Sony Tablet S w/ ICS Battery life?

tamc3

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to ICS on Thursday night and ICS is AWESOME! Much better than honeycomb on the S, which I used constantly. However, anyone else noticing a huge drop in battery life? I used to go almost a week between charges, now my battery is down to 50% by the end of a day. I did install Chrome Beta, which is much better than the default browser.

(I'm also noticing as my typos stack up in this msg, if I hit backspace, it will double the first letter of the last word...)

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ICS is truly great and loving my tablet even more. i haven't noticed any real change to the battery life though. Are you sure one of the newly installed apps or one of the general sync settings isn't set to either push or pull to often? have you checked through most of the apps?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Redbird1

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this will be my next tablet. Looks like a great multimedia device? Any thoughts from new owners?

I'm really surprised that Sony tablets don't have their own forum.

Sent using Tapatalk

skmayer

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I highly recommend this tablet. The design is extremely useful and well thought out.

It really shines with multimedia and reading. It is missing an HDMI, but with dlna capable box it isn't needed.

It already has ICS, unlike some other tablets.

I have no idea why this tablet doesn't get more pub. I would highly suggest the Tablet S over any other tablet.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Central Forums

Helghast

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Some input from fellow Sony Tablet S users please.

I ordered one of these tablets from Amazon and just received it two days ago. I love this tablet so far with the exception of one major problem. The battery seems to drain ridiculously fast. When I received the tablet I updated to Ice Cream Sandwich as soon as the battery was full enough. I got just under six hours of use out of the first charge which is not too bad, except for that was with really light browsing, some twitter and email reading, and the screen brightness way down. Once I charged it back up I noticed right away the battery seemed to be draining extremely fast. I observed the battery drain from 97% down to 91% in just 10 minutes while browsing a couple web pages, and checking my email in the native email app. Is this normal for this tablet? Is this normal for other Android tablets? I want something with good battery life, but I do not want an iPad, though if this is normal for Android tablets, I may have to consider an iPad. I love everything else about this tablet. I love Sony's modifications to Android and all of their media apps. I love the shape of this tablet and really do not want to have to get a different tablet, but this battery just does not seem to last as long as it should, but I don't know if its just me. Any reply's would be much appreciated.:)

elfeneco

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the same diagnosis and symptoms for me since I updated Tablet S with ICS.
I was kind of thinking if it wouls been also caused by an app instead of ICS itself ??? :-\

Helghast

May 15, 2012
Visit site
The only problem is I never actually tested the battery life on Honeycomb. I updated to ICS as soon as I could so I dont know what the battery life is like on Honeycomb. How long did your battery seem to last before you updated to ICS?

elfeneco

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Before update, 4 to 5 days in standby all day long except between 7:00PM to 11:pM. Now it's 1 or 2 days with the same activity.

I've tried to uninstall Chrome which kind of had suspicious behaviour, I'll tell you if that changes anything. :confused:

Helghast

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been able to extend my standby battery by using a widget to disable the wifi while in standby. I also have Chrome but I installed it because I heard it uses less power than the default browser so I don't think that is the problem as I was having the battery problem before I installed Chrome. Defiantly let me know if you learn anything, and I will do the same.:cool:

tamc3

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
When I upgraded to ICS, active wallpaper was turned on some how. Set it back to a static picture and got most of my battery life back. The new picture is much brighter that the pic I had under hhoneycomb, which maybe some of the drain according to other threads.

Still sorting out why it locks up 2 timeouts after I charge in the cradle, but I think that might be an app...

Otherwise I still highly recommend the S!

elfeneco

May 17, 2012
Visit site
48 hours after last charge, battery still have 55% power. As I said before I uninstalled Chrome and 20 hours later I also installed Auto Airplane Mode, as I can see on battery use graph, it is very efficient...
Now, I'm gonna install again Chrome to cross test and I'll tell you the result.
;)

Helghast

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the auto airplane mode recommendation. It is so much better than manually turning the wifi on an off all of the time.

the_EDJ

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm really loving my Tablet S so far. I put up with Honeycomb for a few weeks and then got the ICS update a bit sooner than others were reporting.

The only thing I know I'm missing is the custom app drawer where you could modify and group things together with unique labels. I need to try the Chrome browser, but the biggest app I've used is buying Swiftkey's tablet keyboard. Typing medium to long emails is soooo much better.

As far as battery life, I'm not a super heavy user, and I've only ran the battery down to critical once over a long weekend of traveling. And reading books is just great. Still not better than a real book. But I'm adjusting very quickly. Hopefully you guys find what drains the battery for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty