Question What on earth is going on with these app updates???

groston

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
I am certain that I have my phone configured such that updates never happen automatically. Further, I have disabled (as best I could) system updates. However, using MyPhoneExplorer (a great app), I clicked the the Files->Applications link and it indicates that both Android System Webview and Google Play Store updated yesterday well after I went to sleep.

How on earth can this be happening? has google become so effing obnoxious that they ignore what the users are telling them to not do?

groston

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Those apps will update automatically, because they're crucial to the system. The app updates you can control are the ones you chose to install, as well as basic non-system apps.
The code works, therefor claiming that the update is crucial is nonsense... I really wonder how much personal data google is harvesting and what they intend to do with it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The code works, therefor claiming that the update is crucial is nonsense... I really wonder how much personal data google is harvesting and what they intend to do with it.
Why don't you send feedback to Google if you think it's nonsense? You can do so from within the system settings.

Google is very transparent about what they do with your data: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US. If you choose not to believe it, then I'm guessing you won't believe any privacy policy that any company posts, so there's probably not much point in belaboring the issue.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The code works, therefor claiming that the update is crucial is nonsense...

There are 3 Google apps which will automatically update: Play Services, Play Store and Android System Webview.

You can't prevent the auto updates but if they cause you so much offence you can always disable the apps.

Trust me, though, you won't like the result.

Reactions: B. Diddy