Note 20 Ultra Battery and Phone failure

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone here experienced the N20U battery overheating and causing the casing to the phone to literally open up around the seams?

I'm on a roadtrip across the states and my phone has failed. 😥

(My phone was in pristine condition before this happened)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, sorry to hear about this! Were you using the phone as GPS on a car mount? That can make it easier for the phone to overheat, since the combination of the phone heating up from more intensive CPU usage (i.e., navigation) and the heat from the direct sunlight through the front windshield can really ramp the phone's temp up.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Was in air-conditioned car not in the sun. Ran GPS on the car navigation system actually.
The week before I had noticed the phone heating up and not wanting to charge. I tried closing out every app, clearing cache, recover apps, basically you name it. Running no sync, power saving and everything to slow it down to help. (I left nothing unnoticed to turn off).

Got on road trip, made a call or a text and phone literally split. Battery swelled and phone very obviously not waterproof anymore. (Insert crying and tears here).

Figured out it was the camera app yesterday that caused yesterday's heat up but was not the issue on the road nor at home before travel.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the battery may just have failed on its own. Unfortunately, warranty usually doesn't cover battery, but it's still worth asking Samsung about it.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
From what we gather on the telephone from Sprint and Samsung, it's a mechanical breakdown. We just don't know what.

Here's my latest issue. I have paid right under $20 per month for insurance on the phone to cover everything. Sprint can't fix it, Samsung said my warranty expired in October and I'm 1 month over and the insurance through my carrier STOPPED covering mechanical breakdown but will still replace the glass or if it's lost or stolen. That went into effect November 1st. Samsung stated since I had other insurance I'm not eligible to take my phone to a repair center nor return it to them for repair. Sprint was going to cover my costs at the repair center that Samsung sent me to.

I'm at a loss and my phone is still being paid for. I cannot return the unit for an upgrade since I'll have to pay Sprint for a phone in bad condition.

Any ideas at welcomed at this point on how to fix it...

jagrlover

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From what we gather on the telephone from Sprint and Samsung, it's a mechanical breakdown. We just don't know what.

Here's my latest issue. I have paid right under $20 per month for insurance on the phone to cover everything. Sprint can't fix it, Samsung said my warranty expired in October and I'm 1 month over and the insurance through my carrier STOPPED covering mechanical breakdown but will still replace the glass or if it's lost or stolen. That went into effect November 1st. Samsung stated since I had other insurance I'm not eligible to take my phone to a repair center nor return it to them for repair. Sprint was going to cover my costs at the repair center that Samsung sent me to.

I'm at a loss and my phone is still being paid for. I cannot return the unit for an upgrade since I'll have to pay Sprint for a phone in bad condition.

Any ideas at welcomed at this point on how to fix it...

Sounds like you have to "lose" it then😂

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Battery was already swelling when you had issues, just doesn't split the phone until there's enough pressure, be glad it didn't break the screen.

Personally haven't seen this on a Note 20 but happened to all brands we had on display at Verizon a few years back.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Battery was already swelling when you had issues, just doesn't split the phone until there's enough pressure, be glad it didn't break the screen.

Personally haven't seen this on a Note 20 but happened to all brands we had on display at Verizon a few years back.

Yes, I'm truly thankful for the screen not cracking. At least it vented by separating the front and back of the phone. My carrier is worried about it catching fire at this point and told me how to use it before it gets repaired. I'm not taking that chance.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
My wife's S7 edge battery bloated and threw the back out ...but here phone was 3 years old by then....gave it to samsung for repairs for new battery....Note 20 U is just 1 year plus now

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had some heating issues with my Note 20 Ultra but this scares me to use the phone while it is hot!!

Welcome to Android Central! Warmth is generally fine, but if it's becoming uncomfortable to hold, that's when I'd get worried.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
My wife's S7 edge battery bloated and threw the back out ...but here phone was 3 years old by then....gave it to samsung for repairs for new battery....Note 20 U is just 1 year plus now

Mine whenever this happened was 1 year and 2 weeks old. Never dropped, got wet, etc. Perfect condition until this.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I had some heating issues with my Note 20 Ultra but this scares me to use the phone while it is hot!!

If it's hot, put it down. Mine started heating up then got hotter. Took a roadtrip across the US and the first day mine split. Absolutely no reason like sunlight, overuse, etc to cause it. This phone was rock solid before malfunction.

I have read other horror stories by searching online about them. From what I've read, Samsung knows about it but apparently needs more failures to address it globally. Go figure.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Warmth is generally fine, but if it's becoming uncomfortable to hold, that's when I'd get worried.

It wasn't as hot as you would think. Now, until I get it repaired I've noticed it's a hand warmer for sure. Sprint/Tmobile said not to leave it on charge and walk away. Basically babysit it while charging in the event it catches fire. A few reps stated to leave it turned off while I sleep.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
If you do a quick Google search outside of this app you will find I'm not the first person. My phone was doing fine until about a week before my trip in November.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89