Why Is It So Hard To Get a Good Screen Protector?!

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Those who choose not to have one - I hear you and respect you, but, there are many who want one.

Damn... through Treos, Blackberrys, and a myriad of Android phones, there have been a plethora of screen protectors that are really good.

I'm "anal" about my screen looking pretty much as it does naked. It's not been that hard.

I've spent $45, I've spent $7 for this phone. I've either got a wet applied that doesn't have imperfections, or edge adhesive ones that have a rainbow effect in the center. Is a curved screen really worth that much? is it a feature that folks really care about?

What are folks using that they love? And, if not, can phone manufacturers move back to flat screens?

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the ZAGG one right now... I experience the rainbow effect time to time [some how], but aside from that I like the look and durability of the protector. The warranty policy is okay. It's lifetime guaranteed...but, you have to pay for shipping (which at cheapest is $9.99--which I could get a two pack off of Amazon for that much). Still...the ZAGG is good quality.

I really want 3M to make and release a privacy screen for the Pixel 2 series, though.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector until my 2 XL. I've never had a scratch on any of my phone's screens. But I would kick myself if I scratched the screen on my new phone.

I got an IQ Shield Liquid Skin. It's pretty good. You can't see it on the phone. No rainbow effect, no bubbles, no gaps. If the screen is off (is dark) and you tilt the phone this way and that under a bright light, you can see a very, very slight orange peel.

There is no detectable decrease in screen touch sensitivity.

What I don't like about it is the feel. It's not as smooth as glass. Your fingertip does not drag on the screen but there is a barely perceptible amount of resistance. Just a teensy-weensy amount. I glide-type rather than tap type, so I notice the miniscule amount of resistance as my finger moves over the keyboard. There is also a slightly soft feel to the screen, especially when you tap the screen.

I really wish I didn't have to use a screen protector but, again, I'd hate myself if I scratched this screen.

Andy Wijaya

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I also really need to find it. :( I have tried at least 5 different brands so far, none of them are good. :( All of them don't attach well at the curved part of the screen, one tempered glass that I bought has a Halo effect even thought it is only covering the flat part of the screen! Very disappointing. I am in Germany anyway, and I do not have that many options as you people do in the North America.

briareos4

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
I've been using a Skinomi (wet-install) protector for the past 2 weeks.

Amazon Link - http://a.co/9f5VnqE

Because of the curves, I think a wet-install is the only way to go. I've swapped through a few cases, and have no issues with the sides or corners coming up.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Why is it a letdown? It looks awesome.

Because the screen protector doesn't curve with the screen. And since it's not curved, people aren't happy with the price they are charging. That's why people are not happy with it even though Whitestone has curved full adhesive screen protectors for Samsung phones.

For an actual full adhesive tempered glass, this is the best that is out there. There's also no dot matrix. Only thing is no curved glass even if it's slightly curved like the other dot matrix tempered glass.

SGFresh just released their own LOCA full adhesive screen protector with a slight curve but the installation looks iffy. There's no kit and you have to make sure it's aligned properly.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been through 4 types of glass screen protectors. All of sucked.

I ordered the glass screen protector directly from the Google store. Spent $40 on it and not thrilled. But if it works like the reviews on YouTube say it does then I'm happy I found one that fits properly.

Andy Wijaya

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been through 4 types of glass screen protectors. All of sucked.

I ordered the glass screen protector directly from the Google store. Spent $40 on it and not thrilled. But if it works like the reviews on YouTube say it does then I'm happy I found one that fits properly.

How does the screen protector from Google look like? Can you give us a picture of it? I am considering it, even though it costs an arm and a leg.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Here is unboxing and installation video of the Whitestone for the Pixel 2 XL

https://youtu.be/NB0ssnD08PU

I've been uncertain about the Whitestone Dome Glass screen protector due to some of the comments I've read about the installation being tricky. However, this video makes it seem pretty straight forward as long as you are careful to follow the instructions. And, as far as I can tell, this appears to be the best fitting tempered glass screen protector currently being made for the Pixel 2 XL. Unfortunately, Amazon shows it as unavailable and seems uncertain when or if it will be back in stock.

I realize this Whitestone screen protector doesn't cover the screen's curve. However, as other tempered glass flat screen protectors appear to be either too big, too small, or just fit poorly, and the dot matrix types with adhesive only around the edges seem prone to falling off, I can't seem to find a better option.

There are some well-reviewed wet application screen protectors that do a good job of preventing scratches; however, what I really want is something to help guard against breakage of the screen in the event of a fall.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Are there any Pixel 2 (regular) glass screen protectors that are good? I can't believe how sparse the options are.

Ideally it can be easily obtained in the UK.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz