Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo Battery issues. Battery draining in few hours of standby and phone dying at 40%-50%, tried multiple new batteries.

darkevin

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Hello there. Like the title says, i already tried like 3 different brand new batteries, including an original Samsung one.
I read something about calibrating the battery, is that something i should try? Although the guides say to let the battery run down to 5%, which I can't do, because it already dies around half of the capacity, lol. right now it says 53% but won't even turn on without the charger.
I already tried clearing that cache in the safe mode, doesn't seem to have helped.

This is a used phone that I bought to replace my Galaxy S4 (which never had battery issues after replacing it once). No important data on it to lose, so data loss/factory reset wouldn't be a problem.

Any tips?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think it has more to do with the fact that the phone is extremely old, and therefore any replacement batteries that are still available are most likely also really old. Even if they've never been used, batteries can still degrade over time sitting on a shelf. I don't think there's any trick for making these batteries work better.

darkevin

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think it has more to do with the fact that the phone is extremely old, and therefore any replacement batteries that are still available are most likely also really old. Even if they've never been used, batteries can still degrade over time sitting on a shelf. I don't think there's any trick for making these batteries work better.
Good point, but the ones I bought from amazon are off brand, made to work with these phones. Isn't it safe to assume that they were made more recently than the original Samsung batteries? Since they're specifically for replacing old ones.
And I also didn't have issues with the replacement battery for my S4, which is even older 🤔

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Good point, but the ones I bought from amazon are off brand, made to work with these phones. Isn't it safe to assume that they were made more recently than the original Samsung batteries? Since they're specifically for replacing old ones.
And I also didn't have issues with the replacement battery for my S4, which is even older
Nothing is safe to assume with off brand phone batteries, they're a total lucky dip.

darkevin

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Nothing is safe to assume with off brand phone batteries, they're a total lucky dip.
But I bought like 3 and the problem seems to be exactly the same, so I think it's the phone.
Actually here is something i can do: My brother happens to have the same S5 and he doesn't seem to have this issue. I can give him my batteries to test and see what his experience is. Then I'll come back with the findings.

But if anyone has ideas in the meantime, it would be appreciated.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But I bought like 3 and the problem seems to be exactly the same, so I think it's the phone.
Actually here is something i can do: My brother happens to have the same S5 and he doesn't seem to have this issue. I can give him my batteries to test and see what his experience is. Then I'll come back with the findings.

But if anyone has ideas in the meantime, it would be appreciated.
You could try basic stuff like cleaning the contacts and factory resetting,but to me a decade old device is in the "not worth fixing" category.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And I also didn't have issues with the replacement battery for my S4, which is even older 🤔
Look carefully at the batteries and see if there's a date of manufacture printed anywhere on them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's only worth anything on a verifiable original battery, it has been shown that they are generally faked on remanufactured or third party batteries
Yeah, that's true -- but on the off chance if they were actually truthful and there was in fact a date of manufacture back in the 2010s, that would seal the deal. I've seen plenty of vids by SMOOREZ on YouTube where he reviews a terrible knockoff phone that lies about its specs in the software, but when he tears it down, what's printed on the hardware itself gives the real specs. Hopefully it might be the same for these batteries!

Reactions: J Dubbs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello there. Like the title says, i already tried like 3 different brand new batteries, including an original Samsung one.
I read something about calibrating the battery, is that something i should try? Although the guides say to let the battery run down to 5%, which I can't do, because it already dies around half of the capacity, lol. right now it says 53% but won't even turn on without the charger.
I already tried clearing that cache in the safe mode, doesn't seem to have helped.

This is a used phone that I bought to replace my Galaxy S4 (which never had battery issues after replacing it once). No important data on it to lose, so data loss/factory reset wouldn't be a problem.

Any tips?
Best tip I could give you is find something a little more newer, this device is way too old operating system/specs , get a Android 10 device minimum at least.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter