Galaxy Note II - the forgotten flagship...

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, it costs Samsung money to release these updates. How long should they push OS version changes out? 1 year. 2 years. 3 years? You only paid for the phone to work as is. OS version updates are really important its best to get a Nexus device. I have a Note 3 and I have no right to expect that they're going to update to 4.4 or whatever else Google releases in the year.

Note 8.0 LTE

I'm sorry you didn't understand my post. Samsung was about to release 4.2 when they decided hold off the release so that note3 and s4 will have time to shine.

I'm just irked that I'm not getting the update that they already built because they want the note3 and s4 to sell more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you didn't understand my post. Samsung was about to release 4.2 when they decided hold off the release so that note3 and s4 will have time to shine.

I'm just irked that I'm not getting the update that they already built because they want the note3 and s4 to sell more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Oh yeah!!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I still wake each day foolishly expecting to see that 'updates available' notification. Alas, Samsung appear to enjoy watching us suffer.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I still wake each day foolishly expecting to see that 'updates available' notification. Alas, Samsung appear to enjoy watching us suffer.

yup. it was like chasing that girl in high school for months. you finally get her, then bam, she ignores you. that was the Note 2 experience for me. i switched to the S4 Active (see my goodbye post to the Note 2 forum). The S4 may not be as hot as the Note 2, but I'm getting a lot of attention (updates, solid aftermarket products - i mean cases, mounts, gadgets galore, etc.). It's clear the S4 is getting samsung's attention (and money).

will_solo

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
yup. it was like chasing that girl in high school for months. you finally get her, then bam, she ignores you. that was the Note 2 experience for me. i switched to the S4 Active (see my goodbye post to the Note 2 forum). The S4 may not be as hot as the Note 2, but I'm getting a lot of attention (updates, solid aftermarket products - i mean cases, mounts, gadgets galore, etc.). It's clear the S4 is getting samsung's attention (and money).

This happens whenever the latest and greatest comes out. I think it's inevitable, especially considering how quickly tech is moving nowadays. If it moved at a slower pace, I'm sure our phones would see more updates.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
This happens whenever the latest and greatest comes out. I think it's inevitable, especially considering how quickly tech is moving nowadays. If it moved at a slower pace, I'm sure our phones would see more updates.

Not strictly true in Samsung's case is it? At one point, the Note II WAS the latest and greatest, but it never saw any attention in terms of software updates.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
At least we have 4.3 on our beloved note 2!

(Insert frustration and sarcasm here)
Ooh yeah I almost forgot we don't have that do we.......Sigh

The 4.3 upgrade for the Note II is slated for late December 2013.

The 4.2 upgrade was scrapped in August (or at least that's when the decision was made) because it became clear, back then, that 4.3 would be out so soon that there was no point in putting everyone through a 4.2 upgrade (plus, as another poster, here, wrote, AT&T likely wanted S4's and the Note III to shine this fall being the only phones on which one could get 4.3... at least 'til after Christmas).

The current version is:

Samsung Galaxy Note II (SGH-i317) (AT&T)​
Android OS 4.1.2 Jelly Bean​
Baseband version I317UCAMH3​
Kernel version 3.031-1363381​
se.infra@R0210-04 #1​
SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 20 10:32:09 KST 2013​
Build number JZ054K.I317UCAMH3​

...and I believe it will stay that way, now, until the December 4.3 upgrade.

Last edited:

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, it costs Samsung money to release these updates. How long should they push OS version changes out? 1 year. 2 years. 3 years? You only paid for the phone to work as is. OS version updates are really important its best to get a Nexus device. I have a Note 3 and I have no right to expect that they're going to update to 4.4 or whatever else Google releases in the year.

I'm sorry, but that may very well be the biggest bunch of hokum I've ever read around here. You've playing right into the whole planned obsolescence manipulation by hardware (and even software) makers. I don't know your age, but I'll bet you're young; and that's the problem with being young: The young weren't around when certain stuff happened, and so they don't know why it did.

Any business school grad will attest that corporations needs a certain rate of growth every year just to survive; then a bit more to actually be profitable. When any new market is not-yet-fully-penetrated, device makers can meet grown expectations even selling devices that last a long time because everyone's adopting them... buying them. However, once the market is penetrated, and everyone has one of whatever is the device, then there are no new adopters, and so you the device makers have to figure out a way to make people buy...

...and with high-tech devices, that way has always been to convince the public that devices are stale, and out-of-vogue, and need to be replace far more frequently than they really need to be. The trend, now, is to make phones seem old and long-in-the-tooth before the two-year contract with the carrier has even expired; that's part of the reason why AT&T prices things so that the phone's manufacturer's suggested retail price is fully paid (between what the customer paid in cash for it at the beginning, and then whatever portion of the monthly service fees are allocated to hardware debt retirement) by around the 18th month, give or take, of the 24 month contract. AT&T's whole paradigm, in fact, is to upgrade the user to a whole new phone and 24-month contract sometime between the 18th and 24th month of the old 24-month contract!

Because of that, both phone makers and carriers pretty much abandon support for devices before most users' two year contracts are up; and if the phone is already last year's model by the time the customer signs it to a new two-year contract, then it's entirely possible that NO updates will occur during the life of said contract; and, worse, some app makers will begin dropping support for its OS level. That, in my opinion, is criminal; and I'd like to (only figuratively, of course) drag the AT&T and Samsung execs who colluded to create such a manipulative and keep-the-customer-paying paradigm behind a '72 Dodge pickup!

The standards and expectations were long ago set by Windows, iOS and even Linux. At dead minimum, the device should be updated for two (2) years after the very last new one was sold by a carrier on a two-year contract... and that's just at minimum. Personally, I think all devices should be supported with updates and patches and whatnot for at least one year longer than that, even... for a total, then, of three years after the very last new one was signed onto a two-year contract.

Of course, if phone makers had the same sensibilities as PC makers, then support for a given OS version would go on for about a decade... and that's actually as it should be.

So, please don't sing to us the manufacturer's manipulative tune, here. There's no reason in the world why phones couldn't last easily three to five years for most users.

That said, because phones tend to have the dead minimum amount of hardware needed to support the collective body of typical apps out there, it's very easy for apps to exceed the capabilities of a phone; for the phone to begin to slow-down and not well handle its apps because as the phone has been aging, the apps installed on it, and updated however often, have been getting bigger and requiring faster processors and more RAM in order to operate as quickly and efficiently as they first did; and that, of course, is because app makers keep making their apps to run on the latest and greatest hardware...

...which is, in effect, yet more of the keep-the-customer-paying paradigm. The app makers just play right into it, just like you're doing, here.

And the end-user pays the price -- literally -- for all that put-money-into-the-pockets-of-corporations, planned/contrived obsolescence lunacy.

If GE, Whirlpool and other kitchen appliance makers had adopted such a paradigm, everyone would be replacing their refrigerators every couple of years instead of every 10 or 20 or even 30 years. If the makers of roofing shingles adopted such a paradigm, our houses would need a new roof every five or so years instead of every 35 or so years. Is that really the kind of world in which you want to live?

Stop being a lemming. Don't run-off the carriers' and device makers' cliff just because they've set things up that way. Demand more of them. Let them know that they need to build the quality into the device to make it last for a MINIMUM of three years (even up to five, truth be known); and that it needs to be SUPPORTED WITH UPDATES for the duration of it!

Desktop, notebook, netbook, laptop and tablet computers, too.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
December? Has this been verified? I've not read this anywhere.

I read it a couple or three weeks ago, but I'm having trouble remembering where. But when I just Googled it, I found this article, obviously written by someone who also read it around when I did. Note the update to the tweets at the bottom.

I'll try to find the original place where I read it, though.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I read today that the Galaxy Gear will be compatible with the Note II and a couple other Samsung mobiles and this will be via the 4.3 update for said devices by end of THIS month. Anyone else read it that way!?

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
engadget | Publisted 23 October 2013
Galaxy Gear compatibility comes to the Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2 and more

cnet | Published 23 October 2013
Samsung Galaxy Gear to support Galaxy S4, S3, and more
Samsung will bring Galaxy Gear support to a host of other devices beyond the Galaxy Note 3

Courtesy of the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, the Galaxy S4, S3, and Note 2 will be compatible with the Galaxy Gear smartwatch, Samsung said Tuesday.

Samsung already has started rolling out Android 4.3 for the international version of the Galaxy S4, with more models to follow. The latest Jelly Bean update is also being prepped for the S3 and Note 2.

A spokesperson for Samsung UK told CNET that Android 4.3 Jelly Bean "will be available across a range of Galaxy devices from mid-November, subject to software testing and approvals by individual networks."

As I read the various articles, it seems the Note II will be getting 4.3 last; beginning closer to the end of December than to its beginning.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As I read the various articles, it seems the Note II will be getting 4.3 last; beginning closer to the end of December than to its beginning.

Not quite sure how you deduced December and Note II last, least not from the article quoted. Basically the article reads as though we'll see 4.3 mid November.

watalee

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Note 2 is good enough for me, I do not want to pay so much money on it to get a 1080p screen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo