Androuid 4.3 and FOXFI

rcolman

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I live and die by my FOXFI wireless connection, and do not want to do anything to jeopardize it.

Has anyone installed the 4.3 system update, and run it with FOXFI. Does it still work?

Please advise if you can.

TNX.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I live and die by my FOXFI wireless connection, and do not want to do anything to jeopardize it.

Has anyone installed the 4.3 system update, and run it with FOXFI. Does it still work?

Please advise if you can.

TNX.

Most of the carriers have hamstrung FoxFi starting with 4.1. With that OS, there have been workarounds, but since 4.2, FoxFi using hotspot loopholes, to my knowledge, have been closed.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Which carrier do you have? With Verizon, you should be able to use the stock hotspot app activated by third party widget. Works on my note 3 which has 4.3.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am with Verizon. I assume the stock hotspot app requires additional fees which are avoided by FOXFI ???

The loophole I mentioned above bypasses the subscription requirement. Note that you may get an error message screen telling you that you need a subscription. If you see this screen, just press the home button. Then go to the hotspot app and configure it to your liking. AFAIK, should work on the s3,s4,n2,n3, and maybe others.

I posted it on the note 3 forum here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=322622

Note 3 runs 4.3 stock

rcolman

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I get to the call to subscribe screen, and just go home. However, I do not see an active hotspot app running on my note 2. perhaps they fixed the loophole already ???

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I get to the call to subscribe screen, and just go home. However, I do not see an active hotspot app running on my note 2. perhaps they fixed the loophole already ???

Just tried it on my note 3 and it still works. Did you press cancel or any other option on the screen?

RGarridy86

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just tried it on my note 3 and it still works. Did you press cancel or any other option on the screen?

Did not press cancel but where is the hotspot in notification bar? Its not there. How do i put it there?

RGarridy86

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Did not press cancel but where is the hotspot in notification bar? Its not there. How do i put it there?

Nevermind, working again after trying this from FoxFi google description...

"*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate."

Billyknit

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind, working again after trying this from FoxFi google description...

"*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate."

I tried the above, and does not work on my stock AT&T Note 2, just updated to 4.3. Anyone else have 4.3 AT&T Note 2 where their FoxFI is working?

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Only suggestion I can make is to root.

[The following steps till end brace may not be necessary.

Install apn backup and restore
Install titanium backup
Set apn bnr as system app
Open apn bnr
Dismiss warning
Disable ics check in menu
Press back, NOT HOME
Open
Backup apns
Delete apns NOT BACKUP
Go to system and program in your apn again.

This deleates any hidden apns that may not allow teathering, I know it was a requirement on tmobile note ii for a long time]

Install wifi teather.
Set it up as softap master and choose your device or similar device.

Run.

Jedi roms should come ready out of the box to support wifi teather.
You will gain root with their install.

Touch wiz based. But still 4.1.2

But if u need to teather...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Larry Kirby

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Updated to 4.3 on VZW Galaxy s3....lost Foxfi Wifi. I am using bluetooth tethering right now on my HP laptop running Win 7. My iPad won't connect to the bluetooth. I am not rooted.Maybe that's the next step.

unlimdata

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I was using Portable Wifi Hotspot which stopped working with 4.3 update. I installed FoxFi and that is working. Perhaps FoxFi is working because I did not have it installed before update. I would prefer Portable Wifi Hotspot app so I am looking forward to finding work-around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez