Thanks for the "repair" -- Device Status Custom and can't update

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My device SM-P600 is not being seen by Samsung KIES3, I am trying to do the same recovery. I am guessing that it is a windows 8.1 issue, but I really do not know. I guess I will live with sucky custom build until I can try this on another machine. KIES3 loads up, I plug the note in, in Odin mode to the laptop, and blah, nothing happens. I get the blue ring of windows saying that KIES3 is unresponsive.
By the way, I am also cb23shark, I lost my login information, but low and behold here it is.

Did you try click on Tools|Reinstall Drivers without the tablet plugged in and then plug in the tablet and let the drivers install?

I have read in many forums that Kies is terrible. I actually never used it because of that. But it worked for me in this case. If anyone knows the steps to reinstall the factory firmware using Odin, please post.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The KIES access to a winders machine seems to be a problem with a USB driver in winders.... Like everything Microstuff there is always something there to bite you.... After plugging in and unplugging table several times winders finally decides its a valid USB object...

Dale

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Looks like it was a bad flash from tech guy and recovery/bootloader is corrupted. In download mode KNOX isnt listed either. Real bad job, by whoever did it and didnt bother to check before shipped it back to you.
It's not necessary means device is rooted, some OTA does change to custom too or SDcard inserted that contains rooted files.
Mail Samsung support these pictures and ship it back to them is the best thing to do.

Normal, you can "restore" it back to normal status, by download stock ROM and flash it with Odin. That probably Samsung techs guys gonna do, when ship it back to them and since recovery is "corrupted". Best is to ask them first and hear if you can do it u self.

This should show in download mode (ignore Qualcomm secureboot, since I have LTE version):
View attachment 101261

Recovery Mode:
View attachment 101263

I sent my phone to Samsung for repair because it kept rebooting multiple times a day. My Note 4 was in full warranty, no root, nothing, and with %.0.1 insatlled. They replaced the motherboard and gave the phone back 2 days later with 4.4.4 installed. I asked the technician to go update it back to 5.0.1 because he said the motherboard had 4.4.4 installed.
Anyway I went home and the problem still persisted, same rebooting multiple times a day for no reason. I went back to them 4 days later and the suspected one of the apps I had installed from the Google Play Store was causing the issue, So they activated Safe Mode and the phone kept rebooting. So they take the phone back to the repair room and they find the phone has been rooted!?! I'm sat there shocked because: 1. I don't know how to root a phone, 2. I have no intention to root it because I still have 14 months warranty left on it.

So I began to argue with them saying that I did not root it. They're suggesting that one of the apps has caused the phone to root itself?! Seriously?! Is that possible??! I laughed, and I've spoken to other phone technicians, and they said it's not possible. I have a history of all the apps I've ever installed and I can guarantee you, none have the magical power to root the phone. That's ridiculous!

Now they are refusing to fix my phone because it says rooted, but it's not. Having read some of the suggestions in this post, I am even more inclined to think that Samsung have screwed the update process and 1. Either the replacement motherboard was rooted, or 2. during the update process, they installed a corrupt kernel or something. I say that because on one occasion when my phone was rebooting (after the new motherboard was installed), it came up with the message "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing. Set warranty bit: Kernel".

I have phoned customer support who are useless pieces of crap and have now escalated the issue. Samsung repair HAVE to be accountable for voiding the warranty, and they HAVE to replace the handset. Their argument is, they have never seen this before. Well, there is a first time for everything right. Let's face it, how many people go back after they have their motherboard replaced. That would normally solve the problem. Who knows, they may have rooted phones now too and they don't even know about it. This is a serious consumer problem that needs to be faced. Samsung are conning people and their technicians are dishonest, inept, unethical and rude.

I will knock on every door until this is solved.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I sent my phone to Samsung for repair because it kept rebooting multiple times a day. My Note 4 was in full warranty, no root, nothing, and with %.0.1 insatlled. They replaced the motherboard and gave the phone back 2 days later with 4.4.4 installed. I asked the technician to go update it back to 5.0.1 because he said the motherboard had 4.4.4 installed.
Anyway I went home and the problem still persisted, same rebooting multiple times a day for no reason. I went back to them 4 days later and the suspected one of the apps I had installed from the Google Play Store was causing the issue, So they activated Safe Mode and the phone kept rebooting. So they take the phone back to the repair room and they find the phone has been rooted!?! I'm sat there shocked because: 1. I don't know how to root a phone, 2. I have no intention to root it because I still have 14 months warranty left on it.

So I began to argue with them saying that I did not root it. They're suggesting that one of the apps has caused the phone to root itself?! Seriously?! Is that possible??! I laughed, and I've spoken to other phone technicians, and they said it's not possible. I have a history of all the apps I've ever installed and I can guarantee you, none have the magical power to root the phone. That's ridiculous!

Now they are refusing to fix my phone because it says rooted, but it's not. Having read some of the suggestions in this post, I am even more inclined to think that Samsung have screwed the update process and 1. Either the replacement motherboard was rooted, or 2. during the update process, they installed a corrupt kernel or something. I say that because on one occasion when my phone was rebooting (after the new motherboard was installed), it came up with the message "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing. Set warranty bit: Kernel".

I have phoned customer support who are useless pieces of crap and have now escalated the issue. Samsung repair HAVE to be accountable for voiding the warranty, and they HAVE to replace the handset. Their argument is, they have never seen this before. Well, there is a first time for everything right. Let's face it, how many people go back after they have their motherboard replaced. That would normally solve the problem. Who knows, they may have rooted phones now too and they don't even know about it. This is a serious consumer problem that needs to be faced. Samsung are conning people and their technicians are dishonest, inept, unethical and rude.

I will knock on every door until this is solved.

Actually it is possible for apps to root the device by themselves. You see, developers like the famous chainfire look for vulnerabilities in the firmware that allow root access to be gained. Recently a vulnerability was discovered where an app could be downloaded from the Google play store ave then the app could download other files, then the app could gain root access and do who knows what with your device. However the chance of this occurring is very low and the vulnerability was only recently discovered, and the repair people were probably just trying to weasel out of the repair.

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Samsung have said that they used a new motherboard which would not have been rooted, and that the update they did from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 could not have been corrupt.

They suggested that when i restored my device using Samsung Smart Switch, the corruption could have happened then. Is this a possibility? They said a corrupt APK etc could have been installed during the restore process. So they have suggested I factory reset and only add main apps like WhatsApp and Facebook. And if the phone doesn't keep rebooting, then there's a problem with one of the apps or other piece of software. Help?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Actually it is possible for apps to root the device by themselves. You see, developers like the famous chainfire look for vulnerabilities in the firmware that allow root access to be gained. Recently a vulnerability was discovered where an app could be downloaded from the Google play store ave then the app could download other files, then the app could gain root access and do who knows what with your device. However the chance of this occurring is very low and the vulnerability was only recently discovered, and the repair people were probably just trying to weasel out of the repair.
How can an app root a phone? I haven't downloaded any rogue apps. Only apps from Google Play Store. And i have absolutely no rooting software.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
How can an app root a phone? I haven't downloaded any rogue apps. Only apps from Google Play Store. And i have absolutely no rooting software.

As I said it COULD happen do to one of the vulnerabilities in Android, that does not mean that it did happen.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung have said that they used a new motherboard which would not have been rooted, and that the update they did from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 could not have been corrupt.

They suggested that when i restored my device using Samsung Smart Switch, the corruption could have happened then. Is this a possibility? They said a corrupt APK etc could have been installed during the restore process. So they have suggested I factory reset and only add main apps like WhatsApp and Facebook. And if the phone doesn't keep rebooting, then there's a problem with one of the apps or other piece of software. Help?

If it randomly reboots after the factory data reset, it means that it's not your fault and it's a problem with the system and there's nothing you can do about it within the parameters of the warranty, so Samsung would have to re-flash the system.

Nicole Johnson3

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
that means your phone is rooted and need to be unrooted i had the same problem and got my phone fixed after you get it unrooted the device status should say official

szhayone

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
I recently got my tablet back from depot repair, and I am unable to check for updates because, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." If I go to Settings>General>About Device>Status, the Device Status reads "Custom".

I did not have an SD card installed when I first booted it up. Rebooting has not resolved this.

Anyone know if there's a way to clear this or do I have to send it back in for repair?

No one at Samsung support had any ideas other than a hard reset. The repair center claimed that I could still install updates, but they are clueless.

I had this problem on my Samsung galaxy note 3. I was unable to use my mobile data, my Device was set to custom, and my sim card couldnt be read. I called samsung, my service provider and even tech support. I bought a new sim card, still no luck. No one knew what to do... So finally I played around with the phone and found the solution. You have to go to Settings, then "more networks", then "mobile networks" and finally you click "access point names". You have to make sure the correct access point name is selected. I don'tknow if everyone's is the same, but try them all until your phone is back to normal. Hopefully this helps! If anyone has any more questions my email is szburnett199@gmail.com. I check it daily!

mobile2020

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much...i got the satus custom to official

I have a Samsung Note 8 inch. Tablet. 2012 model.
N5100 INU version

The original Motherboard got corrupted so i installed a new motherboard Ordered it from Chinal. As soon as I installed the new MotherBoard everything works fine.

