Can anyone explain why my battery life isn't as good as everyone elses battery life?

T3mporaryGold

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I have to charge my phone every night, well I don't HAVE to but it would die at pretty early in the morning if I didn't. I heard something about your phone's signal being bad has something to do with it. I pretty much barely get signal in my house (Verizon) and Verizon gave me a network extender but it doesn't really work. I lose about 15% every night. Which isn't horrible, but I lose like 2% seemly every 10-15 minutes. And thats with barely any use (4-6 of those minutes, the device wasn't even awake.). Is this normal? Oh, and I have auto sync on but I kind of want it on, it's only for google related things, and only half of them at that.

Edit: I turn GPS off at night. I feel like it helps but it probably doesn't. My screen brightness is at like 20%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-12-19-05-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-12-19-05-23.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 84

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have to charge my phone every night, well I don't HAVE to but it would die at pretty early in the morning if I didn't. I heard something about your phone's signal being bad has something to do with it. I pretty much barely get signal in my house (Verizon) and Verizon gave me a network extender but it doesn't really work. I lose about 15% every night. Which isn't horrible, but I lose like 2% seemly every 10-15 minutes. And thats with barely any use (4-6 of those minutes, the device wasn't even awake.). Is this normal? Oh, and I have auto sync on but I kind of want it on, it's only for google related things, and only half of them at that.

Edit: I turn GPS off at night. I feel like it helps but it probably doesn't. My screen brightness is at like 20%.

From my experiance, I have found that leaving wifi on drains the battery more than it should. It doesn't make sense, but you should turn it off when screen goes off. I use an app called better wifi on/off which automatically turns wifi off after 10 seconds of screen off and turns it back on when unlocked.

I also think your signal strengh is causing more drain that it should be. So you should do what I do and switch to 2G when at home or wherever you are right now. When wifi gets turned off when screen is off, 2G should be efficient in letting you recieve emails/whatsapp/facebook etc.

Also should get an app called automate it pro, which will allow you to make automatic commands. I have my one dim the screen, turn off sync, turn off the radio at a certain time at night meaning the battery only drops 1 percent or 2 overnight as opposed to around 10-15%.

Also, if you dont need them, turn off google now, and go into maps and turn off the location settings. You can use the GPS whenever you need maps, but the wifi location searching seems to be more detrimental to battery.

Check your apps and try to make sure they're not updating too frequently. Also check your "sync" section in the settings and disable all you don't need and perhaps put a less frequent update interval for the ones you do need.

Finally, you can install an app called betterbatterystats and leave it to run overnight, and then check out the "partial wakelock" section to see which apps are causing your phone to constantly wake up and then try eliminate them.

Hope this helps.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I also found mind was signal strength related too :( otherwise phone was working as it was supposed to... just struggling to get that signal.. lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do bear in mind that Samsung's update to 4.1.2 and Exynos patch screwed up battery life, so you won't see the stellar battery time you probably read about when the phone came out (mine went from 8 hours screen-on time to around 6). Anyway, your signal will severely impact your battery life but I can't help but notice you have a lot of 'awake bursts'... what's waking your device so often? Also, Google Now, GPS, and most location-aware apps are battery hungry.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

My battery life isnt nearly that bad and I leave brightness at 50%, gps off except in use, bluetooth off except in use and wifi is on constantly. Go to settings, wifi, tap the menu key and go into advanced. Here are the options for turning wifi off while asleep and other particular settings. I have mine set to only stay on while charging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
From my experiance, I have found that leaving wifi on drains the battery more than it should. It doesn't make sense, but you should turn it off when screen goes off. I use an app called better wifi on/off which automatically turns wifi off after 10 seconds of screen off and turns it back on when unlocked.
Are you aware there's a setting to do that under Advanced in the wifi settings menu? No app needed. Look for "Keep wifi on during sleep".

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you aware there's a setting to do that under Advanced in the wifi settings menu? No app needed. Look for "Keep wifi on during sleep".

Yeah but the app keeps it on if it has a certain level of traffic.. Therefore not cutting off if you're listening to radio, etc. It also has a few other useful options.