Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - how to shown SD card as a disk drive?

babawushika

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

When I plug my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to my Windows 7 laptop through USB, it appears in Windows Explorer as "GT-N7105T" under "Computer". This way I can't run a shell script/DOS command to access the SD card.

My old HTC Desire would offer the option to expose the SD card as an external USB disk such as "E:" drive or "F:" drive. How to do it on this Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7 KB · Views: 119

gunrunnerjohn

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
So far, there doesn't appear to be any easy way to do this. A "work-around" is to use DropBox and mirror stuff to the phone, but that's somewhat of a kludge.

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Chances are you need to make sure you have installed the Samsung USB driver (this you can find on Samsung's support site for the Note 2); On my Windows 8 PC, with this driver installed, I get prompted to mount the Note 2 as a device... I can touch the phone and the sdcard through a file explorer or any file manager on the PC. I don't see why this would not work for a Windows 7 PC.

Of course, you can also try to get Samsung Kies to work, although for me with a Windows 8 64 bit pc it has problems.

Hope that helps... Happy GN2'ing

~ScottGeek

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
When I connect my GN2 to my Win8 PC it shows SGH-I317 and when I click the + next to it I see both the phones internal memory and my SD card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My Win8 system does the same as eds817's, when I plug it in, it shows at SPH900L and has a (+) next to it. Clicking that, it opens up to the internal and External SD memory that is installed. When I get home, I'll plug it into my wife's Win7 Laptop and see what it does.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, got home, plugged the phone into the wife's Win7 Laptop.

The computer searched and installed Samsung drivers and the the phone showed up. It looked like your screen shot. HOWEVER!!

When I brought the cursor over to the phone the arrow appears next to it and allows it to be opened showing Phone and Card and they can be opened like the disk folders.

Maybe there's a setting in Android that needs to be set so it will be recognized as a Data device? When I plug mine in, the phone shows: Connected as Media Device

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

When I plug my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to my Windows 7 laptop through USB, it appears in Windows Explorer as "GT-N7105T" under "Computer". This way I can't run a shell script/DOS command to access the SD card.

My old HTC Desire would offer the option to expose the SD card as an external USB disk such as "E:" drive or "F:" drive. How to do it on this Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Thanks!

The Note II doesn't support usm (usb mass storage), as it is with most recent android phones. The Note II uses either ptp (picture transfer protocol) or mtp (media transfer protocol). It will show the device and you can select between internal and external sd card (if you have one installed)

Older devices did, support usm, which gives you the drive letter.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't seem to have any problem with doing a copy/paste or creating new folders via my computer when plugged in with a USB cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty