What is Android Silver?

asussex

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It isn't a replacement, we now know.

Think about the name, though. "Silver" is too close in meaning to "Chrome" to be a coincidence. I think it implies a product line with a single predictable UI look and feel.

Seems reasonable to me, as it would help with delivering timely updates directly from Google and extend the useful lifetime of the device.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
It isn't a replacement, we now know.

Think about the name, though. "Silver" is too close in meaning to "Chrome" to be a coincidence. I think it implies a product line with a single predictable UI look and feel.

Seems reasonable to me, as it would help with delivering timely updates directly from Google and extend the useful lifetime of the device.

That's an interesting way to look at it! :D

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google experience devices with a variety of hardware, no comprises, and a unified user experience. Nexus devices for the average consumer and a price closer to other flagships(more expensive than the profit less Nexus devices)

At least that is what the hopeful rumors state.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The way i see it, is Windows has a variety of different manufacturers that make their products ( HP, Lenovo, Asus, Etc).They are completelty different as far their builds and sizes, but They all look the exact same once you turn on that screen. It will be no different than that. You will have devices running stock android but they will look different and be made by different manufactures. It will allow Google to open up their Android stores in Malls and other retail areas like Microsoft and Apple do or if the dont want that, they can have Android Silver stations in every carriers store. It will basically grow their brand and have people finally find out what stock android is.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Im not confident android silver will happen. I just dont see carrier branded nexus devices. At&t and verizon dont allow unlocked bootloader nor do they support it.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Well Google will need reference devices for later software so not gonna happen...

I find your hate for Nexus devices amusing??????????????????

Any device can be used to develop on/for the Nexus is not the only phone in town

Glad I can amuse you :)

Not safe for work langauge in the video, you have been warned