The issue is they ship with China Firmware
I need STOCK INU firmware on this. Or any English firmware.
I download the N5100 INU Firmware I allso tried ODIN
I also tried SmartSwitch
I also tried Kies UPDATE / Initialization nothing has been working.

ODIN gives "failed to write / complete error"
SmartSwitch unable to connect unsupported device
Kies same error

I also tried to update/ initialize but the issue is after download 2 or 3 hour of Firmware it goes to 0% and says "failed to update" try to use recovery mode from abother compbuter and ask for recovery CODE.

I know i am missing some thing very small.
I checked the Device is not ROOTED

I see ODIN mode
Binary: Samsung Official
Device Status Custom
Custom Binary Download: NO

Maybe it is locked or something.
IDK

2nd issue
When smart Switch Ask for model and serial
I had 2 or 3 times put the Indian MotherBoard Serial Number
And it had Failed.

Now i am trying to Do this with China MotherBoard Serial Number.
If this time it succeeds i will be happy to inform you.

But this will still only load the Official China FirmWARE for CSC CHN
Anyways After this Maybe i will try ODIN
Since once it will have china official firmware
then it will have India ODN firmware via ODIN

But I could also go into a bad State here..
If the china guys sent me the motherboard with custom firmware which will support all india sim cards and etc. And now if i complete this official china firmware. I might get locked out !!
Dam i dont know what will happen and how i will solve this.

The ONLY solution someone has suggested who bought this same mother board and did it.
Said that " you need to make IMG of the original Country Firmware built into the Odin file and you also need all the files BL / CSC / PD etc.

I want HELP thanks

mobile2020

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 8 inch. Tablet. 2012 model.
N5100 INU version

The original Motherboard got corrupted so i installed a new motherboard Ordered it from Chinal. As soon as I 7 the new MotherBoard everything works fine.

The issue is they ship with China Firmware
I need STOCK INU firmware on this. Or any English firmware.
I download the N5100 INU Firmware I allso tried ODIN
I also tried SmartSwitch
I also tried Kies UPDATE / Initialization nothing has been working.

ODIN gives "failed to write / complete error"
SmartSwitch unable to connect unsupported device
Kies same error

I also tried to update/ initialize but the issue is after download 2 or 3 hour of Firmware it goes to 0% and says "failed to update" try to use recovery mode from abother compbuter and ask for recovery CODE.

I know i am missing some thing very small.
I checked the Device is not ROOTED

I see ODIN mode
Binary: Samsung Official
Device Status Custom
Custom Binary Download: NO

Maybe it is locked or something.
IDK

2nd issue
When smart Switch Ask for model and serial
I had 2 or 3 times put the Indian MotherBoard Serial Number
And it had Failed.

Now i am trying to Do this with China MotherBoard Serial Number.
If this time it succeeds i will be happy to inform you.

But this will still only load the Official China FirmWARE for CSC CHN
Anyways After this Maybe i will try ODIN
Since once it will have china official firmware
then it will have India ODN firmware via ODIN

But I could also go into a bad State here..
If the china guys sent me the motherboard with custom firmware which will support all india sim cards and etc. And now if i complete this official china firmware. I might get locked out !!
Dam i dont know what will happen and how i will solve this.

The ONLY solution someone has suggested who bought this same mother board and did it.
Said that " you need to make IMG of the original Country Firmware built into the Odin file and you also need all the files BL / CSC / PD etc.

I want HELP thanks

Update:
Ok entering the China MotherBoard Serial Number smartSwitch installed the original China firmware back.

And now the Device status became
Official too.

That's 1 step ahead or backward idk.

So now I need to install India firmware via ODIN.

I assume if i use SmartSwitch and put Indian motherboard serial and after 2 or 3 hours of download it will not upgrade since it will try to match the serial number.

Anyways I just tired ODIN and it does not work. Same error

Complete (write) operation failed.

Any help please

SRi 130

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
this is an interesting thread perhaps i should refer samsung tech support to this thread. My samsung s8 has never been rooted, yet the "system status" shows "custom" when it should be "official". My s8 ha sbeen repaired twice by samsung in the last few months and they say my warranty is void because i have rooted the phone. I keep explaining it to them i havnt rooted the phone yet they refuse to believe me. The knox counter on my s8 reads "WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0X0000) this clearly shows that it hasnt been modified or rooted otherwise it would have tripped and showed 1. i cannot update my s8 because it says that my phone has been modified ...i reckon the samsung techs have messed this up..i need to check the imei numbers of the board and my original box...any ideas ta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta