What are the benefits of lockscreen apps?

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
There's actually an option in Widget Locker to negate that. You have to set the home option so that it knows what to do when you press the home button.

I've only paid for a few apps since becoming an android user and feel that if I'm going to pay $3 for an app of this type it better be flawless. ok maybe not flawless , but darn close to it. I feel that $3 is a little expensive for an app like this.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've only paid for a few apps since becoming an android user and feel that if I'm going to pay $3 for an app of this type it better be flawless. ok maybe not flawless , but darn close to it. I feel that $3 is a little expensive for an app like this.

What do you mean flawless? While people have their own price points for what they purchase, I don't want other users getting the wrong idea. There is no bug with the home button. Only a setting that needs to be set.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean flawless? While people have their own price points for what they purchase, I don't want other users getting the wrong idea. There is no bug with the home button. Only a setting that needs to be set.

Ok, I should have refrained from using the word flawless. But it does have to be pretty darn good to warrant the price tag. Over the last six months or more the only thing that I've come across that is actually flawless is my note2. I'm sure there are plenty of people that that would have to agree.

Sent thru cyberspace by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What about security? Ever forget your phone anywhere? Have a friend walk by and pick it up off the table?

I haven't lost my phone, but I really don't want any of my data in the hands of someone else. With what smartphones now hold in terms of data, they are a gold mine for thieves.

No, I've never forgot my phone anywhere, and I've never had a friend or anyone else walk by and pick it up off the table. I don't roll like that with my phone. And I have had one since it didn't even have a phone, i.e., the BB 950 back in 2001.

As I said, I know why some people use lockscreens -- obviously, security *cough*paranoia*cough* -- but that's not a concern for me for a number of reasons, one of which I mentioned above.

For me, it's vastly more convenient to go through life without a lockscreen.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No, I've never forgot my phone anywhere, and I've never had a friend or anyone else walk by and pick it up off the table. I don't roll like that with my phone. And I have had one since it didn't even have a phone, i.e., the BB 950 back in 2001.

As I said, I know why some people use lockscreens -- obviously, security *cough*paranoia*cough* -- but that's not a concern for me for a number of reasons, one of which I mentioned above.

For me, it's vastly more convenient to go through life without a lockscreen.

I'm guessing you leave your house door unlocked and open? Car doors unlocked and open with the key in the ignition?

No? Than let's not be hypocritical with the paranoia comment.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing you leave your house door unlocked and open? Car doors unlocked and open with the key in the ignition?

No? Than let's not be hypocritical with the paranoia comment.

I leave my house and car doors unlocked...but I don't leave the key in the ignition xD

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I should have refrained from using the word flawless. But it does have to be pretty darn good to warrant the price tag. Over the last six months or more the only thing that I've come across that is actually flawless is my note2. I'm sure there are plenty of people that that would have to agree.

I downloaded the lockscreen widget app after reading about using posts from here. Its a let down, I actually am not using it anymore. Ill wait for daydream with our next update. Really I just would like rss or something like that to display stuff from fav websites such as gizmodo or AC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the lockscreen widget app after reading about using posts from here. Its a let down, I actually am not using it anymore. Ill wait for daydream with our next update. Really I just would like rss or something like that to display stuff from fav websites such as gizmodo or AC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I downloaded widget locker after reading some of the posts on this thread and can say that it is a letdown too. Afterwards I went in and played more with my phone settings and realized everything I needed was right there after all. Widget Locker added nothing to my phone to justify the price I paid for it.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Widget Locket allows you to add widgets to the lockscreen. Unless you root and install a custom ROM, the Note 2 currently does not support this feature.

The people who buy, and use, Widget Locker are looking to add widgets to the lockscreen.

Widget Locker will always have its use because old phones won't support Android 4.2, and it will be a while before the Note 2 gets 4.2. That is, if we get 4.2 for the Note 2.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Widget Locket allows you to add widgets to the lockscreen. Unless you root and install a custom ROM, the Note 2 currently does not support this feature.

The people who buy, and use, Widget Locker are looking to add widgets to the lockscreen.

Widget Locker will always have its use because old phones won't support Android 4.2, and it will be a while before the Note 2 gets 4.2. That is, if we get 4.2 for the Note 2.

$4 just to add a widget to your N2 lockscreen?

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
$4 just to add a widget to your N2 lockscreen?

Have you ever programmed software?

If yes, you should be able to appreciate the amount of work that is required not only to create an application, but support it. Develop doesn't stop with the first version. Bugs are fixed, new features are added, new OS's are supported, etc.

If no, read above for the reasons why.

I always found it odd that the Apple App Store was so filled with $0.99 applications. Most of the applications are way under-priced, but the culture was created were users started ignoring anything higher.

It's rare, compared to the Apple App Store, to find $0.99 applications in the Play Store. I find Android developers are more responsive to bugs and requests because they aren't focused on spitting out a ton of $0.99 applications. They are focused on the few properly priced applications they make. Of course that's a generalization, but that's been my experiences.

Also, it's only $3, not $4 and I find that to be well priced for this application. This isn't just an add-on that goes on your lockscreen. WidgetLocker is lockscreen that the developer created.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever programmed software?

Also, it's only $3, not $4 and I find that to be well priced for this application. This isn't just an add-on that goes on your lockscreen. WidgetLocker is lockscreen that the developer created.

yes you are correct it was $2.99 not $3.99 as I stated. It may be worth it for other phones but IMO and speaking as a N2 owner it does not provide enough to justify the price.