Adding a language to the keyboard

oddstray

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Is it possible to add a language to a Pixel C keyboard? I mean the hardware keyboard - not the virtual one (I know how to do that).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you asking if it's possible to change the layout to something besides English (US) (among the dozen or so preinstalled layouts), or if it's possible to download a new layout that isn't already preinstalled? I can't find an option to do the latter.

oddstray

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Are you asking if it's possible to change the layout to something besides English (US) (among the dozen or so preinstalled layouts), or if it's possible to download a new layout that isn't already preinstalled? I can't find an option to do the latter.

Yeah, thanks. I was hoping for a new layout that isn't already preinstalled. I'm trying to learn Esperanto with Duolingo, and I added a virtual Esperanto keyboard. But the virtual keyboard hogs half of the screen real estate so isn't really a viable option.

oddstray

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Is it possible to add a language to a Pixel C keyboard? I mean the hardware keyboard - not the virtual one (I know how to do that).

As it happens, by experimenting I learned that that "hat"-g can be typed on the hardware keyboard by typing an up-carat immediately followed by the 'g'. Similar for the other "hat" consonants in Esperanto - which is the language I wanted to add. I still haven't figured out how to do the 'u' with the tilde over the 'u' for Esperanto.