[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Thanks, they are doing very well. I just re-rooted and flashed the Picasticks v7 Anykernel and have an overclock going on the stock update rom. Running well, and faster of course, which is nice.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
@cole: On stock, are you seeing long delays in sending and receiving sms and (particularly) mms?

For me that's probably an even bigger issue since my update than the reboots. My wife and I use sms extensively between us, and it was usually almost instant delivery (except when vmu was down). Now it's 5-10 mins or more - except the very first messages after reboot.

I didn't see that lag when testing stock ROM; wonder if you're the same.

Edit: oops, saw your post about picasticks etc. Good going.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Since my rild theory has been shot down, I'm thinking the next step might be to get an strace log of rild on the updated ROM and on IHO. Is anyone up to taking that on? I can provide fairly detailed instructions but basic familiarity with the shell would be nice.

Also, after a reboot, do you have a /proc/last_kmsg file? If so, please post it.

Reactions: Dannemand

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I want to apologize if I seemed snipy earlier. Was trying g to deal with xda stuff and offer input here before the thread moved past that too fast.

Tdm I was going g to suggest the kmseg log there are two other that can help but I can't remember exactly the file name. I will look at my scripts and report back.

This is the files I was talking about.
/proc/last_kmsg
/data/tombstones/
/data/system/dropbox/
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

The stock ROM runs without reboots even while rooted. I've been texting like a mad man today and the phones been snappy.

Tomorrow I am going to try Jerry's new ROM and see if the reboots happen.

Reactions: JerryScript

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Since my rild theory has been shot down, I'm thinking the next step might be to get an strace log of rild on the updated ROM and on IHO. Is anyone up to taking that on? I can provide fairly detailed instructions but basic familiarity with the shell would be nice.

I'm up for anything if you can provide instructions. Again, I am not an Android or Linux dev, but I was a dev and designer in a former life, and I never had problems with command lines. Just pm me.

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

ZV9 and BACKside 0409 (just updated to 0409 today) got the reboot issue when i tried to send an sms, works fine after reboot it seems. It does appear to take longer to send though.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

@cole: On stock, are you seeing long delays in sending and receiving sms and (particularly) mms?

For me that's probably an even bigger issue since my update than the reboots. My wife and I use sms extensively between us, and it was usually almost instant delivery (except when vmu was down). Now it's 5-10 mins or more - except the very first messages after reboot.

I didn't see that lag when testing stock ROM; wonder if you're the same.

Edit: oops, saw your post about picasticks etc. Good going.

I saw those delays in IHO, but am not seeing them on the stock ROM, MMS and SMS are both as fast as they should be.

Reactions: Dannemand

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just something to note.. I'm not sure about texting yourself being a good test. I've noticed that texting myself does take longer to send. When I text my wife its almost instantly. And texting myself was what I did when I got my phone to reboot once and it hasent happened since.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Just had it reboot on me again, both times texting my wife. Other texts ive sent today where fine though.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact my phone has been idle for most of the day?

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

The reboots are still happening with Jerry's latest ROM. Today I even got a reboot as i tried placing a call. This was the first time I've seen that happen.

I am starting to believe my worse fears may be coming true... I have to use the stock ROM.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Just something to note.. I'm not sure about texting yourself being a good test. I've noticed that texting myself does take longer to send. When I text my wife its almost instantly. And texting myself was what I did when I got my phone to reboot once and it hasent happened since.

Understood. I cannot think of any logical reason, though, why the phone should act differently when texting my own number. And certainly it shouldn't reboot. Of course texting myself doesn't make much sense except as a test. So if you're looking to keep your phone stable, don't go messaging yourself all the time :D

That said, in my testing this afternoon, I've actually sent two sms for each test cycle, one of them to my VM number, the other to my Google Voice number -- which forwards to my OV. I don't have google Voice app installed, so I don't receive any other notifications, just the sms beying forwarded.

I did another full VM9 update today (twice, of course) in order to test stock ROM again. This time I ran Activate while in stock, hoping it would fix something. I was not able to reproduce any reboots or message lags in stock, but IHO was the same (fresh install). I also just finished testing ICS quattrimus AOKP alpha 8, and no reboots or lags there.

I find that the delivery lags are actually a better indication that something is off (and also more annoying). The reboots may or may not happen, but the lags are very consistent in IHO: After a few messages, sending becomes very slow, and no messages are received for 5-10 mins or longer -- then suddenly they all arrive at once. Again, it's consistent in IHO, but not reproduceable on stock or ICS -- otherwise I would have suspected a VMU network issue.

One other thing I found: it The more apps are installed on IHO, the sooner (or more likely) reboots will happen. On fresh installs, it takes more test cycles compared to a phone loaded with apps. Of course this aligns well with the leaks that mrg666 (and everybody) seem to agree exist i CM7. Still, my wife's phone is loaded beyond imagination -- and she has some issues with it, but none of these SMS and airplane mode problems -- and she never did the VMU update. So it's the combination of the radio/VMU update and a loaded phone that is the most vulnerable.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine just rebooted when sending a text, too. Running BACKside 0409. I've just cleared my data for Handcent, going to try fix_permissions next. I'll be keeping an eye on this and report back.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

How long does fix_permissions take to run? and should i do it from recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallory Knocks