switch to previous size irritation

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I got my Note yesterday, and I'm not half as in love with it as I thought I would be. I much prefer my Nexus 7, but I'm learning to get on with the Note. One irritation though. The very annoying "Switch to previous size" icon in the bottom right corner of the screen when I'm using an app that was designed for smaller screens (i.e. most of them) Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of it, as it usually manages to cover the 'tweet' or 'post' or 'pin' button and is a real PITA.

And when I do occasionally decide to reduce the window size, is there a way to change the size of the resulting window? My choices seem to be huge or tiny with nothing in between.

All advice gratefully received.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Give me an example app name so I can see it your way.

The icon you mention is associated with Samsung's multi-window. You don't have to view things that way. You can use dual view or you can open the app without opening it for multi-window. See multi-window in this review which should also address your resizing questions: An in-depth Galaxy Note 10.1 review

Last edited:

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using multi window, I'm just opening the app by clicking on its icon on the home screen. The switch to previous size icon is there in the Facebook app, the Twitter app, and it's there now in Chrome. It's there in landscape and portrait. It's annoying :)

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I do vaguely remember a pop up message telling me that the icon would appear if the app wasn't optimised for larger tablets, but of course, I ignored it! :D

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using multi window, I'm just opening the app by clicking on its icon on the home screen. The switch to previous size icon is there in the Facebook app, the Twitter app, and it's there now in Chrome. It's there in landscape and portrait. It's annoying :)

Well I cannot say if it is intended for apps not written for different sized displays, but the icon is associated with multi-window and indeed in Facebook if you press it, you get the functionality of multi-window. In fact all multi-window apps seem to have a similar icon, some of them are unobtrusive, others like facebook are just ignorant.

I'm not finding any way to turn it off. You might try another launcher, or if you are so inclined, another ROM.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you're right - it does seem to be associated with the multi-window apps. I can understand Facebook having the icon in a stupid place, the app is fairly ropey, but I'd have thought that Chrome would have had it in a less irritating place. I guess I'll just have to live with it for now. If it all gets too much for me I can always go back to my Nexus ;)

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're right - it does seem to be associated with the multi-window apps. I can understand Facebook having the icon in a stupid place, the app is fairly ropey, but I'd have thought that Chrome would have had it in a less irritating place. I guess I'll just have to live with it for now. If it all gets too much for me I can always go back to my Nexus ;)

Ropey? Thats a new one on me.

On mine, chrome has the icon on the top right.

The launcher is easy enough to change, though I cannot guarantee it will fix the issue--I've heard Nova launcher is nice. You can grab it from the Play store and if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

Last edited: