Read this because it's funny!

beeattitude

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I'll make this story as brief as possible, but read the whole thing because it's pretty hilarious. So, I searched the world over for a tablet that I could use to supplement my online project management software. I needed something to take quick notes during a phone conversation or meeting. Found early on that typing my way through sales meetings with customers just didn't work. I type fast, but they don't talk/think in perfect A, B, C outline form. Neither do I for that matter. Besides, it's distracting.

After much study, I made my decision. Bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. Charged it up and found myself stymied by a few things. No worries. Off to Android Central, reading forums, watching YouTube videos. Downloaded a few recommended apps. Looking for a diary/datebook type app that's searchable. Shouldn't be that difficult. I just want to take quick notes when the phone rings and store them online. Days went by with me obsessed over my new paperless life. Watched more videos, asked more questions. Finally I'd had it. I put the gadget in its case and set it aside determined to finally get some work done. Productivity for this five days had taken a definite nosedive. I totally missed a scheduled conference call (sorry Patty!) because I'd written the name and number on the TABLET and it disappeared into the ether. How professional :) Apparently I'm not ready to toss the paper planner.

Then it happened. I was searching my desk for one of those infernal missing notes, when I grabbed the tablet to move it. It made a noise. I peeked inside the case to see the NOTE I'd taken with Patty's name and number written on the tablet neatly centered under the date! I swear I have no idea how that happened or what app had opened up.

So now, I am successfully using my expensive and ludicrously wonderful Galaxy Note by closing the cover. When I hear it make a little click sound, I know I'll have my most useful app onscreen. Isn't this pitiful??? I know I'm not the most tech savvy in the neighborhood, but this is downright embarrassing.

A screen shot of the app is attached. If anyone can identify the app and get me to it without having to close the cover on my device, I'll be eternally grateful. And, of course, go ahead and laugh. I think this is hilarious!

Attachments

• tempFileForShare.jpg
    tempFileForShare.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 47
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The app is action memo...at least that's the note pad portion of it...then you have the calendar and you have the accuweather app as well, hope that helps

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The app is called Daynote and you can turn it on and off under Settings/General/Accessory. Looks like you'll want to keep it "on" :) That's about all I can tell you. I've never heard the little clicking noise. In what app did you create an attachment that Daynote snagged it and displayed it with the reminder? What kind of noise???

Hassan Gulzar

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I just got a keyboard enabled case for mine and after sliding my tablet into it and closing the case, I opened again and saw this app or widget whatever it is. It work over the lock screen as well and I don't understand why it appears. Is it like a quick note thing? Like don't unlock device just take the information and save it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like monicakm said, the app is called Daynote and can only be activated by using a smart cover. It can be enabled/disabled in the appropriate Accessories settings.

Now, the calendar data is pulled from S-Planner. The weather data is pulled from Accuweather and location information from your network. The notepad portion is not pulled from anywhere unless you never saved the note (the latest, unsaved note is always there). If you saved the note, then that goes into "Action Memo", where you can find all the tiny memos you take either by writing on the Daynote app or by pulling up the Action Memo feature of the S-Pen. Unfortunately, there's no way to spawn Daynote into action other than by using a smart cover (and having it enabled in the Settings).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got a keyboard enabled case for mine and after sliding my tablet into it and closing the case, I opened again and saw this app or widget whatever it is. It work over the lock screen as well and I don't understand why it appears. Is it like a quick note thing? Like don't unlock device just take the information and save it?

Yup, that's the general idea. By using a smart cover, when you open it up you get this information and note-taking section at a glance, without having to unlock the device. Of course, by using this, you 'lose' lock-screen widgets if you open the tablet with the case. Once the case is open, if you turn the screen off and then on, the 'regular' lock-screen comes up, widgets and all.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, no. You can trick it by placing a magnet near the sensor and making it 'think' you opened a smart cover, though...
I'm sure there would be a way if you're rooted (either by manually triggering the smart cover action or a direct access to spawn the DayNote app) , but I'm not aware of any solutions right now.

In any case, the data in there is available through any of the stand-alone apps, but I would like that to be an app, too.

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
You can however take a note in an action memo with lockscreen on and not unlocking first without a smart cover.... But you can't get the calendar or weather.

The setting is under lockscreen.. and you do it by double tapping the spen and clicking the button at the same time. You gotta save the memo right then though or it just gets deleted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana