How do I stop my emails being auto deleted?

Pherstun

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
**please read**

JJallsite has hit this problem on the head.

My PC email client is Pocomail and based on what JJallsite said I have worked out my phone emails keep getting deleted for the same reason - the PC email client is deleting the emails from my phone.

I have gone into my Pocomail account settings and under 'Incoming' I have ticked the box saying 'Leave on server'. I have sent a test email to my phone, then downloaded it on the PC - and the email stays on the phone.

Pcburns

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I just hit the same problem with my new s4 mini. Setting up outlook to not delete emails is not the answer. I have a small email quota of 10mb and tend to get a lot of emails with attachments, so if I do not delete emails for say 30 days my inbox will exceed capacity in just days and I will not be able to receive any emails.

I have seen another suggestion to manually save emails! No way! I want a smartphone to save me effort not make more work for me.

Surely the answer is that the email app should have an option to keep emails just as my old HTC android phone used to, and in the same way that the iPad does. Not everyone uses their smartphone as a primary device for email.

So is there another answer that does NOT involve setting outlook to not delete on the server? If not I shall have to return my S4 phone and get an iPhone.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone find a solution to this? This setting changed in the last week on my S4 and I can't find out why. Up until recently, I could read an email either on the phone or my PC and it would stay on the phone for 30 or more days. I could swear there was a setting to set the time period, but I'll be darned if I can find it. The auto-deleted email doesn't even appear in the trash folder on the phone. It now disappears immediately. Help!

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Try to delete them before the phone does. Make it a game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

Gianni C

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have recently been having the same problems, Although mine were an abrupt change after having changed from previously using BlackBerrys, Droid-X and most recently HTC to using the new Samsung S4. I have recently (several days ago) upgraded to the Samsung 4S and use several emails Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and an original email that is out of the NYC area through Transbeam.com, which happens to be a POP based email server.

Here is the situation, because I do not have a lot of storage available on my Transbeam.com email server, I have my PC software (Outlook) set to remove all emails from the server after downloaded onto my computer. I use my S4 to download these emails first and then use computer in the evening to clear the online cue and save the emails I want to keep on my computer. The problem is, once this is done and my S4 then Syncs up with the email server, it removes all the emails that had previously been downloaded on the S4.

I have just reviewed this with Samsung online that there are no setting on the S4 to change this, as this is part of the current android version 4.2.2 and it does not support a time delay email erase from the device. In other words, the other phones mentioned above have a "keep email on phone for X days" which is what we need for our POP email accounts. Google and Hotmail have this sort of feature on the S4 in the settings, but it is not as necessary as the POP mail account... because the POP account does not have the amount of free storage as the other mail accounts mentioned.

The result: This will force me to return the S4 :( (which I like very much with the above exception) to change to the HTC ONE! All in All, it means configuring and transferring data / programs over to a new phone again and also taking several days to get familiarized with another phone and to a efficient operating space.

If anyone finds that there is an app that can correct this or if there is another email client app that can be loaded onto the S4 that retains the emails for "X" days, I would deeply appreciate knowing ASAP.

Thank you,

G

Gianni C

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Noisemaker... Thank you! I had looked into this solution yesterday morning prior to you mentioning it, and You gave me the last push to pulling the trigger to just doing it. After a little bit of time becoming familiar with all the features and options that K-9 has, it worked out perfectly. I now am retaining my emails on my cell phone without the use of the Samsung S4 standard internal POP email client.

My only concern is if K-9 makes my email more susceptible to being monitors anymore than we are already being monitors... ;-)

Any other suggestion? If not, thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

G.

arorat

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have recently been having the same problems, Although mine were an abrupt change after having changed from previously using BlackBerrys, Droid-X and most recently HTC to using the new Samsung S4. I have recently (several days ago) upgraded to the Samsung 4S and use several emails Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and an original email that is out of the NYC area through Transbeam.com, which happens to be a POP based email server.

Here is the situation, because I do not have a lot of storage available on my Transbeam.com email server, I have my PC software (Outlook) set to remove all emails from the server after downloaded onto my computer. I use my S4 to download these emails first and then use computer in the evening to clear the online cue and save the emails I want to keep on my computer. The problem is, once this is done and my S4 then Syncs up with the email server, it removes all the emails that had previously been downloaded on the S4.

I have just reviewed this with Samsung online that there are no setting on the S4 to change this, as this is part of the current android version 4.2.2 and it does not support a time delay email erase from the device. In other words, the other phones mentioned above have a "keep email on phone for X days" which is what we need for our POP email accounts. Google and Hotmail have this sort of feature on the S4 in the settings, but it is not as necessary as the POP mail account... because the POP account does not have the amount of free storage as the other mail accounts mentioned.

The result: This will force me to return the S4 :( (which I like very much with the above exception) to change to the HTC ONE! All in All, it means configuring and transferring data / programs over to a new phone again and also taking several days to get familiarized with another phone and to a efficient operating space.

If anyone finds that there is an app that can correct this or if there is another email client app that can be loaded onto the S4 that retains the emails for "X" days, I would deeply appreciate knowing ASAP.

Thank you,

G

Hi Gianni C

I have had similar issues with the new Note 3 (coming from iPhone 4s), you have highlighted the solution already and hopefully below will give some more clarity, apologies if it does not.

Here is my set up...

Note-3 email client set up with 2 x PoP accounts and 1 x Hotmail account.
1 PoP account lost all emails so what was the cause ?
Looking at my Outlook setup for the 2 x PoP accounts, one was set to leave email on server for 14 days and the other one setup to delete email from server as soon as it pulls into Outlook.
As Note-3 does a TRUE sync with the PoP server and finds there are no emails there, it then deletes from the handset, not what we want and not something that we can override in the handset settings.

Solution, in Outlook I changed the setting to keep Mail on server for 14 days after pulling to the PC (the main workhorse), so as mail still sits on the PoP server, the handset syncs and keeps the same mail on the handset.

Gianni, you stated your pop account does not have that much storage so you have to pull all mail every night, extra storage and keeping mail on the server is one solution unless the Handset settings are improved in KIT-KAT.

Another problem I have is how to SYNC Note-3 with Outlook, with iTunes it was so easy :)

Last edited:

fretfreaking12

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me using Yahoo Mail. Add additional email account to your phone using your original info from Yahoo mail client, and configure for POP3, NOT IMAP. When your server config is synced, you will have to re-delete old emails to get your account "current", but you will now be able to clear emails on your phone without losing them on your home PC. I then deleted the old IMAP accounts from my phone. Disclaimer: This is Yahoo Mail, and I'm using a Galaxy S4. I recommend seeing this up on your phone in front of your home PC to ensure your deletion is on your handheld device only. Hope it works for you!

Gitzman

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I have been successfully using K9 Mail for perhaps a year. Then, recently it started deleting emails imediately after I read them. When I leave reading a new email and go back to the list of emails, it deletes the email I just read email imediately and it is no longer in the list of recieved emails. I want to keep those emails (until days/weeks later when K9 pushes them off the edge of the world)! If I mark the email as unread before returning to the list of emails, it does not delete the email. However, that a pain, and I'm not likely to remember to do it.

It happens with both my gmail account and my comcast account, so it is not an account problem. Both are pop3 accounts.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Carolinacsj

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
and for how many days my samsung will stoore the e-mails...can i keep them there until I feel like it to delete.instead of samsung deleting it? Do i have an option?

tomgibson1021

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Galaxy s5 android kit-kat device. I have a POP3 email account through a domain that I own. I can check my emails from my phone and they remain in my inbox until I go to my computer and retrieve the emails from my computer, at which time they disappear from my phone. I have not found any settings in my phone or my email server settings that will allow these emails to stay on my phone after retrieving them on my computer. I am on the line with Samsung advanced tech support as I type. I will post any solution or information I get from them.

Well, I was on hold while the tech was looking for answers and SURPRISE!!! I got cut off!!!!!!!!!! No call back from them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomgibson1021

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was on the phone with Samsung level 2 support supervisors and here is what I found out. The issue with the emails disappearing from your device is because they are no longer on your (pop3) email server. Samsung's native email application on the device does not download or create a permanent file on your device nor on the sd card. It takes what's on the server and displays it in the native email app. So when you retrieve your emails on your computer or any other device that removes the emails from your email server, your Samsung device will no longer see those emails, so they disappear from your phone. NOT what we want here!! There is no way to fix this on your Samsung device using their native email app. Your options are to get a third party email app, or get a non-Samsung device that doesn't have this problem, such as the HTC One. Sorry this don't provide a fix but I wanted to share with the world what I found out. That being said...I will experience with some third party email apps and post my findings here.

Kami Hall

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I've had yahoo mail since the beginning of time. It always saved all my emails until I deleted them myself. Now anything older than a month is disappearing! They are disappearing completely! They're gone from my COMPUTER too, not just my phone.
This sucks! I don't know how to get them back or where they went. I didn't delete them on any other device, and I see nothing under settings on Yahoo. I have used this email address for so long, I don't want to change it! It would be the ultimate pain in the ****. HELP!

jola01

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
this problem can be solved by setting outlook for not deleting mails from the server..
Go to Outlook > Tools > Account Settings > E-mail >change > More settings >advanced and setting Delivery (Leave a copy of message on server)

freezers83

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been trying to solve this problem both on a ace3 and a note 10.1 my hotmail which i use for junk works fine but my outlook which i use for all my business stuff is a disaster simply cannot use it on the move have to wait to get to pc the only thing i have been doing is saving emails as they arrive but this is not practical. all my business clients are on my outlook account and know my email address there In Passing Hi tried this it does not work either could it be to do with the my mail client virgin media I have tried to get them to sort it but India is a long way away and after 45mins on phone no joy

Techonerd

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy s4 I recently got from Verizon and I set up a email account I use for my business. I would load messages from my provider (Comcast) and then I noticed that my emails would be gone at some point after I that. After looking at many forums and trying different things I have figured out what is going on. I have this email account set up on my s4 and on the Ellipsis 8 tablet, I also have from Verizon, as well as my main computer I use for business. I am not going to get into the particulars of how to go into each email program and set it up but in general what you have to do is this. All phones, tablets and computers that you have the email account set up on that deletes the mail in the inbox must be set not to delete email from the server. Apparently the new update 4.2.2 (lollipop) has something to do with this and it is my understanding that it does not set your incoming mail setup to save messages on the server by default. You have to set that up yourself under incoming mail options. I have mine set to NEVER. My phone and tablet still were deleting incoming mail after I changed them. The problem for me was my email program on my business computer was not set to leave emails on the server. After I set it up to leave emails on the server everything started working correctly. In other words you have to have all devices accessing an email account set so they don't delete emails from the server when you download them. If any device is set up to delete emails from the server you will have this problem. When you download mail from the device that is not set up to retain emails on the server it clears out the inbox. When the other devices access the server they see no emails on the server so they delete any emails on your inbox. Because of all the various email programs out there I cannot give you specific instructions on how to do this setup but having all of your devices set to not delete emails from the server is the key to making this all work right. Hopefully this will help some of you having this problem.

gerretw

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
This is happening on my HTC one m7 - except it deletes anything older that 7 days old - I had 4 years of emails get wiped out and I can't get it to stop. Every day I lose more emails. It's crazy G

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
There's no doubt a setting for this in your email app. Should let you set the number of days to keep email (obviously set to 7 now) and give a choice to leave it on the server indefinitely, or until you manually delete it.

If you can't find the setting for that by just poking around on the app settings, if you're using the included stock app the user manual will tell you.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.