How to view all files?

AlReve

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to Android, please forgive me this silly question.
How can I view all files? I don't mean just music or video files, etc., but also the software files (even if un-editable).

I tried file manager apps, they only show the music, video, etc. folders.

I tried plugging the device into a computer. I saw a list of (apparently?) empty folders such as:
./com.adups.fota/files
./com.adups.fota
./com.google.android.apps.navlite/files
./com.google.android.apps.navlite
./com.android.vending/files
./com.android.vending
./com.google.android.gms/files
./com.google.android.gms
./com.google.android.apps.nbu.files/files
./com.google.android.apps.nbu.files

I tried "Solid explorer file manager" and saw 179 "apps", much more than the apps I see when I slide my finger up from the bottom of the screen.
Among others, there is a folder called "SystemUI", 21 MB.
The path is indicated (/product/priv-app/SystemUI/SystemUI.apk, in case you're interested) but I can't explore the parent folder from there.
If I wanted to see what else there is in /product/priv-app, I would have to open all the apps one by one to see where they are located...

BTW (and probably even more silly), is "app" just another word for "program"?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Due to increasing security as Android versions advance, protected system directories (which can include those for 3rd party app files) have become less accessible. You can try Total Commander, which can at least see a lot of those directories (but you probably still can't manipulate those files)

And yes, "app" (short for application) is a program typically written for a mobile device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter