Samsung to unveil its first Tizen OS smartphone at MWC 2014

meashish

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The wait for Samsung to officially announce the first Tizen smartphone might be over soon. The Korean company, in cooperation with Intel (also a member of the Tizen alliance) have sent out invites for a press event in February. More specifically, it's going to take place a day before the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona officially kicks off.
gsmarena_001.jpg
The invite doesn't specify the type of device that both companies will unveil, but it does say Samsung will show off Tizen OS running on actual devices. The event will also offer a glimpse at "the major milestones that the Tizen project has hit since last year's event."
According to analyst Geoff Blaber of CCS Insight, Samsung has to show commercial devices at the Mobile World Congress. This would solidify Samsung's mobile foundation, and give it a backup to its smartphone business in case Android takes a turn for the worse.
Back in November, 36 companies chose to back Tizen, including Panasonic, eBay, Sharp, McAfee, and Intel just to name a few. For a look at Tizen OS and what sort of features it brings to the table, you can check out this developer hands-on video.
We'll find out more about what new stuff Samsung and Intel have been cooking up on February 23 when the event is scheduled. Mobile World Congress 2014 will take place in Barcelona from February 24 through 27, so be sure to check back with us then for full coverage.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm my money is on the OS flopping. As long as they are taking to develop it, the first consumer device is going to have to be crazy good for anyone to take it seriously at all. That and all the other Samsung products are going to have to immediately work with it and work well.

Where is that guy that said that the S4 would 100% run tizen instead of android and that Samsung was going to drop android by now? Good times...

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I love Samsung and I'm willing 5 give them them the benefit of the doubt. I'm tied to my Note 3 until 2015 so if they get devices out now, we should have a good idea of what Tizen offers by then.

It is going to be an uphill battle competing against Android though. Samsung had better be prepared with some major apps out of the bix.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo