A better "hide camera cutout" option?

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding the camera hole distracting in apps that have white backgrounds. I know you can turn on "hide cutout" in settings but it just creates a huge bar across the top. I have a wallpaper that hides it on the home screen so I'm fine with it there. Is there a way to black out the top but keep the notification bar, clock etc. within the space on each side of the camera? Seems like a horrible waste of space to just chop off the top of the screen like that.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can use the Nacho Notch app. It keeps the status bar icons in their place but it will black out the bar on the home screen as well.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I'll check it out. I wish it would leave the home screen alone.
It's an all of nothing thing. You can always use a dark wallpaper so you won't notice it :)

I've been using this app with different phones and Android versions and I'm happy with how it works.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You can use the Nacho Notch app. It keeps the status bar icons in their place but it will black out the bar on the home screen as well.
Cant get it to work. Installed, added the tile but when I click it a pop up says something about allowing it access or something but it goes away so fast I cant read it then it doesnt pop up anymore.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Cant get it to work. Installed, added the tile but when I click it a pop up says something about allowing it access or something but it goes away so fast I cant read it then it doesnt pop up anymore.
Mmm. Have you checked permissions for the app? Make sure that Display over other apps is allowed. Are you running the 10 beta version?

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Mmm. Have you checked permissions for the app? Make sure that Display over other apps is allowed. Are you running the 10 beta version?

I'm running Pie. I figured it out. the message showed long enough for me to read it. Needed permission to draw over other apps. Pretty nice. I'll toggle it on if I get annoyed by the hole

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm running Pie. I figured it out. the message showed long enough for me to read it. Needed permission to draw over other apps. Pretty nice. I'll toggle it on if I get annoyed by the hole
Excellent! You can change the status bar height to adapt to the punch hole.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's an all of nothing thing. You can always use a dark wallpaper so you won't notice it :)

I've been using this app with different phones and Android versions and I'm happy with how it works.

The home screen isnt the issue. I have a pretty cool wallpaper that hides it in a cool way. It's just with apps that have a white header it really becomes distracting. What's the latests on dark mode google apps?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm running the 10 beta and don't have very many dark mode Google apps. The ones I do have are more grey, and less true dark mode.
I have dark mode in Chrome, Gmail, Keep, Drive and Photos. In general not many apps include a dark mode with a true black, I only got that in a few of them.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have dark mode in Chrome, Gmail, Keep, Drive and Photos. In general not many apps include a dark mode with a true black, I only got that in a few of them.

Ah, mostly apps I don't use. I want true black in Android Messages and YouTube the most.