Note 2 Earpiece and Radio

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I am considering picking up an N2 from US Cellular but am wondering about a couple of things.

I had picked up a GS3 when they came out and had one of the units that had terrible dropped call issues. I ended up swapping it for a Motorola. I am aware that there was a select group of S3 handsets that had this issue but I am wondering if the radio in the N2 is different from the S3 or pretty much the same. Didn't know with the different processor if there was other internal changes as well.

Second concern has to do with the earpiece. I was underwhelmed by the volume of the earpiece on the S3. And I thought it was ridiculous to have to choose the volume boost option every time I made a call. And even with the volume boost I had some difficulties hearing it at times. (I blame the 80's hair bands) After I picked up my Motorola I had no problem hearing with it and actually don't typically have it turned all the way up. Looking at the N2 I would guess it houses the same earpiece speaker but thought I'd ask. And is that stupid volume boost option still there or did they just make the full range accessible with the volume keys vs having to tap the boost button.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the radio, but here are a couple of reviews on the earpiece quality between the Note II and S3:

From Phone Arena's Review: Samsung Galaxy Note II vs Galaxy S3 - Call quality, battery and Conclusion
Both handsets sport a pretty good call quality, with the scales tipping slightly in favor of the Note II, on account of its powerful earpiece with clean sound. On the other end the Galaxy S3 and the Note II behave very well too, relaying our voices in a crisp and loud manner, without much audible distortions.

And from Pocket-Lint's Review: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Samsung Galaxy S3: Which is better for you?
A smartphone isn’t much use if it doesn’t feel good or sound good making a phone call. In terms of actual call quality, provided you have good reception, the Note 2 and Galaxy S3 both sound the same.

We really couldn’t notice much of a difference at all, other than perhaps that the Note 2’s speaker was marginally louder, but not by much. The same applied when we set the phones to speakerphone mode, as both picked up on us talking and put out a good level of volume from the person we were speaking to.

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the leg work. Anyone know if you still need to click the volume boost when you are on a call?

Sent from my XT881 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis