Why does the Pixel 7 battery life seem worse?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So I put every app I could see usage for (WhatsApp) in 'Restricted' vs 'Optimized' mode and it hasn't made any difference, I am still getting 1-1.5% drain during idle with screen off and nothing running. Its also been a few days since I've been using the phone.

Funnily enough the 2 things I read the most complaints about - fp unlock and face unlock, have worked almost 100%. And the speaker sounds good.

Still rather undecided about this phone. I still cannot get over the battery life being not any better than a 2+ year used phone.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
it seems to be an issue faced by many others, all talking about exact same high idle usage which was never a problem in previous (non Tensor most likely) phones.

this makes me feel much better as I thought I might have a faulty phone or that I was doing something wrong or just needed to wait more.

Reactions: mustang7757

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I remember this used to be an issue back in the early days of Android.

There used to be lots of discussion about Android system usage, wakelocks, disabling network/location when sleeping using Tasker etc.

I don't remember ever facing these issues since I got my Pixel. I think there is definitely something in Android that is still there and causes battery drain.
I didn't see this on the P6P (coming from a OP device that was a non-issue in this area), which is "interesting".
Yeah, tracking wakelocks requires root, and it's kind of a PITA, for something like this, IME/IMHO. I'm pretty sure you can only view enabled-apps/services, via adb?
If I get desperate, perhaps I'll go this route.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I see what you're saying about it potentially being a carrier update -- especially if you don't have any active apps running that are notorious battery hogs *and* you have adequate signal. Keep us posted on what happens!
This is an interesting example, from a few nights ago, where I took a shot first-thing, so it's all "overnight drain":
Weird, eh? I was definitely seeing this after the Oct/Nov updates, but it completely disappeared, after the January update, and now it's back...

Screenshot_20230411-105240.pngScreenshot_20230411-105225.png

Reactions: Morty2264

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My Battery life seems great, especially stand by. Went from a Galaxy s21 to P7Pro on Verizon. I rarely get home(8-9hours) below 50% and on a long days seen maybe 37-40% I even noticed a few times checking my phone hours into my day where I hadn't used it at all and it was at 98%.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
My Battery life seems great, especially stand by. Went from a Galaxy s21 to P7Pro on Verizon. I rarely get home(8-9hours) below 50% and on a long days seen maybe 37-40% I even noticed a few times checking my phone hours into my day where I hadn't used it at all and it was at 98%.
Yep, I saw the same, after the Nov update, until the Jan update.
After that, it went away, for two months, until the March update.

If it wasn't so dead consistent, I'd chalk it up to odd apps or something, but I see this most nights, 10, 15, 20% drain, overnight, ZERO app usage (at least according to the tracking algorithm), and 50,, 60+ percent Mobile Radio drain (of that 10-20%). In between those updates, this was a non-issue, same set of apps, although obviously not the same versions, or at least not likely.

I tried using WiFi only (airplane mode with WiFi re-enabled) one night, and saw almost the same drain overnight, which leads me to believe that it's more about what's considered "Mobile Radio" by the algorithmic categorization, and less about the actual radio use (since my carrier, TMo, fully supports WiFi calling/texting, it's using that data-stream for carrier data, even though the cell radio is disabled).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow! That's pretty good standby time! Mine isn't bad on my Pixel 7. A noticeable difference from my Pixel 5.

Jx J

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I've been recently having the same issue with battery drain. Not much running at all overnight.....from 11PM to 4AM a 15% drain.
I'm also getting wierd behaviour overnight with my Pixel 7, when I'm sleeping and the phone isn't supposed to be doing anything.
Some nights, it loses about 3%, dropping from 80% to 77%.
Other nights, it drops all the way from 80% to 50%, so down 30% between midnight and 8:00 am.

I checked this in the battery menu and it has "Phone Idle" as the main culprit. Not very helpful.
The battery settings for that are set to "Optimized".

In normal use, the battery life is quite reasonable. I just wish it was more predictable.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm also getting wierd behaviour overnight with my Pixel 7, when I'm sleeping and the phone isn't supposed to be doing anything.
Some nights, it loses about 3%, dropping from 80% to 77%.
Other nights, it drops all the way from 80% to 50%, so down 30% between midnight and 8:00 am.

I checked this in the battery menu and it has "Phone Idle" as the main culprit. Not very helpful.
The battery settings for that are set to "Optimized".

In normal use, the battery life is quite reasonable. I just wish it was more predictable.
Wow! What a big difference! Keep us posted on what happens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12