Are the latest phones any better than Droid Turbo?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Despite running an outdated OS, Turbo still is one of the best phones out there. Let's compare shall we?

Droid Turbo vs Galaxy S6
Advantages S6: Better Camera, better design although very fragile, fingerprint scanner, multitasking features.
Advantages Turbo: better battery life, more durable design, better software experience (even while running KitKat), front facing speaker.

Droid Turbo vs LGG4
Advantages G4: better camera, multitasking features, expandable memory.
Advantages Turbo: better battery life, more durable design, BETTER design (subjective), better software experience (even on KitKat), front facing speaker, wireless charging.

Droid turbo vs iPhone 6
Advantages iPhone: sleeker design, better feel in the hand, relatively more stable OS, better camera.
Advantages Turbo: better screen, better battery life, more durable design, front facing speaker, equally good software experience, unlimited customization and personalization options (android), quick charging, wireless charging.

Droid Turbo vs HTC one M9
Advantages M9: premium feel in the hand, front facing stereo speakers, really customizable software experience, generally blazing fast performance.
Advantages Turbo: better screen, better camera (surprise), more durable design, better battery life, wireless charging, stock software experience.

So basically.
None of the phones is better than the Droid turbo. They all have their weaknesses and strengths. Droid Turbo lacks an amazing camera suite in my opinion. It has the rest, all the things you need. Except Lollipop. Which I've lost hope for. I don't think they'll ever let us have it.

The Note 4 comes close to outshine this phone. And maybe it does. But it's a phablet and is not for everybody.

OF COURSE, THIS IS ALL SUBJECTIVE. MY OBSERVATIONS ONLY.

What do you guys think?

And Droid Turbo owners, get lollipop out of your head and think for a second... We really do own an amazing phone. Don't we?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am a Note 4 user, so thanks for the mention at the end. LOL. I think you may have the 'current best', in that size category.

I know two other people who own the Droid Turbo and they LOVE it! One of them used to be a Note 3 user and says he loves the Turbo even more than the N3! The other user I know is a total IT guy and changes phones quite often, but he has had the Turbo now longer than I have seen him keep any other phone! He too likes the size as he did try the N4 and said it was awsome, but too big.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Anything considered aesthetic and "better than" by virtue of physical characteristics only is subjective.

Yes, to respond to your tagline, the Turbo is among the elite. Everything works in unison very well. The 3900 mAh battery cannot be touched by any other phone, and the SoC 805 is in fact better than the SoC 810 piece of junk that can't run a circle.

Speculation asserts that the Turbo is close to receiving 5.1. I emphasize "speculation" because the same BS was touted in March. I'm already seeing articles surface making reference to a not-so-distant Android M on the way. Why it's taking engineers months to make the Turbo compatible with 5.1, given it's ONE phone for ONE carrier is just a mess. Engineers, dozens of engineers for both Motorola and Verizon may want to burn their college degrees for this embarrassing oops.

To conclude, I'm not thrilled that I'm still on 4.4, however I'll take a flawless obsolete platform over a riddled with bugs new platform. My subjective opinion is that it is ergonomically superior to other devices. I like the ballistic nylon. I also think the camera isn't credited highly enough, and who here can genuinely complain about the superior reception offered in Motorola devices? No phone has achieved perfection. No car, no boat, no shoes, no house, and certainly no human are perfect. But, superior? Yes, that's an achievable benchmark that can indeed be objective and in my opinion, the wireless market does not offer a more robust phone than the Turbo.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
^Yes man I did mention that this is all subjective.

And you're right. I feel the same way about the upgrade. AND the camera. It isn't given enough credit.

I agree with the rest as well.

And yes droid turbo is a Verizon exclusive. It's called the Moto Maxx in Euprope and Moto Turbo in India. Those two versions are running lollipop.

And I agree with the Note4 guy as well! And with his friend who switched from the Note4. I change phones quite a lot as well and Droid Turbo has kept me happy the longest. And it still is.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
And I think it wouldn't be fair if I don't mention the bad stuff I've observed about the turbo.

Lollipop. Of course, isn't present. Yet. (Doesn't really matter to me although KitKat for me has been pretty buggy)

Camera isn't the best. (Does matter to me but I can still manage to get some pretty nice shots. Just have to work a little harder than other phone cameras)

Nitpicking: Screen gets a purple tint when brightness reduced to all the way down. Speakers could've been better. Loud musical sounds get muffled quite easily. Capacitive buttons look a little bit outdated. Front facing camera starts stuttering in low light.

All I can think of.

Angry_Mushroom

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Seems like OP answered his own question. No... He finds the Turbo superior. I'd have given it a look, but for some odd reason, the only Motorola I can get on TMO is the still quite lovely Nexus 6.

I'd say it remains a strong contender against more modern devices simply for the fact that neither Exynos nor the Snapdragon have delivered on the excellence that was hyped for 64 bit. 805 remains a beast, and the Motorola's former owner should have led to a cleaner UI.

Is there a reason to upgrade from the turbo? No.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
^Yes man I did mention that this is all subjective.

And you're right. I feel the same way about the upgrade. AND the camera. It isn't given enough credit.

I agree with the rest as well.

And yes droid turbo is a Verizon exclusive. It's called the Moto Maxx in Euprope and Moto Turbo in India. Those two versions are running lollipop.

And I agree with the Note4 guy Gal as well! And with his Her friend who switched from the Note4. I change phones quite a lot as well and Droid Turbo has kept me happy the longest. And it still is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo