How Does Apple Maintain Its Stranglehold On The Best Cellphone Cameras?

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
My current phone is a Galaxy s3.
My question is... Will the Droid Turbo's photos look as good or better than the ones I've been taking with my s3?
If the answer is yes, then i will be happy as my pics have always been just fine.

If i want better photos, i will pull out my Canon S100 pocket camera or get out my Canon 70D and assorted L lenses.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My question is... Will the Droid Turbo's photos look as good or better than the ones I've been taking with my s3?
If the answer is yes, then i will be happy as my pics have always been just fine.

If i want better photos, i will pull out my Canon S100 pocket camera or get out my Canon 70D and assorted L lenses.

Better. The turbo is mediocre in 2014 for camera phones. I think its better than most 1 or 2 year old phones.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

My wife's best friend has the S3 and based on my early results with Turbo I would say a resounding yes. Even more so once we get Lollipop and Camera 2.0

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Jester2138

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Best phone cameras IMO are hands-down the high-end Lumias,. I'm a professional photographer and what convinced me of this was the ability to shoot genuine DNG files. I threw some images from my short-lived Lumia Icon into Lightroom and could get a surprising amount from it. Easily blew away the iPhones and Galaxy phones I've had. I have a Turbo now but honestly don't really care what its camera does - that's what my camera cameras are for ;)

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Best phone cameras IMO are hands-down the high-end Lumias,. I'm a professional photographer and what convinced me of this was the ability to shoot genuine DNG files. I threw some images from my short-lived Lumia Icon into Lightroom and could get a surprising amount from it. Easily blew away the iPhones and Galaxy phones I've had. I have a Turbo now but honestly don't really care what its camera does - that's what my camera cameras are for ;)
I agree, I want to get the DROID turbo but I can't get myself to part with the camera on my Lumina icon.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Camera phones will never be on par with "real cameras"

The camera on phones has improved, to the point that everyone is a critic.. And yes its not the megapixels, its also the software..

Droid turbo is working fine for me, but i never forget its a phone camera, not a quality camera

Posted via the Android Central App

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
By software, do we mean the Moto camera app in the play store? So Moto can pretty much update their app which would translate to us taking better pictures? And if it is the software in the app, would another app such as Camera Fx take better pictures?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
By software, do we mean the Moto camera app in the play store? So Moto can pretty much update their app which would translate to us taking better pictures? And if it is the software in the app, would another app such as Camera Fx take better pictures?

Yes, and this is already in the works with Android 5.0. This great phone will only get better after the upgrade!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

According to a thread on Motorola's official forum, yes. There is a long time poster there who happens to be a photographer hobbyist. I asked him point blank if the Turbo was as good as the GS5 and he said "it is a near tie". He ranked the cell phone camera's he's used/owned thusly:

Lumina, grade A
Apple, grade A
Samsung GS5, B/B+
Droid Turbo, B
Moto X, B-
All other Moto's, C/C-

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
According to a thread on Motorola's official forum, yes. There is a long time poster there who happens to be a photographer hobbyist. I asked him point blank if the Turbo was as good as the GS5 and he said "it is a near tie". He ranked the cell phone camera's he's used/owned thusly:

Lumina, grade A
Apple, grade A
Samsung GS5, B/B+
Droid Turbo, B
Moto X, B-
All other Moto's, C/C-
Turbo needs to be in the "A" rating

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
"When it comes to image quality, we have very nice shots in almost all conditions with the Droid Turbo. Outdoor shots come rich in detail, with a nicely balanced dynamic range, and well toned colors. The iPhone 6 in comparison falls a bit short when it comes to detail, but features similarly good images outdoors. In lower light, indoor or in night shots, noise creeps in the Droid Turbo shots. Even if you scale them down to 8-megapixels, there is still plenty of noise, while the iPhone delivers clearer shots. The amount of usable detail is on par though."

Motorola DROID Turbo vs Apple iPhone 6 - Camera and Multimedia