Google case and magnetic mounts

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a magnetic mount in my car that i love, used it with my LG G2 until i got my pixel 2 XL. So now i want to be able to use my pixel 2 XL on the mount. But i don't want the little metal disk that's needed to attach it stuck on my nice new custom case that i plan to order or on my bare phone (and have to remove the case every time i mount it). So i was hoping to be able to embed the disk in the case somehow. So my questions are (a) in the $50 case with 2 layers, can the layers be pulled apart such that i could put the disk in between the layers? And (b) if no to (a), does it seem possible to dig out a circular area of the inner layer to insert the disk, or is the inner layer kind of fused to the outer layer?

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what $50 case you're referring to, but I have a 2-layer case & I was able to put the metal plate between the TPU layer and the harder outer layer. I would think you could do this with most similar cases?

FYI I have Pixel 2, not the XL.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The Google cases appear not to be too thick. You shouldn't have any problem putting the metal plate between the phone and the case. I have a Koomus magnetic mount that I use with my Pixel 2 XL in a moderately thick Caseology Parallax Case with no problem - and it's even held up my 2013 Nexus 7 in a case with no issue as well.

If you find the disc you have is too thick to go in unobtrusively (again, shouldn't be a problem), you can pick up a Nektek mount ($7 on Amazon) that includes both rectangular and circular plates that are only about 0.3mm thick, though if your magnet is consipicuously weak it may not hold the weight as well.

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Google cases appear not to be too thick. You shouldn't have any problem putting the metal plate between the phone and the case. I have a Koomus magnetic mount that I use with my Pixel 2 XL in a moderately thick Caseology Parallax Case with no problem - and it's even held up my 2013 Nexus 7 in a case with no issue as well.

If you find the disc you have is too thick to go in unobtrusively (again, shouldn't be a problem), you can pick up a Nektek mount ($7 on Amazon) that includes both rectangular and circular plates that are only about 0.3mm thick, though if your magnet is consipicuously weak it may not hold the weight as well.

I do not want to put the metal plate between the phone and case, because I don't want a bulge and I don't want to scratch up the phone. Hence me asking about putting it between layers or digging out part of the inner layer (which I would then insert the plate and put some sort of protective cover over it to prevent it from scratching the phone). I figure if the layers can come apart, the I can do some similar modifications to the case if the "bulge" is still too much. I'm most concerned about scratching the phone and direct pressure on the device, less so about appearance of a slight bulge. If all else fails, I'll look into that case you recommended. Thanks.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I do not want to put the metal plate between the phone and case, because I don't want a bulge and I don't want to scratch up the phone. Hence me asking about putting it between layers or digging out part of the inner layer (which I would then insert the plate and put some sort of protective cover over it to prevent it from scratching the phone). I figure if the layers can come apart, the I can do some similar modifications to the case if the "bulge" is still too much. I'm most concerned about scratching the phone and direct pressure on the device, less so about appearance of a slight bulge. If all else fails, I'll look into that case you recommended. Thanks.

FWIW, from, my experience...

The metal plates typically come with a paper tape over the adhesive side - I never took that off, seeing no need to permanently affix it, and never had the slightest hint of any marking against my Pixel XL in the past, or on my Pixel 2 XL now.

As to thickness, the thinner one that came with the Nektek only presents the slightest of visible bulges in the back of a Peel case (which at 0.3mm thick is by far the thinnest I've seen) - can't imagine you'd notice it in any other case. Actually, I was ballparking the thickness of the Nektek plate. Comparing it to the 0.3mm, it's actually even thinner.

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, from, my experience...

The metal plates typically come with a paper tape over the adhesive side - I never took that off, seeing no need to permanently affix it, and never had the slightest hint of any marking against my Pixel XL in the past, or on my Pixel 2 XL now.

As to thickness, the thinner one that came with the Nektek only presents the slightest of visible bulges in the back of a Peel case (which at 0.3mm thick is by far the thinnest I've seen) - can't imagine you'd notice it in any other case. Actually, I was ballparking the thickness of the Nektek plate. Comparing it to the 0.3mm, it's actually even thinner.
Perhaps i should just experiment with some light gage sheet steel. Maybe i can just make my own that will fit better.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Edit: Nm, I reread your post. My answers don't really apply

Kind of expensive, and they are currently sold out, but I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/magcase-for-google-pixel-2?variant=4542502469660

Another option would be a Spigen thin fit that has a built in place for the metal plate.

Spigen Thin Fit Google Pixel 2 XL Case with SF Coated Non Slip Matte Surface for Excellent Grip for Google Pixel 2 XL (2017) - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07475C1V...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6109557

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Nm, I reread your post. My answers don't really apply

Kind of expensive, and they are currently sold out, but I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/magcase-for-google-pixel-2?variant=4542502469660

Another option would be a Spigen thin fit that has a built in place for the metal plate.

Spigen Thin Fit Google Pixel 2 XL Case with SF Coated Non Slip Matte Surface for Excellent Grip for Google Pixel 2 XL (2017) - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07475C1V...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6109646
Well I've already placed an order for a custom Google live case, so i think I'm going to have to make that work somehow ha ha

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm referring to the Google Live Case with Dual Layer protection:

https://livecase.withgoogle.com/photos/style

Is this what you have?
No, sorry I have a different case. It's definitely difficult finding not only the right case, but also one that easily fits that plate on the inside. I just got a new TPU case for my Pixel 2 & it's perfect except - when I put the plate inside the case, it no longer fits properly.