How much stock should be put into the supposed LTPO display on the upcoming Note 20 series?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The S20 Ultra has a 6.9" LTPS display and the huge 5,000 mAh battery. The Note 20+ is supposedly coming with a newer LTPO display, but a 4,500 mAh. On the face of it, it's disappointing. But will the new display tech really offset the loss in battery capacity?

Of course, people use their phones differently, so I'm sure using FHD+ over WQHD+ will also be a factor, among other things, including software optimization and doing graphic-intensive tasks. What is everyone's opinion on this? 500 mAh isn't exactly a small reduction, imho.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The S20 Ultra has a 6.9" LTPS display and the huge 5,000 mAh battery. The Note 20+ is supposedly coming with a newer LTPO display, but a 4,500 mAh. On the face of it, it's disappointing. But will the new display tech really offset the loss in battery capacity?

Of course, people use their phones differently, so I'm sure using FHD+ over WQHD+ will also be a factor, among other things, including software optimization and doing graphic-intensive tasks. What is everyone's opinion on this? 500 mAh isn't exactly a small reduction, imho.

Worst case scenario is you set the phone screen to a 60 Hz refresh rate.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Isn't there a Note 20 Ultra? Maybe that has a larger battery than the Note 20+.

You've also got to keep in mind the Note needs to make room inside for the pen, reduces available space for a battery when screens are the same size.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the SD processor but the Exynos 922 5nm (if that's what we are getting) should help as well.
Also the LTPO display has a variable refresh rate, not 60/120 - either/or, that might play a big part as well

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The Note 20 "Ultra" is the +... just found to be named the "Ultra" by the Bluetooth SIG. The same group that certed the S20 as the S11.

For at least the last few gens, the Notes have had about a 500 mah smaller battery than the S counterpart mainly because of the S-Pen and by looking at the Note forums I don't think you see a lot of posts where the battery life diff is that significant that you see people rant about it... So I think battery life won't be a big issue.

You've also got to keep in mind the Note needs to make room inside for the pen, reduces available space for a battery when screens are the same size.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

I forgot that fact about the newer screen. Merci.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only just spent a grand on a phone. This is as much as I spent on the high end laptop 16 years ago. The 32" 1080i LCD TV was the same when a 1080p was £1500 minimum. That was a big cut into the furniture budget for my new flat and to this day my coffee table is 2 spare shelves from B&Q £10 shelving units gaffa taped to the top of the boxes for the Denon amp and Sony 6.1 speakers.
The Ikea £6 TV stand is still holding up too.

I guess I have a few years to read here how the next set of advances progress.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've only just spent a grand on a phone. This is as much as I spent on the high end laptop 16 years ago. The 32" 1080i LCD TV was the same when a 1080p was £1500 minimum. That was a big cut into the furniture budget for my new flat and to this day my coffee table is 2 spare shelves from B&Q £10 shelving units gaffa taped to the top of the boxes for the Denon amp and Sony 6.1 speakers.
The Ikea £6 TV stand is still holding up too.

I guess I have a few years to read here how the next set of advances progress.
A high end laptop was more like 3 grand 16 years ago

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
A high end laptop was more like 3 grand 16 years ago

Top end maybe. High end for a commercial buyer with a dedicate gfx card was a grand at the time. Yes there were machines for 3 times the price, some even higher but then how would I have bought the TV, Amp and Speakers (oh and the sofas, shelves and bed).
Trying to remember the brand. Might have been a Fuji/Seimens but that could be a later brand I started working with. It's 16 years ago. It was massively expensive for me at the time. I assigned it to my furniture budget when buying my first flat.
Now I have bought a phone for the price I could not have considered without a mortgage being involved 16 years ago is my point.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Top end maybe. High end for a commercial buyer with a dedicate gfx card was a grand at the time. Yes there were machines for 3 times the price, some even higher but then how would I have bought the TV, Amp and Speakers (oh and the sofas, shelves and bed).
Trying to remember the brand. Might have been a Fuji/Seimens but that could be a later brand I started working with. It's 16 years ago. It was massively expensive for me at the time. I assigned it to my furniture budget when buying my first flat.
Now I have bought a phone for the price I could not have considered without a mortgage being involved 16 years ago is my point.
I really don't want to keep this thread off topic, but if we stop and think for a moment, it's really unfair to compare prices from 16 years ago.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2020 are 35.73% higher than average prices since 2004.

According to the U.K. Office for National Statistics composite price index, today's prices in 2020 are 54.55% higher than average prices since 2004.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress