Suddenly slow charge, fast drain, still on version 4.1.1

bluescrubby

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy Note 2 via Docomo in Japan, android version 4.1.1, plugged into wall and recognized as wall charging.

I rebooted the machine, used task killer to kill everything it was able to, and left it overnight. Went from 66% to 96%. Yesterday a night charge took me from 13% to 40-something, and I had to leave it plugged in all day just to get to 66%

Checked email and facebook in the morning. WHILE PLUGGED IN, 20 minutes of use took me from 96% to 93%.

What the heck...? Any ideas?

MercuryStar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the Samsung 2A charger? This is the one that normally comes with the phone. It should say 2A somewhere on it (eg. "5V 2.0A" or something). 2A chargers from other brands may not suffice. Without this you'll recharge something like 2 or 3 times more slowly (a standard charger outputs 0.5A, though current used varies while charging so it's not quite 4 times the speed of a standard charger).

That said, the phone shouldn't be using more current than even a 0.5A charger can supply, unless it's doing something quite CPU-intensive. Were you playing a 3D game or using GPS during that 20 minutes?

julianeiff

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've got a similar problem. Bought my Note 2 back in March - think it was already on 4.1.2 when I got it - it certainly is now. Worked just fine until about 3 weeks ago (usually left WiFi and BT on while at home, where I work most of the time. Would giver me a couple of days use). Suddenly battery usage went through the roof - struggles to last a day - and charging times also through the roof. Got steadily worse and now just can't use it.
I've read thousands of posts, turned off WiFi and BT, removed several apps I don't use any more, rebooting all the time, eventually did a factory reset.
Now everything is turned off (location and sync services, WiFi, BT, 3G) and it still loses charge even when plugged in !
If I turn the device right off and have the charger in, the battery is the same % next time I look - even the next day.
I only ever charge using the plug and cable that came with it.

I've seen posts suggesting the charger might be at fault, or the USB socket on the Note. Think I'm going to have to send back for a warranty repair.

Good luck with yours...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've got a similar problem. Bought my Note 2 back in March - think it was already on 4.1.2 when I got it - it certainly is now. Worked just fine until about 3 weeks ago (usually left WiFi and BT on while at home, where I work most of the time. Would giver me a couple of days use). Suddenly battery usage went through the roof - struggles to last a day - and charging times also through the roof. Got steadily worse and now just can't use it.
I've read thousands of posts, turned off WiFi and BT, removed several apps I don't use any more, rebooting all the time, eventually did a factory reset.
Now everything is turned off (location and sync services, WiFi, BT, 3G) and it still loses charge even when plugged in !
If I turn the device right off and have the charger in, the battery is the same % next time I look - even the next day.
I only ever charge using the plug and cable that came with it.

I've seen posts suggesting the charger might be at fault, or the USB socket on the Note. Think I'm going to have to send back for a warranty repair.

Good luck with yours...

Try a new charger and usb cable first

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

xian tao

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I started to have the same problem with Note 2 T-mobile two days ago. After a night of charge, it was only 70%, and battery drains faster than being charged when the phone is used with being plugged in AC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non