Second thoughts on 10+

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
To start with, I've had Notes since Note 2, with few big-screen iPhones sprinkled in-between. Recently went from Note 8 to Note 9, and now just got 10+. My problem is, for the first time in Note line it seems like a regression to me. I survived Note 8 crappy battery, and Note 9 was a real upgrade. Note 10+, other than the bigger screen, is driving me nuts with the finger scanner, power button on the other side, and no headphone jack is a PITA. It feels about as fast, the battery life feels comparable. I mainly upgraded because my wife always gets my old phones, and a 2 year old Note 8 battery life was driving her nuts, but I'm so conflicted. I just spent over $1k, and for what?

For those that upgraded from Note 9 and have had their 10+ for a while, are there things you have discovered that make you happy you did? I've only had it 5 days, and have another 9 under Verizon to return/exchange it...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Like you, I've had every Note since the Note 2. Some years feel like more of an upgrade than others. The Note 8 to Note 9 was fairly minimal for me, but I had no regrets. The 9 to 10+ has felt like more of an upgrade. The camera is significantly better in my opinion. The increased screen size is awesome to have. I missed the headphone jack for about a day. Then I bought a Bluetooth adapter for my truck and never looked back. I have not used wired headphones in a couple years.

These phones can last for 3-4 years and still run great so the difference is going to be less noticable. I'm very happy with my upgrade though. Of course, I also got a great trade in price on my Pixel 3 that brought my purchase price to $599 for the 512gb Note 10+, so that helps.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The camera is significantly better in my opinion. The increased screen size is awesome to have. I missed the headphone jack for about a day. Then I bought a Bluetooth adapter for my truck and never looked back. I have not used wired headphones in a couple years.
agree on all points. fantastic device despite headphone jack that I only used for aux. like you, I bought a BT adapter and moved on.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
To start with, I've had Notes since Note 2, with few big-screen iPhones sprinkled in-between. Recently went from Note 8 to Note 9, and now just got 10+. My problem is, for the first time in Note line it seems like a regression to me. I survived Note 8 crappy battery, and Note 9 was a real upgrade. Note 10+, other than the bigger screen, is driving me nuts with the finger scanner, power button on the other side, and no headphone jack is a PITA. It feels about as fast, the battery life feels comparable. I mainly upgraded because my wife always gets my old phones, and a 2 year old Note 8 battery life was driving her nuts, but I'm so conflicted. I just spent over $1k, and for what?

For those that upgraded from Note 9 and have had their 10+ for a while, are there things you have discovered that make you happy you did? I've only had it 5 days, and have another 9 under Verizon to return/exchange it...

Note 9 was the note 8s. I know.inowned both a note8 and the few extras thrown in cakes the Note 9. Note10+ is a BIG HUGE.improvement over the note9.

Better battery with better battery optimizations. In screen fps is better that the hard find in the back by the always finger smudged camera. NO crappy iris scanner that NEVER worked when I took my glasses off and opened my eyes real wide. Plus 1000 more that I don't have time to list.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Same as yourself, had notes since the 2, I had the 8 for two years since launch before getting the 9 only eight weeks ago,got the 10+ delivered today and the screen alone makes it a worthy upgrade to me already, it is just perfect

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I keep reading folks having issue with on screen FPS but not me. Workin 99% of the time. Maybe you want to re register it?

Also, enable face unlock, should help get some of that frustration out :).

Love my Note 10+. Camera big improvement. And screen is beautiful. Fast storage and 256gb had me saying good bye to external cards. Phone just runs smooth.

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the camera is definitely better, I forgot to mention that, but 9 was good enough that it's not a huge difference for me. I'm sure if you use it more than I do, it might be more important. Screen does feel nicer, I do like that fact that I was able to go one font size smaller now, and have a lot of real estate. Headphone jack is a PITA for me because I do music production and have few high-end headphones I like to use. Not a deal breaker with adapters, but another thing to remember.

And the FPS... It's not that it doesn't work most of the time. It's just slower and requires accurate finger placement. I could take my Note 9 out of my pocket and by the time I was looking at it it was unlocked. Not so with 10+. If it's bright or if phone is in Do Not Disturb mode, it's a total hit-or-miss. Maybe I'll get better with more practice. Facial unlock is not a reliable option for me.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad phone. I just don't feel like overall it's an upgrade, more of a win some/lose some sidegrade, and looking for things I might've missed that would make me change my mind. Of course there aren't really any other options out there right now that I'm interested in, but I'm contemplating just getting a cheap Note 9 through eBay and waiting until Note 11.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The way Samsung Incorporated such a big screen on this phone is a major success IMO. At first I thought whoa this is too big. But it only looks too big because there are practically no bezels. That said I put cases on all my phones. I don't know if I could get used to using this phone without a case because it is all screen and because I would end up accidently touching things on the screen too much. BTW most current release phones have done away with the headphone jack and having the power button on one side or the other is just an adjustment thing not a reason to not buy the phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The way Samsung Incorporated such a big screen on this phone is a major success IMO. At first I thought whoa this is too big. But it only looks too big because there are practically no bezels. That said I put cases on all my phones. I don't know if I could get used to using this phone without a case because it is all screen and because I would end up accidently touching things on the screen too much. BTW most current release phones have done away with the headphone jack and having the power button on one side or the other is just an adjustment thing not a reason to not buy the phone.

I've noticed since getting the Note I'm constantly hitting volume down to lock my XS Max when I use it. It really didn't take long for me to adjust personally.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I upgraded from the Note 9. For me, it's hands down a kick a** better phone. Now - I have a Sprint model - perhaps other carrier models or unlocked models or depending on the size (mine's 256 gb) those things may affect it. Or - maybe yours has issues.

I do a ton of stuff on mine, day in and out and have no issues. Run delivery apps, social media sites, emails, texts, and so on.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For those that upgraded from Note 9 and have had their 10+ for a while, are there things you have discovered that make you happy you did?
I like the phone. The huge screen is great for media, the camera(s) are excellent, battery life is a little better than the Note9 (which was already quite adequate), and I got a pair of Galaxy Buds with part of my bonus credit. They sound great to me (though I'm admittedly not an audiophile), and charge wirelessly so conveniently that I should never need to use wired headphones (so the headphone jack becomes irrelevant).

I did the Samsung trade-in for $600, so I paid just $500 for the Note10+, the Buds, and a charging brick, and I still have the $50 pre-registration bonus to spend.

It's handy to be able to use the phone to charge my watch or my earbuds in a pinch.

As for the new button arrangement, it seems much more convenient to me. Many of us complained about the awkwardness of the useless Bixby button when it was introduced. One problem was that with buttons on both side-edges, it was difficult to prop up the phone on its side to watch a video without accidentally pressing one of the buttons. Now, I can once again place it with the flat edge at the bottom.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had almost every note and almost every iPhone since the 4. My note 8 battery seems fine to me. In fact, I can turn on the directv app and watch tv for a few hours and not even make it to 50%. I know one day I was working on a printer and the Hurricane was pretty close or right over the Bahamas. I turned on the weather channel and had it playing for about 2 hours and the battery had only dropped to 60% or so. I also think the note 8 is still fine for speed and the screen still looks amazing although it’s outdoor performance is sub par. I’m pretty particular when it comes to speed and enjoy fast things but I don’t need bleeding edge either. We’ve come to a point where perceptible performance is getting less and less.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Same here....have used most notes ....starting from Note 1....except Note 5 and Note 7 that never came to my country....Note 8 was a compromise coz of Note 7 fiasco ....But Note 9 was good....But with Note 10+ samsung hit the ball out of the park....with the best 6.8inc display...doing any activity on the phone is amazing...huge battery gives me peace of mind...it easily last me 2 days with medium use....cameras are super...love the fast 25w wired charger and 15w wireless charging...love the powershare feature helps me charge my Galaxy Buds and Galaxy watch... indisplay Fp is great and easy to use when phone is lying flat on the table....my Fp works 90% of the time coz I have the factory screen protector still on...I read somewhere if u have factory screen protector on...then switch on touch sensitivity and then repair your finger prints....Spen is very good with editing pics and video....with awesome specs of 256gb (added 200gb sd card) and 12gb ram this phone is a monster...planning to keep for 2 years..let's see..what samsung temps us with Note 11....
kept Note 9 for exactly a year

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

I upgraded from a Note 9, but only because I killed it with water damage. I would not have upgraded otherwise - the 9 was fine. The 10 Plus is a good phone, but I'm missing the LED notifications and I don't like the FPS. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I'd say I was just as happy with the 9. Also, I'm having a problem with Smartview that I didn't have on the 9, and it seems I'm not the only one. It mostly only connects after a fresh restart of the phone.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Note 9 upgrade here too. I have to say I'm very happy with my upgrade. It's faster, love the bigger screen too. I'm happy with the FPS where it is and it works everytime for me. The facial recognition is fast, the power button is weird but I'll get used to it. This is the first phone I haven't installed Nova right from the get go too. But I'll hold judgement on that as I still might. I'm happy with my change.

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I officially transitioned the old Note 9 to my wife this morning, so I guess I'm keeping the 10+ :) In the end, I think the screen is my main selling point, going back and forth between the two phones the extra size/real estate is quite obvious. Thanks for all the comments!

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm happy you're sticking with the phone. I've never had the Note 9 but I really don't like that fingerprint on the back the way Samsung had it and overall the fingerprint on this one is not so bad I would also suggest use face unlocked it works really good and helps for those times you have frustration with the fingerprint. Funny thing about the button on the left side I agree with the other member here I keep hitting my iPhone on the left side because I'm so used to the placement of the Note 10 lol

This phone takes no second-place to any phone out there in my opinion .. Definite keeper,