Noobs guide to rooting/romming your phone.

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how much more I can differentiate between the files. And, to be honest, I don't think you are having an issue with the names. You seem to be putting all of the files where they go. As for your confusion between the interfaces on the two versions of cwm, i went over that last night.

Either let me fly or give me death. Let my soul rest, or take my breath. - DMX

of course you can. look at me as a very detail oriented user, which I am. not enough detail - can't follow instructions; too much detail - one gets sunk in it. just like my patients do.

of course, ECOs and CWMs can be differentiated by the last words in their descriptions. it's simply easier to follow having them marked up front.

please, please, please, do not feel upset. when I sit and write instructions for my patients, I think they are crisp clear and obvious. but I am a trained professional and KNOW what I am talking about. THEY cants sometimes tell left from right, and have issues reading. or comprehending. so back to editing do I go.
so if you have a guy with 2 degrees (MSc & BSc), and 11 years of universities confused - maybe there's merit to his confusion?
once again, thank you for your help. you are a great guy! or a gal. great attitude. and this is nothing comparing to 3 weeks I spent once trying to set up IKS satellite receiver, 2 forums and seller assisting with it.

be well and have a great day.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
of course you can. look at me as a very detail oriented user, which I am. not enough detail - can't follow instructions; too much detail - one gets sunk in it. just like my patients do.

of course, ECOs and CWMs can be differentiated by the last words in their descriptions. it's simply easier to follow having them marked up front.

please, please, please, do not feel upset. when I sit and write instructions for my patients, I think they are crisp clear and obvious. but I am a trained professional and KNOW what I am talking about. THEY cants sometimes tell left from right, and have issues reading. or comprehending. so back to editing do I go.
so if you have a guy with 2 degrees (MSc & BSc), and 11 years of universities confused - maybe there's merit to his confusion?
once again, thank you for your help. you are a great guy! or a gal. great attitude. and this is nothing comparing to 3 weeks I spent once trying to set up IKS satellite receiver, 2 forums and seller assisting with it.

be well and have a great day.

I'm not saying I can't do it. I just didn't think "place file 1 here, " and "place file 2 here" with a reference list would make it much clearer. But, maybe it will. Do me a favor, go to your settings and make sure all the numbers match up with the op. I want to be certain you are on a 2.2.2 kernel. Your wife would be displeased if her phone started geeking on her.
Also, I'm sure you use rom manager on your charge. Don't bother with it on her continuum. ROM manager thinks we are a fascinate (the kernels and firmware are almost identical)

thegearbox

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, everything is up and running, and surprisingly very smooth. The process went well, I did hit a hitch with a faulty sd card, and there are a few instructions that didn't exactly match up, but other then that it worked well and I am very grateful for those that made it possible. My phone runs better then it ever has, and this has eliminated a lot of built up frustrations. Thanks.

Reactions: wildman9904

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, everything is up and running, and surprisingly very smooth. The process went well, I did hit a hitch with a faulty sd card, and there are a few instructions that didn't exactly match up, but other then that it worked well and I am very grateful for those that made it possible. My phone runs better then it ever has, and this has eliminated a lot of built up frustrations. Thanks.

Glad you are up and rolling what instructions didn't match? Maybe I can go back and make this a little easier for those of you that are having issues with my clarity.

thegearbox

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are up and rolling what instructions didn't match? Maybe I can go back and make this a little easier for those of you that are having issues with my clarity.

Off the top of my head, I think there was as extra step in the location of the zip file on the sd card, and the "Pass" label should probably be used instead of the "Reset". In general though, they are close enough and easy enough, a little improvising helped, and it wasn't all that hard. I did however take your advice and acquire drinks at the recommended times. It was a good call on the refreshments. A few bits of advice on my part.

1. If error loading first zip, try an SD card format (make sure to copy your data).
2. Phone "Lost" the first zip a few times, so I had to load it in odin twice.
3. Backup old and new image (like you instructed)
4. Update apps immediately. Market app will then update. (I had a lot of force closing before updating)
5. I think my RSS works now, forgot about that since it hasn't worked for about a year.
6. I kept the back of my case off, be careful not to lose the battery.
7. If error loaded initial zip, hit back button, should give you an error code.

That's all I think, thanks for all the help, and the rejuvenation in my mobile life.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
do you lose all contacts, pix and apps when doing this?

No. Not unless you do a data wipe. If you want insurance against anything happening (such as, something going wrong and you having to do a reset), here is what I suggest.

1. go to setting>usb settings and make sure 'mass storage is selected' (it's going to have to be to move update.zip and ec07-deodexed onto the card anyway).
2. Go to settings>applications>development and check usb debugging.
3. plug your phone into your computer. after a couple of seconds, two icons will pop up on your notifications bar
4. drag down the notifications and tap 'USB CONNECTED select to copy files to/from your computer'
5. tap 'connect usb storage' when it pops up, and hit ok on the toast window (the pop up window)
6. select 'open folder to view files' when the window pops up asking for your actions.
7. go to the top left and select organize, then select all from the drop down that shows up.
8. right click in the highlighted area and select 'copy'.
9. create a new folder on your desktop by right clicking a blank area, then hovering your mouse over 'new'. when the menu of options shows up, select folder.
10. open the new folder and right click inside of it, then left click 'paste.'
that will back up the contents of your sd card (pix, music, any podcasts or audio books, etc.)
11. As long as you are there, you can drag the two files I mentioned inb step 1. and place them on the sd card.

next, go to settings> accounts and sync
1. select your primary google account (if you only have one synced to the phone, it'll be the only one that shows up). It should have a green circle next to it.
2. when it opens there will be a list of items with a space on the side for a check mark. Make sure contacts is checked, along with anything else you want to back up on your google accounts page.
3. once that's done, back out of it.

Now, close out the folders on the desktop and drag your notifications down. Select 'TURN OFF USB STORAGE', then tap 'STOP' at the bottom of the screen that shows up.

you have backed up your contacts (as well as any other account info you selected) and all of your sd card contents. As for apps, it's a no go. Your paid apps will NOT make you rebuy them. they will show up as 'purchased on the 'my apps' window for market. and the rest, you'll have to find again. I would suggest that you write them down, before starting the process (if this is a concern).

Once again, all of this should be wholly unnecessary. I've flashed 3 roms and haven't wiped once. Once you flash this one, you can get Titanium backup and back up all of your apps and data, if you want.

Reactions: kenny5100

gk438

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the step-by-step guide... Much appreciated.... I followed the instructions, phone works great. The only thing I noticed is that my Baseband version is still on S:i400.0.6V.ec03, and not on ec06. What am I doing wrong here? Do i need to flash a modem/radio file?

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the step-by-step guide... Much appreciated.... I followed the instructions, phone works great. The only thing I noticed is that my Baseband version is still on S:i400.0.6V.ec03, and not on ec06. What am I doing wrong here? Do i need to flash a modem/radio file?

Check your kernel. Make sure it's what is stated in the tutorial. I suspect that you may have missed flashing the kernel modem combo (ec07.tar)
Edit: no. That can't be right. Otherwise you'd still be on dl17 baseband.... Let me look into it.
Ok. I'm not sure how you wound up with ec03. It will work fine, though. If you are hell bent on ec06 baseband, just download th. File again (to make sure you have the correct one) and flash it the same as the original. But, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am not a fly, i am levitation. I represent an entire generation. - Niki Minaj

Last edited:

gk438

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I re-downloaded and re-flashed the ec07.tar file and got to the ec06 baseband version. It's amazing how much better my phone is working with froyo... I actually started to get notifications now... :)

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I re-downloaded and re-flashed the ec07.tar file and got to the ec06 baseband version. It's amazing how much better my phone is working with froyo... I actually started to get notifications now... :)

Outstanding

damnfingers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...if there's another update (eventually) are you going to be around to help us noobs install it? I'm liking my continiuum now and don't want to upgrade phones unless I have to. :cool:

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...if there's another update (eventually) are you going to be around to help us noobs install it? I'm liking my continiuum now and don't want to upgrade phones unless I have to. :cool:

Probably. But, to be honest, is rather you learn how to do it.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Android 3 or 4 has too high a requirements to run effectively on the Continuum?

No, it doesn't. The problem we have is that 1. the source has never been released for 2.1 or 2.2, hence the reason we can't build custom kernels, and why the proposition of building custom roms (read AOSP, CM, or MIUI) is almost impossible.

Also, a gingerbread and ICS kernel has never been built. And without the source to build off of, it won't happen unless someone shows up that can build kernels from scratch.

travis2387

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Now if I can just get the aosp mod from imnuts to flash,I can get rid of that stupid puzzle lock.xD:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Now if I can just get the aosp mod from imnuts to flash,I can get rid of that stupid puzzle lock.xD:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

http://db.tt/PfqtfirW

There is the link for stock accurate. It has accurate battery icon (0-100, in 1 percent intervals) aosp reboot options and aosp lock.