New hands on video and information from Samsung

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
So the first thing, yes there's a crease. Even after we were told that in the production models there wouldn't be a crease!

The Verge has a hands on video here https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/15/...eo-foldable-screen-phone-hands-on-impressions

And Samsung's own website has a lot more info now: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...obal%2Fgalaxy%2Fgalaxy-fold%2F&token=rdazGE2U

Including an accessories page so that you can see what that kevlar case looks like as well as the really expensive leather one: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fgalaxy-fold%2Faccessories%2F&token=B7rg-OJn

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Fold Awesome
Things i would like to know
1) *Please compare UFS 3.0* to orther phones SD cards, how does that fair
2) How is the Battery life
3) Can we use it in a Laptop position in L shape, with screen on top & keyboard on bottom screen ?

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
No you can't use it in laptop mode, the screen shuts off when you close it beyond 30 degrees I think. No idea aboythe rest.

There's also hands on by cnet and the Washington Post. The cnet one is funny because she's clearly not been briefed first.

Probably more out there from the big tech blogs.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Looks like they lied. Looks pretty obvious too. Will be interesting to hear from owners after a few weeks or months if the crease gets more noticeable or general wear...

Plastic screen compared to normal glass so will be interesting to see JerryRig pull out his scratch sticks and see if it will withstand a level 5. I am guessing it will be really prone to scuffs and doubt screen protectors will be available for a folding screen.

There was a press release after the leaked hands on videos where they said those were pre production test units and the final version wouldn't have a crease.

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
I don't think it will be that bad. Every phone I had before Apple started using glass had plastic screens. Even with resistive touch screens they never got scratched much and that was with plastic stylus use too. With this on the inside I don't see it being a problem.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Heard a lot of people comparing the Huawei to the Samsung... What we have to keep in mind is that the foldable screen is plastic. Can you imagine the wear and tear on the huawei ? No thanks! at least the Samsung version would protect the plastic screen when folded.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The crease kills it for me. I’ll wait for the second generation.

There was another video of the Huawei and it had a crease as well, and that folded out. You might be waiting for a while. I'm waiting because I use my Spen enough that I will stay with the Note line. But this looks so nice and I want to see what it can offer in the future (or if I don't like the Note 10, see if any Folds might be available). I actually like the larger screen for some things.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
There was another video of the Huawei and it had a crease as well, and that folded out. You might be waiting for a while. I'm waiting because I use my Spen enough that I will stay with the Note line. But this looks so nice and I want to see what it can offer in the future (or if I don't like the Note 10, see if any Folds might be available). I actually like the larger screen for some things.

I'm hoping future generations will figure out the crease thing. The crease makes me nervous about how well the phone would hold up, especially with a $2,000 price tag.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My apologies to all of the early adopters but even with all the disposable cash I have on hand this thing is a major exersize in futility. It's try to accomplish two tasks and does both of them rather poorly. Is it a tablet trying to be a phone or a phone trying to be a tablet?

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
My apologies to all of the early adopters but even with all the disposable cash I have on hand this thing is a major exersize in futility. It's try to accomplish two tasks and does both of them rather poorly. Is it a tablet trying to be a phone or a phone trying to be a tablet?
Why is that even a question that needs an answer? It's a device that will fit in a technology gap that some people have.

For me it's going to reduce my travel gear from a phone, tablet, and kindle to a single device. It has enough storage onboard for my entire digital photo library and music collection, and still have more left than any phone I've owned to date without adding additional cards.

It's also something that's incredibly cool and reminds me of when new phones used to come out that looked different and had genuinely different features.

I remember some of the weird and wacky Windows Mobile devices back in the day, and before that the Sony Ericsson P800. This is the first phone since everyone started copying the iPhone that we've had something actually interesting and fun again.

Why can't it just be a new device type that's not trying to be anything else?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

It's perfectly fair for you to find it futile for your own needs. But that's subjective and while it may not work for you but there's no reason that view is universal.

For me, it seems to offer what I need from both the phone side and tablet side, which should allow me to walk around with just one device instead of two. That itself would be more convenient but it also means I can probably drop my second tablet LTE line.

So cost savings and convenience without giving up much functionality seems like a win for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non