Samsung's Crappy Update Policy.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm writing this on a Note 9 possibly a few days from the last major system overhaul.

It's crazy because the Note 9 is more than capable of running whatever you throw it at for the next years to come.

The Note 8 also capable, but already left behind in the dust.

Then comes the Note 10. By this time next year, it will also be at the end of its' "life" in terms of "feature" updates.

It's 2020. I still can't wrap my head around the thought of a device like the Note 10... on the last year of feature support next year because of some antiquated "2 major updates only" policy.

It sucks even more for late adopters who wait a year or so for prices to drop. They only get 1 major feature update.

Meanwhile Apple is probably modifying iOS 14 to run on the iPhone 6S as we speak, a now almost 5 year old phone.

Will this policy ever change? I mean what is the "excuse?" How do you guys feel about that? I know it's been like this for a while now, surely it's time for a revamp.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't care at all. There are never any features with the latest Android version that wow me cause they have already been part of Samsung's software UI for years already. Most of the time the newest version of Android ruins my experience so I don't look forward to them ever.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't care at all. There are never any features with the latest Android version that wow me cause they have already been part of Samsung's software UI for years already. Most of the time the newest version of Android ruins my experience so I don't look forward to them ever.

That's fair.

I was annoyed when Android Nougat came out with the battery enhancements, Doze improvements, and under the hood tweaks I couldn't get because the Note 4 got stuck on Marshmallow.

So in this case by "features" it doesn't always have to be a physical feature or software.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's expensive to implement and test a new OS version for a device. If Samsung committed to doing that for longer, they'd have to charge even more for an already expensive phone. I prefer new hardware as well as software within a couple of years, so I'm better off with the current policy.

Will this policy ever change? I mean what is the "excuse?"

Your preference is just as legitimate as mine, but there are probably more customers like me than like you. By doing what's in the best interests of most customers, Samsung benefits most customers as well as benefiting themselves.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm writing this on a Note 9 possibly a few days from the last major system overhaul.

It's crazy because the Note 9 is more than capable of running whatever you throw it at for the next years to come.

Then comes the Note 10. By this time next year, it will also be at the end of its' "life" in terms of "feature" updates.

It's 2020. I still can't wrap my head around the thought of a device like the Note 10... on the last year of feature support next year because of some antiquated "2 major updates only" policy.

It sucks even more for late adopters who wait a year or so for prices to drop. They only get 1 major feature update.

Meanwhile Apple is probably modifying iOS 14 to run on the iPhone 6S as we speak, a now almost 5 year old phone.

Will this policy ever change? I mean what is the "excuse?" How do you guys feel about that? I know it's been like this for a while now, surely it's time for a revamp.
I get your point , it sucks if you want keep your device longer , Samsung 2 years /pixels 3 years and iphone 5 year plus I'm assuming ,

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Even BlackBerry provided an OS update (albeit security update) in 2018 even though their last BB10 device was released in 2015. 3 years after they announced that BB10 was dead!!

Pixel or Android One devices are really the only safe Android to buy if updates are important.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I understand it can be expensive, but it wouldn't exactly kill them to support their "flagship" model of phones for a little while longer than they do.

In terms of feature support, the flagships have barely seen 15 months of supports. That is a mighty short time for something so expensive. It gets worse the longer you wait to buy.

Not everyone wants to shell out $1200+ every two years, or be in some constant pay cycle with Jump or Next or whatever those leasomg plans are called.

I went from the Note 4 to the Note 9. I was planning on doing the Note 9 to the Note 12 but I'm having second thoughts because of Samaungs short software lifespan. I rooted the Note 4 to tie me over for a while (it ran better on custom software than it did stock) so I'll probably do the same with the 9 which is way more capable than the 4.

New hardware used to excite me, but we've hit a ceiling. Now I'm more about updates and quality of life changes to software over a processor that will load Facebook in 0.7 seconds.

Ughhh, I'm so conflicted. lol.

Really appreciate the input this far.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The longer the they support an old model, the longer it'll take for you to buy from them again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, its sucks to be in your consumer category because most OEMs abandon software support after 2 OS cycles. Most consumers that keep a phone till it dies don't even notice that they stop getting updates. The consumers who upgrade every 1 to 2 years or less don't care that much either.

If more people cared and complained or boycotted their products we would see some change to software support.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What's surprising is that Apple has a clear advantage in this arena and they don't promote their devices that way.

Well. For me personally. Comparing IOS to Android is like comparing Petrol to Diesel cars. There is no which is better. It depends on the user...

And if im not mistaken, Apple was sued for slowing doen their device with updates a few years back...

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I'm somewhere in the middle.

I get excited about updates that bring new features or enhancements.

But as long as my phone is running well then I don't consider getting the latest updates a "deal breaker".

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I understand it can be expensive, but it wouldn't exactly kill them to support their "flagship" model of phones for a little while longer than they do.

In terms of feature support, the flagships have barely seen 15 months of supports. That is a mighty short time for something so expensive. It gets worse the longer you wait to buy.

Not everyone wants to shell out $1200+ every two years, or be in some constant pay cycle with Jump or Next or whatever those leasomg plans are called.

I went from the Note 4 to the Note 9. I was planning on doing the Note 9 to the Note 12 but I'm having second thoughts because of Samaungs short software lifespan. I rooted the Note 4 to tie me over for a while (it ran better on custom software than it did stock) so I'll probably do the same with the 9 which is way more capable than the 4.

New hardware used to excite me, but we've hit a ceiling. Now I'm more about updates and quality of life changes to software over a processor that will load Facebook in 0.7 seconds.

Ughhh, I'm so conflicted. lol.

Really appreciate the input this far.

Like a couple other folks mentioned it's strictly about greed..... the longer Samsung supports their overpriced phones the longer people will keep them. It's all about squeezing every last penny out of you in every way possible :-[ They want you to buy a new phone as often as possible, and they'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. That's why I don't buy Samsung phones ;-)

I won't buy a product from a company I have zero respect for.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons why Apple from a support stand point is better. They don't expect every customer to upgrade yearly or even bi-yearly, so they show support for the older phones. Apple does know that it has a strong following so a good portion of their customers will want that new flashy gimmick to get them to trade in/up early. While older models, say 3-4 years old my update then as well. I wish Samsung would commit to a longer life on the Note series, they should see it as a Premium Line and want to show how long one could last. I understand that Android is an open platform so for each carrier it needs to modify software, but if you already have the base software figured out then it should really be that hard to modify for the carries... Or just announce that only the unlocked versions will get a longer software update life due to not having to deal with carrier crap.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well. For me personally. Comparing IOS to Android is like comparing Petrol to Diesel cars. There is no which is better. It depends on the user...

And if im not mistaken, Apple was sued for slowing doen their device with updates a few years back...
My point is not to compare which one is better. Just pointing out they even though they have a clear advantage in this area, they don't tout it as an advantage. This also leads me to conclude that since they don't, they perhaps have figured out most of their consumers don't cling to update longevity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non