[How-To] Flash a leaked RUU

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Since I'm sure plenty of people aren't taking the "missed" OTA news well and are turning to the leaked RUU's ... I wanted to give a quick how to and some of the things to expect, kind of a mini FAQ I guess...Here goes.

Foreword: Backup and data you don't want to lose. If you are unlocked, you will need to lock your phone before running this. You must also use an unencrypted SD Card

Disclaimer: If you follow these steps you are flashing unsupported code on your phone. Understand that the expectations are you understand what you're doing. There are only a few paths back from this and they're all harder than what you're about to read.

Step 1) Download the leaked RUU. There are several outlets for this but start at the top I guess
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/RUU/Vigor/RUU_Vigor_3.14.605.10_PH98IMG.zip
*Updated Link to 6/12/12 leak.

****If you want to do this all from your PC, skip to step Z

Step 2) Transfer to your phone's SD card
If you downloaded it on your phone, use a file manager to move it to /sdcard2/
If you downloaded it on a PC, connect to your phone and drop is on the external SD(/sdcard/ext_sd)

Step 3) Rename to PH98IMG.zip
This can be done during step 2 but it's important enough to know that this HAS TO BE DONE
Using a file manager, rename your recently downloaded zip file "PH98IMG.zip"

Step 4) Reboot into HBOOT
If you're rooted, you can use an app like quickboot
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off. Power down your phone. Power up holding Volume down and Power.
Your phone will start updating...
Wait about 15 minutes, if it hasn't rebooted do a battery pull.
Repeat Step 4
Usually the RUU needs to be flashed twice in order to work.

Step Z) Download my mini SDK

Step Y) Unzip the above into the same directory as your RUU

Step X) Reboot into the bootloader
If you're rooted, you can use an app like quickboot
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off. Power down your phone. Power up holding Volume down and Power.

Step W) Open a command prompt

Code:
 cd \temp   **this directory should be where you downloaded the RUU as well as the extracted mini sdk
fastboot flash zip PH98IMG.zip **replace PH98IMG.zip with your downloaded RUU

Step V) Flash a second time and reboot

Mini-FAQ:
Q: Will running this void my warranty?
A: No

Q: Will I be able to get the OTA if I do this?
A: Nobody knows yet. We don't have any real information on the OTA so it's hard to say. However assume the answer is no.

Q: Will I lose all my pictures?
A: See the note above that says BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE

Q: Will I lose my music?
A: See above

Q: Will I lose XYZ?
A: Really...see above.

Q: Ok, fine... How do I backup my data?
A: Titanium backup, Mybackup Pro, and a good few other applications can do this. Most require root to do a thorough job. Sorry, not much way around it.

Q: Can I go back to the Gingerbread stock ROM after this?
A: Not unless you unlock and use a ROM or S-Off.

Q: I've done the leak and get horrible XYZ.
A: That's not really a question but you should understand that this is not an official update and anything that comes as part of it is by and large unsupported.

Q: I've followed your guide to the letter but when I get into HBOOT nothing happens
A: If your SD Card is encrypted, use a non-encrypted card.

Last edited:

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Just a note that if you are unlocked the download instructions state you must be locked for this to work. When I RUU'd the 3.11.605.22 build I had to re-lock first. Have you used this new build? What are the improvements and are they worth going through the process again? I'm running Scott's CleanRom Pro Edition 4.2 and it seems to be running great for my use.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
very nice, one thing to note, is that while the internal SD card gets wiped, the removable SD card is not wiped. If your music and pictures are on your removable SD card, they are safe.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Just a note that if you are unlocked the download instructions state you must be locked for this to work. When I RUU'd the 3.11.605.22 build I had to re-lock first. Have you used this new build? What are the improvements and are they worth going through the process again? I'm running Scott's CleanRom Pro Edition 4.2 and it seems to be running great for my use.

I just added the lock part. Thanks, I can't believe I forgot that.

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
any back up tools that don't require root?
I'd like to back up using titanium, but then I'd have to unlock, root, then relock to use this RUU... right?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
true...
so what you're saying is; I should have unlocked and rooted day 1, before downloading and setting up all of my apps.? :)

No way. I will ask you this. What is so important that you need to save? Most productivity apps can be backed up individually. Movies, songs, pictures, and the like can simply be moved to the external SD card if they're not already there.

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
No way. I will ask you this. What is so important that you need to save? Most productivity apps can be backed up individually. Movies, songs, pictures, and the like can simply be moved to the external SD card if they're not already there.

I'm not worried about anything being lost... just the hassle of re-downloading all of the apps from the market is what I was trying to avoid...

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So you have to be unlocked to root...but for a RUU you have to be locked again? But you still have to be rooted? Yeah...that makes sense.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So you have to be unlocked to root...but for a RUU you have to be locked again? But you still have to be rooted? Yeah...that makes sense.

you don't need to be rooted to ruu

After installing RUU, to re-root do we just unlock & go to AMON RA recovery and install SU

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yup you can even use the same key you used to unlock the first time

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm a little rusty with HTC stuff...how do I turn off fastboot? Thanks in advance.

lonndoggie

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
So, just to be ridiculously over-specified and clear:

If you're unlocked, you only need to lock. It doesn't matter if you were rooted, or if you had installed a different ROM prior.

Things I'd been reading about the previous leaks indicated you needed to be stock/locked, OR unlocked with S-OFF. Or so I thought.

Anyway, in my case, specifically, I'm running the stock GB ROM, but unlocked and rooted (with various root-needing apps like SetCPU and TiBu installed). So, if I go and lock and then proceed, should be good, yes?

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So, just to be ridiculously over-specified and clear:

If you're unlocked, you only need to lock. It doesn't matter if you were rooted, or if you had installed a different ROM prior.

Things I'd been reading about the previous leaks indicated you needed to be stock/locked, OR unlocked with S-OFF. Or so I thought.

Anyway, in my case, specifically, I'm running the stock GB ROM, but unlocked and rooted (with various root-needing apps like SetCPU and TiBu installed). So, if I go and lock and then proceed, should be good, yes?

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Yes, just relock and run the RUU. That's all you need to do. If anyone has ever said otherwise, they were lying. For the OTA, the stock/relocked condition held but not for the RUU.