Re: Galaxy S5 Prime to be launched in June

Oh I've got to get this phone!!!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Oh yeah, now this is going to be worth the wait. My sons 16gb S5 has been returned for the third time in a week with the camera error......he is currently on until #4. I really believe that Samsung ran into problems and had to meet deadlines so they pushed out the S5 too fast. I was waiting for the 32gb but now that the prime is going to happen for sure then I will wait. Can you imagine how many used S5's are going to flood the market when the prime comes out? It will be totally worth the wait.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Don't you think Samsung just screwed their fans. Two months after releasing the S5.

SHIFT_pro s5

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Good chance it will be a Korean exclusive... Would be the first time a better version of a phone is released there. Don't draw and conclusions too soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Yeah but in all honesty I think that we all knew that there was going to be a prime and besides.......Samsung always floods the initial release with the plain vanilla models then releases the good stuff 60 days later. That's the reason why I didn't run out and get the little 16gb model and now it turns out that the cameras are going bad. If I had a 16gb model I would be using the camera a lot because it wont fail unless used . Samsung is just going to issue refubs...so figure it out before the two week return period expires. The Prime will sell in the USA because high end models are built for the countries with money to spend.
Don't you think Samsung just screwed their fans. Two months after releasing the S5.

SHIFT_pro s5

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Good chance it will be a Korean exclusive... Would be the first time a better version of a phone is released there. Don't draw and conclusions too soon.

Yeah exactly what I'm thinking, it's possibly gonna be a Korean exclusive I think

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

That link is nothing but rumors repackaged as news full of wiggle words.

"... the Galaxy S5 Prime could be launched in June."
"...details on the hardware the Galaxy S5 Prime could carry."
"...device could debut the new octa-core Exynos 5430 processor..."
"...a June launch date is something that cannot be confirmed..."

I'm not saying the Prime is a myth, I'm just saying a June launch date anywhere - Korea included - is complete conjecture.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah exactly what I'm thinking, it's possibly gonna be a Korean exclusive I think

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Yeah but in all honesty I think that we all knew that there was going to be a prime and besides.......Samsung always floods the initial release with the plain vanilla models then releases the good stuff 60 days later. That's the reason why I didn't run out and get the little 16gb model and now it turns out that the cameras are going bad. If I had a 16gb model I would be using the camera a lot because it wont fail unless used . Samsung is just going to issue refubs...so figure it out before the two week return period expires. The Prime will sell in the USA because high end models are built for the countries with money to spend.

Just basing it off history with Samsung. Typical higher end models of the galaxy series stay in Korea. We have yet to see a higher end of the note or galaxy series.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Too many rumors at this point - maybe in the next few weeks we can get confirmed information.

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Same here. Also I know that I might end up selling my s5 on ebay and getting this phone.

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

We will know for sure this is coming if Samsung sends out an invite to an event soon. What could happen is that the S5 gets cut down to $99 and the S5 Prime is priced at $199 or even $250...

SanDeggo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

No poops given, new technology comes out every day. I'm happy with my S5 personally.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

My .02 cents on the whole thing (I posted these in the AC article, but thought I'd do so as well as there seems to be a bigger discussion in this forum):

If this ever does come to fruition, and that's doubtful (a ton of prototype devices get made and tested before a final product is launched), I'd wager a guess it'd be launched as the first "Galaxy Pro" phone rather than a Galaxy S - this aligns it with the more expensive/premium Galaxy Pro tablet series

Secondly, even if this device does get released - why on earth would it end up on American shores, for two reasons:
1) The Galaxy S just was released and is seeing amazing sales results - what sane carrier here is going to want to cannibalize sales of devices they already have in stock?
2) Logistically, you'd have to launch this thing alongside the G3 to make it make sense - otherwise, you're snubbing the GS5 adopters (unless there's an inhouse "upgrade" program, which seems unlikely. That's a lot of work to get done in a very small amount of time for a device that doesn't even have an official announcement. The other option is to release it later - which makes even less sense, as it'd be competing with the Galaxy Note (4?)

But the more important question is "Why the hell would anyway want this?"

Look, I'm all about improving screen tech - but this thing is a half breed the likes of which has "failure" written all over it like we've never seen before. Let me explain what I mean by that:

1) A 2500*1440 device would likely be paired with both a Snapdragon 801/Exynos equivalent (you can go on and on about whatever brand you like better - but they compare pretty closely on specs and power consumption) along with a what? 3000mAh battery? I have a Galaxy Note 2014 running a 2500*1600 display with a comparable to Snapdragon 801 processor and a 9000mAh batter - the average battery life is about 8 hours...a smaller battery is going to last what - 15/20 minutes?

2) Google HATES high resolution displays. Go ahead, sneer and jeer at that remark - I'll point to the Nexus 10 as an example of just how much they hate high resolution displays - nothing is written to take advantage of the screen space, Android itself doesn't like the resolution (as can be seen in native menus/drop downs) and even if you're not counting on support from Google - Support from app developers in the playstore for apps that support higher resolution tablet displays is non-existant (if you have a tablet with higher than 1080p - I'd love to hear of some tablets that support the screen size well), and at the end of the day - even the Google Now launcher handles that resolution terribly.

So now you have a device with terrible battery life that not even Google cares about in terms of support - what a winner?

At the end of the day, if this ever gets released - I can see it being a limited run product to mature the display fabrication process. Think the same thing that was done with the abortion that is the Galaxy Round or (/shudder) GFlex.

Jack