Note 10+ camera

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
In the old days, we whipped out the Minolta 4 meter when uncertain about ambient light levels. I personally liked the Gossen Luna-star F2 meter better...easier to use. I was always within 1/10th of a stop when setting up studio lighting. For manual focusing, I absolutely needed a split screen prism to line up my verticals correctly. Aaaah, the memories. I didn't care for the high cost of film and processing though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In the old days, we whipped out the Minolta 4 meter when uncertain about ambient light levels. I personally liked the Gossen Luna-star F2 meter better...easier to use. I was always within 1/10th of a stop when setting up studio lighting. For manual focusing, I absolutely needed a split screen prism to line up my verticals correctly. Aaaah, the memories. I didn't care for the high cost of film and processing though.
Remember waiting for your pictures to develop so you could send pictures of food to your friends.... Lol

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I got to the point when in a pinch, I was able to measure ambient light just by eye-balling a scene. But it was always better to over-expose by a stop or stop and a half when shooting film when in doubt. It's the opposite shooting with digital nowadays. In Photoshop, "0" equals complete black and "255" equals pure white with no details. So I always kept that in mind when using the Eyedropper tool when editing.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Yep! I used to have a Minolta.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep! I used to have a Minolta.

...reminiscing on the thousands of times I would ask my assistant to press the flash "test" button so I can get a reading on my Gossen Luna-star F2 meter...ahhh, those were days. I was always striving for f5.6 at 10 feet for group shots.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Back then, everything was "full frame". Nowadays with my new cute, fun Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera, I have to factor in 1.6x focal crop for "normal" still shooting, plus an additional 1.6x crop for shooting in 4K high def video. Total focal crop is around 2.5x. Crazy having to do so much math in my head for a simple still or video, haha.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Back then, everything was "full frame". Nowadays with my new cute, fun Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera, I have to factor in 1.6x focal crop for "normal" still shooting, plus an additional 1.6x crop for shooting in 4K high def video. Total focal crop is around 2.5x. Crazy having to do so much math in my head for a simple still or video, haha.

Digital really changed things up. Now you can do your own post processing. Before you got it developed or developed it yourself but couldn't adjust all the things you can now.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Remember waiting for your pictures to develop so you could send pictures of food to your friends.... Lol

I NEVER did that. why would you pay to develop pictures of foods?! food critic, perhaps. even now, I find food photos a bit odd... I did it one or two times... this is what I ate... all it does is make me hungry lol

(no offense to those that like taking food shots. I'm sure some think my bug shots are weird)

Last edited:

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
That's all because they never learned in a full manual device. When SLRs started going with auto programs people got lazy. Anyone starting out today is at a disadvantage unless the took photography classes or make it their hobby and do what it takes to understand photography.

"It's all about the lighting"

Yep.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I NEVER did that. why would you pay to develop pictures of foods?! food critic, perhaps. even now, I find food photos a bit odd... I did it one or two times... this is what I ate... all it does is make me hungry lol

(no offense to those that like taking food shots. I'm sure some think my bug shots are weird)
That was sarcasm in contrast to all the food pictures of today.

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Ahhh Polaroid. My grandfather had and old B&W Polaroid that you had to warm up under you arm to help the developing. Memories.....ahhhhhhh. But my child hood was the good ol' disposable cameras.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh Polaroid. My grandfather had and old B&W Polaroid that you had to warm up under you arm to help the developing. Memories.....ahhhhhhh. But my child hood was the good ol' disposable cameras.
I have a Polaroid Swinger in my closet.... Don't recall if it's the original issue

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

My dad gave me his Polaroid that he used while he was in the Army. It's over 60 years old and still works. Unfortunately, I can't find film packs for it.