We might not get a Nexus 2012 phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Note: This is just a thought/blog post. This was written to encourage discussion. This is not based off any facts or reports, I'm not saying there certainly won't be a Nexus 2012 phone (I wouldn't mind if there is), but I'm just throwing my thoughts on the matter.

Based off previous Nexus releases, Google typically release a Nexus device on a new version of Android:

Nexus One: 2.1 Eclair (Eclair 2.0 had been around before the Nexus One, but not 2.1)
Nexus S: 2.3 Gingerbread
Galaxy Nexus: 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Nexus 7: 4.1 Jellybean

Now I'm wondering where Google will go from here. A couple of questions I have in regards to a new Nexus phone is:

1. Is there a likelihood that the next version of Android (Key Lime Pie) will be released before the end of 2012?
2. Would Google release a new Nexus device without a new version of Android software running on it?

In reference to point 1, I'm not so sure. Google had just released Jellybean, and while it was a superb release, I'm not so sure if Google would be dishing out another version of Android this year. ICS had been revealed in October 2011 with the release in November I believe. Jellybean was revealed late June this year at Google's I/O event. A new Nexus version would have had the least amount of time worked on it, which could mean possibly an even smaller update than Jellybean and a less impressive software update for the release of a new phone.

The second point is what I'm most interested in. Would Google go ahead and release a new Nexus device without a new version of Android accompanying it? Almost sounds like blasphemy, but it could be an option this year. Is Google's Nexus line now a strong enough brand (with the success of the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus before it) that it can stand as its own product and doesn't have to rely on the appeal of a new Android version that Nexus devices have had so far? Again, I'm not so sure.

And hypothetically if Google were to release a Nexus phone this year, without the next version of Android and just run on Jellybean, what type of phone would it be and how would they market it? Looking at the Nexus 7, I initially thought that it could be a good specced device for a relatively low price; great bang for your buck as the Nexus 7 is. However, the Galaxy Nexus still exists, also has Jellybean and would almost certainly be cheaper than the Nexus 2012 phone anyway. If people were after value for money Nexus phone, the Galaxy Nexus would possibly be the preferred phone and would make the Jellybean running Nexus 2012 phone almost obsolete.

So another option would be to make the phone an immensely high-end phone with the latest and greatest specs to compete head-to-head with the Galaxy S3, HTC One X and iPhone 5. I believe this would be an almost-acceptable alternative to not having a new version of Android, but would still leave it without

And who's to say Google even need to release a new phone? The Galaxy Nexus is still a very capable phone, runs Jelllybean exceptionally well even with it's now 'mediocre' specs. Google have also released a new Nexus device this year in the form of a 7" tablet. Do they really need to release a phone?

I honestly don't think a new Nexus phone is required for 2012. If one is released, I'm thinking it'll be a smaller software update than Jellybean was, or be a stand-alone phone which wouldn't have much appeal unless it was ridiculously high-specced. I feel the hardcore Android consumers have gotten their Nexus fix with the Nexus 7 and Jellybean. Let Google continue to work on Key Lime Pie and have a robust software update (possibly even big enough to be a 5.0 release rather than a 4.2), and maybe hold off the release of a new Nexus phone until 2013 some time (possibly Google I/O).

Feel free to tear my post apart and call me a moron. :)

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i'm 100% with you in saying that a new Nexus isn't required right now, but one will more than likely be released due to hardware getting better every 8-10 months.

i'm sure this will be the first one with a current version of android versus something new.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The way it seems from history would be similar to the I phone which would make sense every 2 years. That way renewals on contacts would be up and it would be with the next major upgrade of os

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
1. Is there a likelihood that the next version of Android (Key Lime Pie) will be released before the end of 2012?
Yes, because Eric Schmidt and Andy Rubin have indirectly answered this question already. They have been asked past when people will wondering when next nexus was coming out after Nexus One. Eric and Andy both stated they will come out with another nexus phone by the end of every year. Now they never said they would not come out with more than one nexus devices a year. Furthermore early last year Google thought about pushing out new major updates to android os every six month. Eric Schmidt himself decide that we be too much. Jelly Bean 4."1" witch is not a major update. Lastly the easter egg in 4.1 already hint with the candy cane something coming this Christmas. I believe a new nexus smartphone or nexi will be out Christmas time with new software.

2. Would Google release a new Nexus device without a new version of Android software running on it?
No, because would not be nexus device and go against the Nexus philosophy theynhave defined to us.
In reference to point 1, I'm not so sure. Google had just released Jellybean, and while it was a superb release, I'm not so sure if Google would be dishing out another version of Android this year. ICS had been revealed in October 2011 with the release in November I believe. Jellybean was revealed late June this year at Google's I/O event. A new Nexus version would have had the least amount of time worked on it, which could mean possibly an even smaller update than Jellybean and a less impressive software update for the release of a new phone.

4.1 add key features they did get to put in 4.0. They made it very clear at I/O they had unfinished businesses with ICS from it release. Remember their still rumored features from last year missing from 4.0 and 4.1. A couple examples are the docking capability between smaphone and tablet baked in os. The other rumor featured was to connect to a PC or a Mac and having a virtual interface of smartphone on the computer. This seem more developee tool so the devs would not have make code for android os on computer then transfer to the phone to see how code works. Instead all the changes and functionallity test can be done from the computer.

The second point is what I'm most interested in. Would Google go ahead and release a new Nexus device without a new version of Android accompanying it? Almost sounds like blasphemy, but it could be an option this year. Is Google's Nexus line now a strong enough brand (with the success of the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus before it) that it can stand as its own product and doesn't have to rely on the appeal of a new Android version that Nexus devices have had so far? Again, I'm not so sure.
Simply again would go against philosophy of product the created. You can't change the philosophy without changing the product. A Nexus with out latest software can't be called a Nexus.

And hypothetically if Google were to release a Nexus phone this year, without the next version of Android and just run on Jellybean, what type of phone would it be and how would they market it? Looking at the Nexus 7, I initially thought that it could be a good specced device for a relatively low price; great bang for your buck as the Nexus 7 is. However, the Galaxy Nexus still exists, also has Jellybean and would almost certainly be cheaper than the Nexus 2012 phone anyway. If people were after value for money Nexus phone, the Galaxy Nexus would possibly be the preferred phone and would make the Jellybean running Nexus 2012 phone almost obsolete.

I think you just answered your own hypothetical and I agree. The 2012 nexus would be obsolete based on software alone. Further Nexus devices as not about specs they answered hardware question about nexus already. A nexus device is device that has latest most "optimized" android experience. Optimized is key word hear and this where I mention this question already comes in. Eric Schmidt answered this question referrimg to the Galaxy Nexus running the TI OMAP instead of Samsung or Qualcomm snapdragon processor because the to omap worked they best with software. What you get with Nexus devices hardware is the best hardware that will work with there android software. Ultimately what saying is latest and greatest tech put into Nexus does not necessarily equal a better Nexus.

So another option would be to make the phone an immensely high-end phone with the latest and greatest specs to compete head-to-head with the Galaxy S3, HTC One X and iPhone 5. I believe this would be an almost-acceptable alternative to not having a new version of Android, but would still leave it without?

The nexus line has never been a battle against the iPhone nor has Google's Andy Rubin or Eric Shmick made that their goal for the Nexus line. Both have been asked and have been quoted on purpose of the Nexus Smartphones in particular. They both admire iphone and see it as competitor but Nexus to them is not the Android iPhone killer.

What the nexus is to Google is to deliver is most optimized android smartphone that serves as a blueprint for the android comunity to move forward. Google's partners may see the Nexus brand as tool to rival the iphone but Google see their Nexus line as a developer device for the consumer.
I think many have skewed idea of Nexus line being android iPhone killer or some super sayian phone and forget Google's is just trying to give you the best optimize android experience. They are not making a phone to say "look how great my specs are" or "look I have an iPhone killer".

And who's to say Google even need to release a new phone? The Galaxy Nexus is still a very capable phone, runs Jelllybean exceptionally well even with it's now 'mediocre' specs. Google have also released a new Nexus device this year in the form of a 7" tablet. Do they really need to release a phone?

Goes against the philosophy they have stated.

I honestly don't think a new Nexus phone is required for 2012. If one is released, I'm thinking it'll be a smaller software update than Jellybean was, or be a stand-alone phone which wouldn't have much appeal unless it was ridiculously high-specced. I feel the hardcore Android consumers have gotten their Nexus fix with the Nexus 7 and Jellybean. Let Google continue to work on Key Lime Pie and have a robust software update (possibly even big enough to be a 5.0 release rather than a 4.2), and maybe hold off the release of a new Nexus phone until 2013 some time (possibly Google I/O).

Feel free to tear my post apart and call me a moron. :)

Trust me Google knows what they are doing. One could say they have done more than enough but I pretty sure Google see it as they have only just begun. Google I/O present a lot a lot this year but there demeanor was more like we been working hard but we are want to do lot more before the year is done. Remember early this year Samsung was reported make the next nexus as well a report from Wall Street Journal that Google is working with multiple manufactures to release multiple nexus smaephones by ended of year. Google only confirmed a small part of those rumors at the I/O with there release of PDK "Platform Developer Kit". Also stating they already have hardware partners working with PDK already before Google I/O.

We have roughly 3 month to find out how Google is going to end this year so we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
This is a little less scientific than bunique's thoughts, but I can totally see key lime pie being released by the end of the year. Even though Jelly Bean is only a couple months old, that doesn't mean that Google has only been working on KLP for a couple months. Jelly Bean was probably almost done when ICS was released (as an "unfinished bussiness" add on) and KLP has probably been in the oven for almost a year now.

The only hurdle I see is we have high end devices who litterally just got the ICS update (VZW Razr) and now it will be 2 generations behind in the snap of a finger. For a high end device, really? Of course, Verizon is more to blame than Google on that one. Heck, they still haven't rolled out Jelly Bean for their NEXUS yet...

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a little less scientific than bunique's thoughts, but I can totally see key lime pie being released by the end of the year. Even though Jelly Bean is only a couple months old, that doesn't mean that Google has only been working on KLP for a couple months. Jelly Bean was probably almost done when ICS was released (as an "unfinished bussiness" add on) and KLP has probably been in the oven for almost a year now.

The only hurdle I see is we have high end devices who litterally just got the ICS update (VZW Razr) and now it will be 2 generations behind in the snap of a finger. For a high end device, really? Of course, Verizon is more to blame than Google on that one. Heck, they still haven't rolled out Jelly Bean for their NEXUS yet...

"less scientific"...lol. No, science was involve just catalog memory what Android have said at Google I/O's and collection of Blogs. I also followed the video interviews Andy Rubin and Eric Schmidt. I think we believe Google has small little hamster spinning the wheels to make android OS which is not true. Look at what all Google unveiled at this year I/O plus releasing there Fiber service. From this one can say Google has a large work force behind them.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
New nexus? Yes. Will it be a phone? Not sure.

Doesn't care about hardware specs? Have you seen the Nexus 7?

Googles philosophy around the Nexus line has changed. It's changed to being a gateway to the play store. You need beefy hardware to take advantage of all that content. Even if we don't see a new version of Android I think we'll see new hardware.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If Google decides that their greatest benefit would be a hardware monster, then they will update the "definition" of Nexus. Same for any other metric.
Definitions aren't static in business. Don't get wrapped up in what Nexus was, Google will let you know what Nexus "is".

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If Google decides that their greatest benefit would be a hardware monster, then they will update the "definition" of Nexus. Same for any other metric.
Definitions aren't static in business. Don't get wrapped up in what Nexus was, Google will let you know what Nexus "is".

True they are not "static" but they evolve on the philosophy they made. Google could come out with "hardware monster" but not as place holder for leaving out new android OS. IMHO

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same when rumors of Jelly bean begin in the beginning of this year. yet they released Nexus 7 with JB. I don't think Google is going to just not do anything when iphone 5 is coming.Nexus device be released soon enough.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've had a Google employee stop me in mid sentence (a feat in itself) to say "Why does a new Nexus have to be a phone?" on one of our after-podcast hangouts.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Google employee stop me in mid sentence (a feat in itself) to say "Why does a new Nexus have to be a phone?" on one of our after-podcast hangouts.

It's what we are use too and pushed to believe to be expected. Google never made it law they will come out with a nexus phone every year but they pushed the fact that they will.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's what we are use too and pushed to believe to be expected. Google never made it law they will come out with a nexus phone every year but they pushed the fact that they will.

So you said things can't change, and that's because Google led us to believe it (but never stated it outright as a fact), and then when we say Google can decide a Nexus can be whatever they say it is you disagree?

We'll get something new again this year.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this. What Nexus is or what it means could change quite drastically. Nexus could just mean a pure Google Android experience with timely updates. It doesn't have to guarantee a new product with a new version of software.

This is Google after all. If history shows, they're more than happy to change their philosophy on products at will.

I don't agree with bunique's stance on 'Google said this therefore it MUST be it, that's their philosophy, nothing will change'. Not sure if history should preclude the future in this case.

Was that before or after the Nexus 7 reveal?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So you said things can't change, and that's because Google led us to believe it (but never stated it outright as a fact), and then when we say Google can decide a Nexus can be whatever they say it is you disagree?

We'll get something new again this year.

They can evolve on that philosophy which is change. I just said they could not forget a part of their philosophy and call it the same. I already mention they never made it a law but I did say Eric Schmidt pushed the idea for nexus smartphone every year. What I disagree with is going back on a philosophy you started with for one that contradicts.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. What Nexus is or what it means could change quite drastically. Nexus could just mean a pure Google Android experience with timely updates. It doesn't have to guarantee a new product with a new version of software.

This is Google after all. If history shows, they're more than happy to change their philosophy on products at will.

I don't agree with bunique's stance on 'Google said this therefore it MUST be it, that's their philosophy, nothing will change'. Not sure if history should preclude the future in this case.

Was that before or after the Nexus 7 reveal?

What are the "significant" changes have they made to their philosophy? I know of minor changes to there philosophy but not change the principle I am arguing.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus line has already evolved from being a developer device to a consumer focused product. Who's to say I can't change more?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
"Evolving" an idea is one thing and to "change" an idea can be entirely two different things.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What are the "significant" changes have they made to their philosophy? I know of minor changes to there philosophy but not change the principle I am arguing.

Well I remember reading early Google phone products had indicated that there would always be a need for physical buttons to control the screen, that's obviously changed.

But look, you seem to be very argumentative and fixed in your thoughts and just try to shoot down anyone who thinks otherwise. If you just want to argue your point then I won't respond to you any more.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I remember reading early Google phone products had indicated that there would always be a need for physical buttons to control the screen, that's obviously changed.

Now, that is a change I see is minor change in philosophy which does not effect the core Nexus philosophy that I stated. Changes to the hardware don't change the philosophy of nexus but coming out with new nexus with old software does.

But look, you seem to be very argumentative and fixed in your thoughts and just try to shoot down anyone who thinks otherwise. If you just want to argue your point then I won't respond to you any more.
This is a topic of debate and I am just arguing my point. I am not shooting down people arguments. I am just responding with those who disagree with my point with a rebuttal. I quite open to those who disagree with my point and argrue theirs while I argue mine which gives you a debate. If trying defend my side of the debate while other debate theirs to mine is a mistake then I apologize.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez