Why Do I have Duplicate photos in 2 locations on phone

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello!
I was trying to move some photos off my phone memory to my 32GB SD card. It was then I noticed that there are duplicate .jpg files, in two places.

One location is "home /myfiles/images" the other is the "SD card/DCIM/camera" folder. Does the phone decide to make a DCIM folder on the SD card and then put photos in BOTH places? I don't recall telling the phone to create a DCIM folder on the SD card and I have proved that taking a photo makes it appear in both areas. But it seems if I delete one from the /home one then it disappears from the SD card too! <geez>

What's up with this?
I was going to use my USB connection to move the files but of course the 'puter didn't see any of them either in Win 7 or Linux!

thank you in advance!
"25544"

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The "Images" category you're seeing in My Files is simply farming photos from different places on the phone and displaying them in one place. It's the same as how the Gallery works. The Gallery is also just a place where all the photos are displayed. No photos are actually located in the Gallery, or in the Images category you're seeing... this is why when you delete the photo in the Images category, you're actually deleting the actual photo saved on the SD card. Works the same in the Gallery.

I don't recall telling the phone to create a DCIM folder on the SD card
If you've set up your Camera's default storage location as the SD card, then the DCIM folder on the SD will be used for storing all photos you take. The DCIM folder is a standard for mobile devices and cameras as the storage location for photos... it can be present on both the internal and external (SD) memory and while you didn't create it, the phone did.

I was going to use my USB connection to move the files but of course the 'puter didn't see any of them either in Win 7 or Linux!
I can't help you with Linux, but in order for your computer to see your phone, you need to install the Samsung USB drivers. You also need to have at least Windows Media Player 11 installed, and the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Service must be running. If you've disabled this Service, then the phone won't connect. Once you've installed the Samsung drivers, and after you connect the phone to the computer, you need to pull down the notification shade, click on the notification that says the phone is connected as a media device, and then put a check mark so MTP mode is enabled.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much for all the information! So the phone automatically defaults to putting photos on the SD card or did I make the choice somewhere? If so where would I change it back to make the phone memory the default location?

I believe I have the Samsung USB drivers installed in Win 7, I have WMP 11 but I need to check the Driver Foundation. That's one I never heard of :D I think I noticed that the option to have the phone in MTP mode. So in essence I'm almost there. I could access some of the directories but the ones that I needed either weren't visible or showed there were no .jpg files in them, when in fact there were.

Again many thanks,

"25544"

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Normally, it's the user that has to change the default save location to the SD... the phone memory is normally the default. You should be able to go into the Camera app Settings to change the default save location back to the device.

The Windows Driver Foundation driver is already resident on Win7. You don't need to install it. I only mentioned WMP11 and WDF because sometimes people uninstall WMP11 or stop the WDF service, and both are needed along with the Samsung driver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty