Is it just me or....?

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
After every major OS upgrade, within a few days I like to factory reset my phone and start fresh, no backups just reinstall everything.

It gets rid of junk files and apps I don't use and feels less buggy. Battery life seems better too!

Is this beneficial in any way or am I just satisfying my OCD? (Figure of speech of course, I don't have OCD)

Btw: When I say no backups, I mean I reinstall everything as opposed to Smart Switch or similar options. I do of course backup my pictures, videos, and other files before wiping the device.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After every major OS upgrade, within a few days I like to factory reset my phone and start fresh, no backups just reinstall everything.

It gets rid of junk files and apps I don't use and feels less buggy. Battery life seems better too!

Is this beneficial in any way or am I just satisfying my OCD? (Figure of speech of course, I don't have OCD)

Btw: When I say no backups, I mean I reinstall everything as opposed to Smart Switch or similar options. I do of course backup my pictures, videos, and other files before wiping the device.

Ah OCD. Im not saying youre OCD ... But sometimes being OCD is good and bad. The good is it satisfies ourselves. The bad is its too much work and its wierd for people without OCD.

I used to be like you. But worse. A format once a month. Re-download all the apps and stuff. A lot of work but at that time im happy. Thats the most important thing.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset is rarely necessary (it's been years since I've done one). On the other hand, if you don't mind the extra work, there's certainly no harm in it. Some people even consider it an enjoyable chore, just as some like to knit mittens or bake bread.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset is rarely necessary (it's been years since I've done one). On the other hand, if you don't mind the extra work, there's certainly no harm in it. Some people even consider it an enjoyable chore, just as some like to knit mittens or bake bread.

Lol!

I don't mind the work.. It's a fairly quick process for me since I keep a tidy device anyway.

I only do it when they release the next full version of Android..

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
In the past with all my Androids like Nexus 4, LG G2, G3 I would always wipe my phone and rebuild after an OS update. I think that was more common practice because OS updates where not as stable. With my Note 8, that was my first phone where I skipped my normal routine after it's first OS update and ran it all year until after the 2nd OS update was released and then I think I experienced issues that made me decide to erase and rebuild it. Such a pain to rebuild you phones on Android.

It really comes down to how the phone "feels" after the update. If you are not experiencing any crashes or bugs that can't be fixed with a setting change or re-install of the app. Or not feeling any performance issues.

With my N20U I was hoping to do the same with my N8 and the phone was running great after 11 update but then I had a bug that wouldn't go away and worse it's the type that shows a useless pop up and shows itself in multiple apps and along with a couple of more annoyances and noticing some settings that have changed after the update I just said the heck with it and erased it. I found the culprit to my main bug (Lockwise causing a "null" message pop-up to appear in various screens) so I'm glad to find out it wasn't a "system" issue but 3+ days after my wipe I'm still finding settings to put back the way it was before the wipe. Android restores are the worse.

If I was patient, I could have maybe lived with the message pop up and wait for the app I didn't know causing the issue to update and go away. And the other glitches I had I could have tried uninstalling and reinstall to fix see if that would fix their quirks and think I would have been just fine not wiping. But it is tough running a phone after an update with a message that pop ups every time you use it and have to see it and not know what it is... but new OS updates will break a few apps and do have to endure waiting for updates to fix them. (That "null" pop up... was like seeing a tilted painting on the wall you couldn't reach to fix for me though) :-\

But like Hermes said, The good is it satisfies ourselves if it feels like it runs better after the rebuild and if you had any bugs they were gone after the wipe or you were able to find the culprit that caused it. The bad is its too much work.

That's a big reason I love iOS and my iPad Pro... for me iOS updates have been rock solid and can't recall the last time I "had to" erase and restore because of a bug on their end. Usually when I erase and restore, it was a user error and am trying to recover the data I erased/lost... but if needed to do one... go to settings, erase devices, reboot, go through setup adding your iclouds account back in, choose to restore a cloud backup and choose the date of the backup and within the hour the entire device is restored down to the tabs in your browsers you had opened last time, all passwords still stored for those sites or apps you have installed... down to about every last setting you had for each app to the last notification setting. Oh man if they could do that with Android.

What a frickin pain trying to remember and set up my McDonald's app password when I'm driving up to the drive-through or the password to my Dunkin' Doughuts app to get my morning doughnut!! :eek:

Last edited:

Medevac1

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I found that clearing the partition cache is as effective as the nuclear option of a factory reset in shaking loose the bugs that may come with OS and security updates. I also perform routine maintenance like doing a weekly soft reset, utilizing device care, and periodically clearing my browser's history, cache, cookies and data to keep my devices running nice and smooth as the day I unboxed them.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I found that clearing the partition cache is as effective as the nuclear option of a factory reset in shaking loose the bugs that may come with OS and security updates. I also perform routine maintenance like doing a weekly soft reset, utilizing device care, and periodically clearing my browser's history, cache, cookies and data to keep my devices running nice and smooth as the day I unboxed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3p7w7SQ1PM

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

A cache partition wipe will fix a lot of things, but unfortunately not everything :( OS upgrades used to be more of a hit or miss affair for me, especially on certain brands of devices (I'm looking at you Moto), so I usually just factory reset rather than fight all the issues and end up resetting anyway. But I purposely keep my devices barebones and all stock, so a factory reset is super simple. I have found though that now that I'm using pixels I no longer fear the OS or security patch updates. I've never had to factory reset a pixel yet (knock on wood).

One drawback to newer phones is with the a/b partition seamless updates setup, they've taken away the cache partition wipe option, which was an extremely handy tool. On the upside I've never needed it on my pixel ;) But I did need it on my wife's Moto G6 to fix a major Google Assistant problem... and I'm glad it still had the option.

I think factory resets are becoming less necessary than they used to be overall..... but I'm still going to keep my phone ready just in case ;)

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
They do run much smoother. I just thought it was me thinking this. I do wipe my cache from time to time as well as clean out my web searches which does help.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Used to couple years back but not anymore. It is toooo much work to start over especially with work profile running on my phone. Besides, things is much different now than couple or 3 OS generations ago. Don't think it is needed anymore and is the exception vs the norm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty