Will SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 work with Galaxy Note 2?

RP74

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi there- I bought the Note 2 from Sprint, but did not add on a memory card. I'd like to purchase one now - will the SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 work? I can't seem to find specifics about which devices are compatible on Amazon. As I've been using iPhones for a few years, Androids are somewhat new to me.

Thanks! - Rachel :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen MANY reports from users using newer Samsung phones (Galaxy S3 and Note 2) and SanDisk cards, especially the "Ultra" family. I'm one of such reports. The cards seem to work fine for a couple of months and then BAM! They break. They start unmounting/remounting themselves for no apparent reason, sometimes cannot remount and state that there are no files in the card at all, and in some cases, they're completely fried.

As I understand it, it IS an issue between Samsung and SanDisk cards made before December 2012. So, unless you can confirm the card you're buying was manufactured this year, I'd rather play it safe and get another brand. The ones I've read work best are Samsung's (duh!) and A-Data (they seem to use Samsung-provided parts)

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the Sandisk Ultra 64GB card installed since day 1, and it works just fine, already filled it up half way.

By the way, I recently bought another Sandisk Ultra 64GB micro-SD card at a local Best Buy store. Even though they are selling the card for $99.99 because it wasn't on sale last week, I used my Note 2 phone to go to B&H Photography website to show the cashier that B&H is selling the same memory card for just over $50. I requested the cashier to do a price match, and the cashier had the manager approve the price match and I got the same price as the B&H Photo website! I was so pleased, I bought 2 memory cards for the price match! This is the second time I've requested Best Buy to do a price match, a previous time was for a Creative brand Bluetooth stereo headphone. Best Buy is only willing to do a price match for "legitimate" retailer websites. The funny thing is that the cashier helping me was this young cute girl who never heard of B&H Photography, and she had to ask her male manager to approve the B&H Photography website price match. I jokingly said to the male manager "you being a guy must know of B&H Photo in New York City", and he replied back, "oh yeah, they're legit!" I told the helpful female cashier that all the really large established photography stores are located in New York. I personally have visited B&H Photo in New York City, and they are huge!

Here's the link to current price at B&H Photography for the Sandisk Ultra 64GB micro-SD currently listed for $56.95
Sandisk ultra 64gb micro sd| B&H Photo Video

Apparently, the price of the memory card changes even within a short time, as I had seen this same memory card go for something like $53.83 at B&H Photo just last week when I had requested the price match.

Anyway, that's your tip for the day, always request Best Buy store to do a price match, and you can use the B&H Photography website on your smartphone for a price match reference! :)

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the "sudden death syndrome" applies to other brands of SD cards, or just SanDisk? It may be hard to determine since SanDisk owns such a high market share, but I've been considering replacing my current SanDisk 32 GB card with something else, maybe a PNY 64 GB card - B&H Photo has a wide variety of choices for the $50 price point or thereabouts.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the "sudden death syndrome" applies to other brands of SD cards, or just SanDisk? It may be hard to determine since SanDisk owns such a high market share, but I've been considering replacing my current SanDisk 32 GB card with something else, maybe a PNY 64 GB card - B&H Photo has a wide variety of choices for the $50 price point or thereabouts.

My friend experiencing remount issue with the 32 gb ultra on her note 2. I'm not sure if it Samsung who doing this or SanDisk have a really bad batches with samsung devices

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My friend experiencing remount issue with the 32 gb ultra on her note 2. I'm not sure if it Samsung who doing this or SanDisk have a really bad batches with samsung devices

Many are experiencing issues with the Sandisk 32gb card & the Note 2. Search the forums & threads.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's just SanDisk and it's only cards manufactured before or on December 2012. 32GB models were especially troublesome, but some 64GB cards were also affected.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It's just SanDisk and it's only cards manufactured before or on December 2012. 32GB models were especially troublesome, but some 64GB cards were also affected.
Thanks. Any possibility any other name brands may just be SanDisks OEMed to their nameplate?

kb0uy

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a PNY 32 Gig class 10 that started giving me the same problem last week. So I put a Samsung 32Gig Class 2 in temporally and it works fine until I receive the New Ultra 32gig which is on order.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I feel bad for you guys. I've had and used numerous memory cards as I used to do high end digital photography and have numerous laptops and electronics. I used to literally pay over $500 for a 1GB IBM MicroDrive CF card which have failed on me due to its design as an internal spinning harddrive. But I've never had a solid state CF or SD or micro-SD card fail on me...knock on wood! Only other time something failed on me was a Western Digital external storage drive whereby I lost over 150GB of digital photos, which happened several years ago. To this day, I never buy anything made by Western Digital, piece of f**king sh!t. I'm still pissed about that occurrence even to this day just thinking about it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RP74

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the word of caution. Unfortunately, I didn't see this before purchasing a card (I need to set up my account to send me an e-mail when folks reply to my posts). I did just get it a day or two ago, so maybe I got lucky and it was in a 2013 batch.