[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Has anyone tried running a 2.2 rom like harmonia or bumblebee, to see if they are stable?

Ive been running Harmonia 1.8 all day and its been rock solid. The reboot issues seem to be with IHO roms only.

P.S. Netflix always lagged really bad with the IHO roms I've tried even when highly overclocked. Netflix runs perfect with Harmonia 1.8 for me.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

P.S. Netflix always lagged really bad with the IHO roms I've tried even when highly overclocked. Netflix runs perfect with Harmonia 1.8 for me.

Strange, I thought IHO was supposed to run Netflix better.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I loaded bumblebee 2.4 .. stable so far. Ill be sticking with froyo I suppose. The keyboard sucks!

Update: ice cream sandwich keyboard from the market is quite nice :)

Last edited:

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Let me rephrase. Netflix lagged at standard clock, medium overclock and maximum overclock in Jerry's and 666's ROMS.

Does it run well on other peoples phones with those roms?

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me rephrase. Netflix lagged at standard clock, medium overclock and maximum overclock in Jerry's and 666's ROMS.

Does it run well on other peoples phones with those roms?

It's never run great for me on any ROM I've used. There's always a little bit of buffering, honestly not that much though.

This space intentionally left blank.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Are there any updates on the issues some users (including myself) experience running IHO after this update? I love ICS but it just isn't stable enough for me. If anyone would like to just point me in the direction of files I can switch around from the update.zip to IHO and whatnot to try to make things work, I'd love to do it, but unfortunately I have no clue where to start. I certainly don't expect anyone to do all the work for me, but some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

This is suspected to be a kernel issue. So we're kinda in the dark until LGE releases the kernel source for the update. I just checked and it's still not published.

We can swap kernels around and test. And that's good as far as it goes. But it's not really the definitive answer that we would like.

Has anyone contacted LGE to request sources for the update yet?

Reactions: Dannemand

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, TDM. I'm not TOO worried about it, Quattrimus is really nice, but eventually it catches up to me not having MMS / fully working 3G and whatnot, especially with the new nephew around, I keep getting messages I can't download, lol. I'll look around for who to contact about getting the source and send a message, and anyone else please do the same.

edit -- http://www.lg.com/us/support/message-customer-service Sent a message through there.

Last edited:

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Darn, I forgot, you asked about that before. There isn't one right now, but I'll check after the next reboot.

I'll try this for sure, I can usually reproduce this at will. I am on MiRaGe 04/03 which is downloaded from here here. Problem is I am really busy today, it will probably be tomorrow. If anyone beats me to it, all the better...

Edit: oh, and thanks a lot for your focus on this, much appreciated :)

Sorry for the delay. Here's a zip with a new boot image and the kernel modules. Only use this with MiRaGe 04/03!

Instructions:

0. Make sure you have the original ROM available in case something goes wrong!
1. Unzip on your PC
2. Use adb to push the *.ko files to /system/lib/modules (extra credit: chmod 644 /syste/lib/modules/*.ko)
3. Use adb to push boot-gk.img to /data/local
4. Get a root shell and run "flash_image boot /data/local/boot-gk.img".
5. Reboot

If anything goes wrong, restore the original files or re-flash the original ROM from recovery.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I'll give it a shot tonight as well. You think it would be safe to use it on Harmonia, since it's based off of mrg666's builds, or am I getting ahead of myself?

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I'll give it a shot tonight as well. You think it would be safe to use it on Harmonia, since it's based off of mrg666's builds, or am I getting ahead of myself?

The boot.img contains both the kernel and the boot scripts. So you can't use it on any other ROM because the boot scripts won't match. You need to build a new boot.img specifically for each ROM. It's not hard to do but can be daunting if you don't have the tools installed and some familiarity with the process.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Gotchya. I'll flash the Mirage build tonight and add these files and see what happens. Thanks again.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
@tdm: I cannot thank you enough for your attention and focus on this issue. I'll try it later tonight. I'm still on Mirage 4/3 as my daily, so it should be easy.

Oddly, my reproduction procedure doesn't seem to be as consistent as before (stop laughing guys, I'm talking about this reboot issue ;) )

Last weekend I spent hours testing as I wanted to write up my findings, and I couldn't reproduce a single reboot. Then later (after a manual reboot to clear things up) it rebooted on me TWICE when I sent an SMS to my wife.

I'm not so sure any longer that it's a leak or stack overflow. I'm thinking more there is a timing delay in a driver being off (say, waiting before reading a register) and depending on network conditions it sometimes misses a beat. So repeat airplane mode cycles and sending/receiving SMS merely increase the probability of hitting that condition, but doesn't necessarily "build up" to it.

I did a lot of driver development many years ago, and using noop loops for register delays would cause these kind of things. I only saw suck hack jobs in other people's code, of course, never my own :D

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for the delay. Here's a zip with a new boot image and the kernel modules. Only use this with MiRaGe 04/03!

Instructions:

0. Make sure you have the original ROM available in case something goes wrong!
1. Unzip on your PC
2. Use adb to push the *.ko files to /system/lib/modules (extra credit: chmod 644 /syste/lib/modules/*.ko)
3. Use adb to push boot-gk.img to /data/local
4. Get a root shell and run "flash_image boot /data/local/boot-gk.img".
5. Reboot

If anything goes wrong, restore the original files or re-flash the original ROM from recovery.

Figured I'd install it right away so that it can run it while I am out doing other things.

Installed fine, boots fine, reports as 2.6.36.7-tdm-gk-0.1+ kernel. Tested about 10 SMSs (some to my OV number and some roundtripping to my GV number) and so far no reboots AND no SMS lags; SMS delivery does seem faster, though still too early for any conclusions.

I sometimes have an issue getting my screen back after it turns off, and I've had to pull the battery a few times. I disabled rotation animation, see if that helps (though I never saw those freezes before that others have reported). In any case not a problem just for the purpose of radio testing.

Thanks again, man. I really have to get going now, but I'll let you know later whether I can reproduce the reboots and lags with this one.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Figured I'd install it right away so that it can run it while I am out doing other things.

Installed fine, boots fine, reports as 2.6.36.7-tdm-gk-0.1+ kernel. Tested about 10 SMSs (some to my OV number and some roundtripping to my GV number) and so far no reboots AND no SMS lags; SMS delivery does seem faster, though still too early for any conclusions.

I sometimes have an issue getting my screen back after it turns off, and I've had to pull the battery a few times. I disabled rotation animation, see if that helps (though I never saw those freezes before that others have reported). In any case not a problem just for the purpose of radio testing.

Thanks again, man. I really have to get going now, but I'll let you know later whether I can reproduce the reboots and lags with this one.

the screen wakeup issue sound like what happens with when trying gingerkernel or iscream kernel on IHO. turn off the screen on/off animations and turn your min clock up a bit. the governer made a difference too but i cant remember what one i had the best results with.... TDM is this the reworked gingerkernel?

Status
Not open for further replies.