Which navigation software to use on the tablet with no data connection?

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding what navigation software I can use on this tablet without a data connection. I have the WiFi-only version, and when I'm out of WiFi contact, I can't use the Google Maps application which came on the tablet, as it requires WiFi to find anything.

Can anyone please tell me how I can find map/navigation software which will run on the tablet and allow me to find addresses as well as points of interest (restaurants, gas stations, airports, etc.) while I'm on the road with no WiFi?

I guess it will need to be something which allows me to pre-download all the map/POI data. I have lots of space on the tablet, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any pointers.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can still use Google Maps. Just download the map for offline navigation use. Jerry did a post on it on Android Central.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding what navigation software I can use on this tablet without a data connection. I have the WiFi-only version, and when I'm out of WiFi contact, I can't use the Google Maps application which came on the tablet, as it requires WiFi to find anything.

Can anyone please tell me how I can find map/navigation software which will run on the tablet and allow me to find addresses as well as points of interest (restaurants, gas stations, airports, etc.) while I'm on the road with no WiFi?

I guess it will need to be something which allows me to pre-download all the map/POI data. I have lots of space on the tablet, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any pointers.

Hi there.
There are also apps available on the play store that can give you offline maps.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.mapswithme.maps&token=4M-mZLLE

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the Wi-Fi version also, and use Navfree which is excellent. This is a free app available from the Playstore. You also need to download the map for the country you require, also free. This will give you sat navigation, and will take you right to an address as long as you have a postcode.
Some of the app interface is a bit ugly, and there are some issues that annoy me, like you can't delete searched routes, but it's highly recommended, and FREE !

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Google Maps doesn't really pass the sniff test. You can only download small sections (the writer said that he was able to download all of Dallas, but in my tests, I was only able to download small areas) and you have to know what you want before you leave. I know some will find these restrictions minor, but I would rather not have to deal with it.

I'll have a look at the others. I installed Nav Free, but without a data connection I tried searching for the local airport and it could not find it (I search by name: Sacramento International Airport).

I'll keep looking...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps doesn't really pass the sniff test. You can only download small sections (the writer said that he was able to download all of Dallas, but in my tests, I was only able to download small areas) and you have to know what you want before you leave. I know some will find these restrictions minor, but I would rather not have to deal with it.

I'll have a look at the others. I installed Nav Free, but without a data connection I tried searching for the local airport and it could not find it (I search by name: Sacramento International Airport).

I'll keep looking...

Some offline navigation apps require you to download maps and special add ons before usage to increase accuracy.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Why does TomTom not work on the Note 10.1.

I can't think of any technical reason why it shouldn't. Thus really annoys me as I have paid for it for my phone and it would be useful to have on the tablet too.

Skeeter686

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
...I tried searching for the local airport and it could not find it (I search by name: Sacramento International Airport)...

I don't know how good Co-Pilot is for searching by name, but it seems to do a good job of navigation and identifying points of interest.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have Sygic, Copilot and recently started playing with Waze after a 4 year period. Accuracy, routing and rerouting is better/quicker with the first 2, though traffic requires data and is a paid feature. Waze requires data, has a few accuracy and rerouting issues in Honolulu, and because it is non-satellite graphics, it is data friendly and traffic handling/reporting/participation is fantastic.

Sent via my Note 8

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Foxfi installed on my phone and use it as a hotspot for my GN/2014. Now you have real time navigation :)

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I am using Sygic, I have the world licence, it was offered on 40% discount a few months ago. It has happened twice during the past 6 months, keep your eyes open, it will surely be offered again.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Just a quick look at Sygic and I'm very impressed. It's offered at 40% off right now too! :)
Only a 7-day trial, though. I wish it were longer, but I guess I can just get out and try it on the weekend...

Thanks!

iso99

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
When I was travelling abroad last year, I relied on saved maps from Google maps. Then, I discovered open maps. Open maps is good when you are driving.

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Just a quick look at Sygic and I'm very impressed. It's offered at 40% off right now too! :)
Only a 7-day trial, though. I wish it were longer, but I guess I can just get out and try it on the weekend...

Thanks!

Go for it, you won't regret. This is lifetime world licence at 40%. You can't beat that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463