What's the best Android phone for a long time Apple User?

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Users that have had years of iPhone experience should contribute, as I have.

I went from iPhone 4S to the gs3.

That's the switch that I made as well on Sunday. After about 4 days with this thing I'm glad to be back on Android. The total google integration is awesome for me seeing as how gmail is my primary account etc.

The main draw for me was battery life and I'd say that the S3 is comparable to my 4S. I want to be able to unplug when I get out of my vehicle at work and make it through the entire work day with my mod-heavy (depending on your perception) use. The Galaxy S3 is the only Android (I've used the Razr, Rezound and Nexus) that would give me that. I run mine stock and I need the stock phone to get me there. The GS3 does!!

greyopaque

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
+1 to what JobyWan said about Evo 4G LTE. I get all my tablets and phones for free from my company. I currently have Apple, Windows. and Android... (its part of my job to test the systems in the enterprise). My daily driver by choice is the Evo... Sprint is lacking in LTE at the moment, but I'm on WiFi 98% of the time anyway.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Since I see that you are sending this from a Nexus 7, I'll assume that you are enjoy the stock Jelly Bean Experience. If that's the case, then a Nexus device will probably be your best bet. I currently use the Galaxy Nexus, but that is coming up to being a year old since it was unveiled on October 19, 2011. While there hasn't been anything official, we can hope (if not assume) that Google will let another Nexus device soon.

If you can wait for that (and realize that it may or may not come this year), it might be the best bet. If not, the unlocked Galaxy Nexus is still a pretty good deal if you are interested in the stock experience.

NB

flyboy2

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Long time former iPhone user. I had the original, 3G and 4. I bought the Galaxy S3, rooted it and put a custom rom with JB on it. I love it and probably will never go back.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Currently the S3 seems to be hard to beat, if you need a phone right away.
Though if it were me I'd wait for the next nexus phone at this point, the S3 is great, but it won't have the easy and quick updates that the nexus phones gets.
Depends on your preferences, for me timely OS updates are more important than having the absolutely highest end hardware, at this point in hardware I think the software is starting to matter more than the hardware, as all high end Android phones are pretty good performers these days.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
anything with the name 'Nexus' in it. That way you'll get timely updates and everything else you'd expect.

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by piizzadude
"Just one feature alone make the grade for me. I can shoot a video, and snap 10 pictures at the same time. "

I can take video and stills at the same time on my Gnex....

I would say its a tough decision and I would be torn between pretty much any new samsung, moto, or htc phone. I would instantly lean towards any Nexus device though. If I got a non-nexus device I would immediately put a ROM on it bc I'm not a fan of any skins.

Too much opinion though. Cant really go wrong with most recent android phones. They all have their ups and downs.

dkositsky

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
The fact is that you must first think about your carrier, size of the screen and then capabilities of the phone. It seems to me that there is so many new phones just on the horizon that you may wish to wait to see what comes out next (in just a month there may be 5 or more top phones coming out) then you can shop and either pick up the next greatest thing or bargain hunt to pick up a great phone for pennies. When switching to the android world the good is you have so many choices and the bad is you have so many choices. The pace of change is so much greater in the android world that LTE is already on third and fourth generation devices now. Apple will be overwhelmed with so many innovations that the next iPhone will really have to be a game changer or suffer a considerable decline in popularity.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and get with the prepaid and grab a Grab a Galaxy Nexus or GS3. The GS3 is THE phone with an AMAZING set of features. Problem is that it will only have the crown for another few weeks I suppose. The beauty of Android is that a new MUCH better phone drops every 6 months or so. We get 2 phones for every 1 new iPhone. We had the Galaxy Nexus last November and then the GS3 in May.

The cool thing about prepaid is that you just sell your old phone on ebay and then just upgrade to the new one whenever you want, none of this new phone every 2 years. I don't understand how anyone has that type of patience now a days. The cycle was about every 2 years a few years back but the technology jumps are about once a year now.

You keep a new fresh phone and have a $60 a month or less bill and all is good.

Unfortunately for Apple, Google passed them when Ice Cream 4.0 hit and they know it. They are playing catch up and their current closed system just does not allow for the innovation that you get with Google. Samsung will probably be on flexible phones before apple gets NFC. Can you folks imagine if there was a legit 3rd player in the game? We would all be upgrading phones every 6 months!

Personally I don't have a drop of allegiance to any company or carrier. I want the best at the cheapest price, period.

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, try MOTO. New RAZRs are legit.

Had Sammy and HTC - Moto is blowing these away. It's a sleeper hit.

Otherwise, get a nexus and go pre-paid!

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm another 4S to GS3 convert. Made the switch last week. My biggest worry was my music, I built everything into iTunes on my macbook because that was how everything worked best. I'm right in the middle of using double twist air sync to transfer the library from iTunes to my GS3 and it's so smooth I can't believe it.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use Google radio for your music and keep itunes for the computer?

I'm another 4S to GS3 convert. Made the switch last week. My biggest worry was my music, I built everything into iTunes on my macbook because that was how everything worked best. I'm right in the middle of using double twist air sync to transfer the library from iTunes to my GS3 and it's so smooth I can't believe it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums