brother. Yes, that's what I and several others did too. And some of us get these weird and very specific symptoms, others don't.

Saw you writeup, BTW, nice job!

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

You just jumped in here and clearly missed the context of earlier posts on this subject, from me and others:

I did do the full update twice, that's what I refer to as a "properly" updated radio, one where we can verify ZV9.

And I am specifically NOT claiming conclusively that everybody that run IHO has stability problems (noting there are posts to both effects). I went out of my way to say there is "growing evidence" because several posters have very similar issues. And they are not the same kind of old issues that fill the IHO thread.

And I said I'd be doing more tests myself, including a complete reflash and reinstall - which is what you so cleverly advise me to do.

So give me a break, please.

Kitkat? Sorry, I did have it out of context.

I was having some odd issues too right after updating. Turned out my sdcard needed to be repartitioned. I wanted to blame the update. Hopefully my sdcard isn't going bad.

Reactions: Dannemand

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll be editing it to clarify some things and then I'll post it here as well. I just have to budget my time carefully. My baby boy is three months old and colicky, so half my posts are typed with one thumb (with 13lbs of 90dB screaming in my left ear.)

Reactions: Dannemand

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Jerry its true a phone shouldnt be getting reboots because of the radio update. However another process can get out of whack and cause the reboots. If the signal fluctuates during incoming calls, texts use of data can cause it to freak out and trigger a reboot because it thinks something fatal has happened.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

It's a problem I can live with as long as it doesn't get worse. Didn't have any reboots yesterday, and certainly enjoying my MUCH better reception.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking maybe some of the libraries we use in the ROM (or kernel) to access radio features were ones we inherited from LG or VMU. They could've been updated along with ZV9 in the new stock ROM. Pure speculation on my part.

As drez mentioned, one way to find out is run that new stock for a few days - but I'm not that desperate yet :D

Like cole, I've only seen a few reboots so far. That's too many already, but not enough to make me give up the IHO goodness.

Edit: just a note that my library speculation above doesn't explain why some see these issues while others don't. I'm aware of that...

Last edited:

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna do some testing..... When I got this refurbished OV, I cpuld overclock to 825. Was stable. Then I flashed radio update and can't overclock passed 600. Heck, 600, I get freezing problems sometime.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering, can I flash iho recovery, do the radio update, then flash touch recovery back on the ov? Because I'm currently using touch and I really like it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
i installed this update yesterday and im using iho primarily without any adverse effects. no rebooting,fc's...nothing really. cant really say the update did much for me but it didnt hurt anything that i can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty