Nexus 6P vs iPhone 6s

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: From an iPhone?

What keeps me on Android is Tasker, widgets, and a browsible file system I can manage.

If not for these, I'd be on iOS as it has superior performance in almost every area, without the clunky java dependences. And of course the ecosystem is far more advanced.

With that said, the n6P is a good performer, with a passable camera, and it doesn't feel clunky at all (and I really like project Fi).

Being on the cutting edge of Android means there will always be bugs, but I find the current ones pretty benign, the most frustrating of which is the screen off voice command issues.

All depends on what is important to you. If you like to customize and automate, Android is worth the tradeoffs, and there are reasonably few with this phone.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

Agree with above. If IoS was more "open", even allowing downloads of more or less anything and file manager etc then I'd go IPhone.

But I love Android so that's that

Posted via the Android Central App

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I bought an iPhone 6plus a few months ago. It is a really nice phone but iTunes had me about to throw the phone against a wall. I can't imagine anyone giving up almost total control of their phone, especially when itunes is such a total and complete nightmare. I only lasted a week with it.

The two killer issues for me were iTunes and the notification system. Whomever designed those for apple should drawn and quartered or at least horse whipped a few times.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

What keeps me on Android is Tasker, widgets, and a browsible file system I can manage.

If not for these, I'd be on iOS as it has superior performance in almost every area, without the clunky java dependences. And of course the ecosystem is far more advanced.

With that said, the n6P is a good performer, with a passable camera, and it doesn't feel clunky at all (and I really like project Fi).

Being on the cutting edge of Android means there will always be bugs, but I find the current ones pretty benign, the most frustrating of which is the screen off voice command issues.

All depends on what is important to you. If you like to customize and automate, Android is worth the tradeoffs, and there are reasonably few with this phone.

I agree with everything you said. The biggest thing that is bugging me is actually Android Auto, I use it a lot and Apples Carplay is so much nicer. You don't have the touch limitations, Siri can actually open apps (if you stick with the stock apps). Android Auto does have the better layout with jumping from app to app. I'm just really torn between the two right now.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone 6s Plus is faster and smoother in pretty much every single way. I have both the 6s Plus and the 6P. Camera is clearer on 6s Plus as well.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

I have to chime in if I may. It seems that a few years ago when the iphone came out and then Android responded that both systems were far from perfect. In fact, along with many people, I had a Blackberry when both of those OS came out. I was very happy with BB since my main use other than the phone (and the phone is still my main use), was getting emails. It was very efficient (for its time). Android was smart because they decided to price its phones lower than the iPhones. Fact was they weren't quite up to Apple's standards then. That said, it was close. I was one of those that didn't want to spend extra for something that was pretty close, and thus got my first Android smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy I. While that was far from a perfect phone, I was hooked on getting a flagship, or near flagship smartphone. After another Samsung, I then tried HTC, tried LG, and now I got my first Nexus.

Fast forward to today. In many ways Android has surpassed Apple's system in some areas. However, that's not to say that the iphone is a bad phone. It's a very good phone. IMHO, it's just that for the past two years or so, they run neck and neck. Even Blackberry and Windows phone have a few (not many) advantages over both of the mainstays. I see many iphone users complain and others that also say they won't use anything else. However, I see the same number of people say the same thing about their Android phone. My not-so-tech savvy father has used Androids since they came out and always complained. This past year, he got an iPhone 6S+. He loves it, and said he won't go back. Interestingly, he now says that he misses certain things and he also has a complaint here and there since having it for a few months now. My wife got a V10, I got a 6p. We all did this a few months ago, and each one of us notice things we love, things we miss, and things we wish our phones had.

So to come all the way back around to the OP, my experience with the iPhone is more recent mostly, and I'm not here to say I can give you a fair comparison. Here's what I can say. Any flagship Android, and particularly the Nexus line, is going to offer similar performance to the iphone. It's a matter of taste, preferences, and finally to me anyway, one of the most important points, which is price. And let me blunt by cutting through some BS. Android has the majority of the world market because of price. If the phones are equal (and I believe they are), and each has its pros and cons (and they both do), then why should I spend $850 on an iphone for a phone that I can get for $500. Realistically, if you knew absolutely nothing about either OS and you were living under a rock for 10 years and you were offered the choice between the two, wouldn't you pick the $500 phone. There are many reasons people go with iphones: they're used to that ecosystem, they think it's miles better due to marketing forces, their friends have one (although that's a sore excuse if you ask me), and some like to show off the fact they have the most expensive phone. My point is, if price is no object then either phone you can't go wrong. To be clear, it's not to take away from the iphone as it is an amazing phone. it's just that the 6p and even several other Android devices are amazing too. Good luck in your choice.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

I agree with everything you said. The biggest thing that is bugging me is actually Android Auto, I use it a lot and Apples Carplay is so much nicer. You don't have the touch limitations, Siri can actually open apps (if you stick with the stock apps). Android Auto does have the better layout with jumping from app to app. I'm just really torn between the two right now.

Interesting... I actually prefer AA. I rarely run into the touch limitation, but I usually listen to podcasts. If I do listen to music I use the head unit's built in music player from an SD card. I can imagine using play music would often times be frustrating.

With that said, I'd really like to see Waze, Glympse, and Torque come to AA, but am not holding my breath. AA has been very slow to mature (much like Wear).

Good luck with your decision. Hard to be unhappy with either device, but I'm always a little frustrated by iOS's opacity.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. The touch limitation frustration comes a lot if you have a passenger with you. If they want to look through the music, after six touch of the screen it lock up, they want you to use voice, which is understandable but its not always the best way.

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 6s Plus is faster and smoother in pretty much every single way. I have both the 6s Plus and the 6P. Camera is clearer on 6s Plus as well.

I respectfully disagree. We have 2 iPhone 6s in the house and a Nexus 6P. We've sat next to each other and ran the same apps and browsed websites. The phones respond to everyday tasks pretty equally. If I had to give an edge to either it would PROBABLY be the 6P. But nothing that you would notice speedwise unless you did what we did - sit and watch the screens side by side. As for the camera, in good lighting I'd give the edge to the 6P, but in low lighting I'd give the edge to the 6S. But I certainly am not one to give advice on camera quality. Just an opinion. My 2 cents Canadian, which ain't worth much these days.

GC

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

I came from 6S.

I love android but wanted to go back to iOS because I'm a Mac user, I want to watch my iTunes purchases.

TBH the only reason why I bought the 6P was because my Text Messages on my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD is DISABLED, I read that Apple doesn't allow it?!?

It's never about the Performance, Specs because honestly I can't tell the difference nor I guess care. I love the CUSTOMIZATION but it's not the end of the world if I can't on iOS.

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

I came from 6S.

I love android but wanted to go back to iOS because I'm a Mac user, I want to watch my iTunes purchases.

TBH the only reason why I bought the 6P was because my Text Messages on my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD is DISABLED, I read that Apple doesn't allow it?!?

It's never about the Performance, Specs because honestly I can't tell the difference nor I guess care. I love the CUSTOMIZATION but it's not the end of the world if I can't on iOS.

Car infotainment systems will usually read incoming messages aloud from connected iOS devices if you have Show Notifications enabled in Settings > Bluetooth > [your Bluetooth device]. The limitation is that it won't display the message as text through your car.